Your favourite country?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
OK, if you could live anywhere in the world, apart from the place you live in now, where would you live? This is really random but these kind of conversations always come up with some interesting answers.

Personally, I would love to live in Iceland. The country is beautiful, the language is beautiful, the culture?beautiful. Although I?m not sure I?d like the food (petrified whale shark, anyone?). Plus it?s a really small country with only 300,000 inhabitants. Of course?that?d be in the summers.

In the winters, I would like to have my house in the mountains of California. Custom build, of course.

How about you?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    I'll bite (but not into the whale shark!).

Agreed on the two homes bit... summers can get really hot in places where winter is gorgeous, and winter can get too cold in places where summer is great.

Summer house in Sweden; the food is great, the language is great, the people are great, the girls are great (don't tell my wife I said that), the cars are great, the music is great... you get the picture.

Winter house on Yakushima island, Japan. There are hot springs along the beach, where waves will gently crash over you as you relax. There is a moutain inland that is covered by 1000-year old trees, and the people are great. Great camping, great hiking, great girls, great nature, great baths, great people... again, you get the picture.

However, my ultimate dream home would be a 45-foot yacht, such as this:

http://www.huntermarine.com/Images/M...C/45CCHead.jpg

That way, I could roam the world at will, discovering the wealth of wonderfulness around the globe. I have had this dream since I was a kid, and have spent many long hours plotting courses, studying countries, playing with languages. Even if the dream dosn't come true, it will still have imapcted my life greatly from the abundance of things I have learned just researching the possibility.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    If I do get stuck on land, I will build my own house to my own design, but that is for another thread.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I would love to live in Montréal. That way I could sill easily travel to visit my family in the U.S. Other than that, I would like to live in France. I despise the English language.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I would love to live in Montréal. That way I could sill easily travel to visit my family in the U.S. Other than that, I would like to live in France. I despise the English language.

Mais oui, mon amis. Vous parlez français?
  • Reply 5 of 44
    Summer and autumn in London, Winter and Spring in Paris or Rome.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Spring/Summers in Victoria, BC, Canada.

Fall/Winters (well, Summers really since it is in the other hemisphere) in Byron Bay, Australia.

and a condo in Manhattan.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Mars.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    I think I'd like to live in either Australia or Italy.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Australia is a good shout: there's not very much objectionable about Australia, although I'd say that's largely due to their favorably isolated geography. I spent some time in Australia about ten years ago, and I can't say I'd mind going back.

On another note. . .

Recently I was with some friends and we went around the table asking each other where they'd like to live most, much as the case with this thread, with the additional stipulation that money and such other details weren't issues. Half joking, I said "Slovakia," but the more I think about it, the more appealing it is. Slovakia is more or less a clean slate right now, and if you have drive and some luck, you could make a lot of difference in Slovakia. That appeals to me.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Tijuana, Mexico.

The donkeys are great. The girls are great. The shows are great.

You get the picture.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Djibouti?

Yes I did.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post

OK, if you could live anywhere in the world, apart from the place you live in now, where would you live? This is really random but these kind of conversations always come up with some interesting answers.

Personally, I would love to live in Iceland. The country is beautiful, the language is beautiful, the culture?beautiful. Although I?m not sure I?d like the food (petrified whale shark, anyone?). Plus it?s a really small country with only 300,000 inhabitants. Of course?that?d be in the summers.

In the winters, I would like to have my house in the mountains of California. Custom build, of course.

How about you?

As someone who lives in California, you do realize you'd be eligible to enjoy our mandatory semi-annual wildfires. I'd rather stay where I am. Southern California.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    France
  • Reply 14 of 44
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

France

I think I'd least like to live there. Germany is somewhat appealing. Perhaps even Spain. But France? Not for me, thanks.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I think I'd least like to live there. Germany is somewhat appealing. Perhaps even Spain. But France? Not for me, thanks.

At least in the Basque region, France is beautiful and Spain is a pit. I would much rather live in France than Spain (at least judging by that one little corner of both countries).
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I think they all have their appeal. Personally, I like Germany the best. I'm convinced, though, that there's something built into the white genome that makes European geography extremely appealing to us. That, and the high lattitude means less piercing sunshine. I think I've nearly burned out my retinas from three years in Florida. Now I have to go float around on some U-boats for a while until they clear up.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    I think my favorite country is Switzerland... It's hard to explain, but I think it is the best b/c it has so many different characteristics. I'd probably move to switzerland, even though i can't speak French/German... I like Switzerland b/c every time I go, it's always so pretty...and cool.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:

Mais oui, mon amis. Vous parlez français?

Je parle un peu le français.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:

...apart from the place you live in now...

I quoted that because it's just hard to beat the current country. Comments seem to be leaning toward geography rather than politics, and the USA has everything... mountans, beaches, prairies, forests, cold, hot, big cities, empty country... see it all without ever leaving "home".

But, basing this only on places I've actually been to, I'd be willing to move to Australia... Somewhere just south of Cairns perhaps. Townsville was nice. While tropical, the summers still aren't too oppressive.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Je parle un peu le français.

Haha my thoughts exactly.