Is it possible to continuously sequence music without gaps between songs?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have created a playlist of my all-time favorite 12" Dance Mixes. When I was creating my playlist on iTunes they all played straight thru without gaps (as any playlist does), yet I can't get them to play in a continuous sequence without gaps once they have been synced to my iPod.

It's annoying me because my playlist running order was influenced by the default continuous sequence overlap in iTunes, yet I cannot find anything from the help menu that clearly states how to continuously sequence specific playlists of my choosing. Does anyone know if this is even possible and if so, how is it done?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calicomoonchild View Post

I have created a playlist of my all-time favorite 12" Dance Mixes. When I was creating my playlist on iTunes they all played straight thru without gaps (as any playlist does), yet I can't get them to play in a continuous sequence without gaps once they have been synced to my iPod.

It's annoying me because my playlist running order was influenced by the default continuous sequence overlap in iTunes, yet I cannot find anything from the help menu that clearly states how to continuously sequence specific playlists of my choosing. Does anyone know if this is even possible and if so, how is it done?

Which iPod do you have?

Gapless playback has not been possible on iPod since they were released.

That is until the latest versions that have just come out (New Nano and New iPod). Only they can play music with no gaps.

If you have an older iPod then the only way to have the music play gapless is to load the whole CD into iTunes as one long track. That is an option you can select when you are importing tracks.

Ian
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

Which iPod do you have?

Gapless playback has not been possible on iPod since they were released.

That is until the latest versions that have just come out (New Nano and New iPod). Only they can play music with no gaps.

If you have an older iPod then the only way to have the music play gapless is to load the whole CD into iTunes as one long track. That is an option you can select when you are importing tracks.

Ian

I have the latest 80GB Model. I would also be interested to know the older way too, so I can experiment with both ways and decide what option is best for me?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calicomoonchild View Post

I have the latest 80GB Model. I would also be interested to know the older way too, so I can experiment with both ways and decide what option is best for me?

Your iPod can do Gapless Playback. So let's sort it out....

Have you marked the tracks you have imported into iTunes as Gapless Playback?

If not, select the tracks in iTunes that are in the album that should be gapless and then go to the File Menu and select the 'Get Info' option. You should now see a window where you can change the details of the tracks you have selected.

Down in the lower right hand corner there is a drop down list underneath the words "Gapless Album". If it says 'No', then click on the list so that it says 'Yes', now click OK.

If you no sync your iPod again it should play that album Gapless.

Ian
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

Your iPod can do Gapless Playback. So let's sort it out....

Have you marked the tracks you have imported into iTunes as Gapless Playback?

If not, select the tracks in iTunes that are in the album that should be gapless and then go to the File Menu and select the 'Get Info' option. You should now see a window where you can change the details of the tracks you have selected.

Down in the lower right hand corner there is a drop down list underneath the words "Gapless Album". If it says 'No', then click on the list so that it says 'Yes', now click OK.

If you no sync your iPod again it should play that album Gapless.

Ian

I highlighted the first (and second) tracks from my playlist and

chose:

File > Get Info > Info > Part Of A Gapless Album > Tick > OK

I then highlighted the second last (and last) tracks from my playlist and chose:

File > Get Info > Info > Part of a Compilation > OK

I then re-synced my iPod and skipped to the end/ start of the above tracks to assess the changes and to see which provided the best re-sequencing (prior to using one of the above options for the full playlist) . . . and absolutely nothing changed, there were STILL the same gaps between songs. Where am I going wrong?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Um ... Any ideas, anyone?

Or is this a really rare thing to successfully do. In which case no-one has an answer?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Well ?????
  • Reply 7 of 7
    My guess is that this is the difference between "gapless playback" and "crossfade fadeback." Gapless playback will eliminate added silence that iTunes used to insert between tracks, but it doesn't actually mix the ends and beginnings of tracks like a DJ can -- this is what crossfade playback does (in iTunes, go to iTunes -> Preferences -> Playback). And unfortunately, it looks like this function is only available in iTunes, not on the iPod.