Macbook and Macbook pro case redesign?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
How likely is it for a Macbook's case to be redesigned once they integrate Leopard and the Santa Rosa platform? Do you think it will undergo a major redesign ex. from ibook to macbook? or a minor one ex. from powerbook G4 to Macbook Pro?

How about for the Macbook Pro?

Any Thought's / opinions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    Minor Change, what more could they do to the design? It is about as simple as possible.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    What's wrong with the current design?
  • Reply 3 of 42
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    im in love with both designs right now, personally i have no idea what they could do to make them better. But, the MBP would get an update before the MB because the MB just got a facelift.

wasnt there a rumor bout the iMac getting a design change? how scary is that! this marvelous design has been with us for years, i dont think they could do better; im sure ill end up being surprised though.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    It would be sweet if we had, say, an onyx black, special edition, zirconia MBP.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

What's wrong with the current design?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The titanium PowerBook design was much better than the aluminum one (at least, for the first year of ownership). The aluminum PBs (which include the MBPs) can't open any wider than about 120 degrees. The screen also seems a little more wobbly, but it might be that the ones I've used had loose hinges. The edges seem a bit sharper too -- my wrists get deep marks in them if I use it for too long. By contrast, the titanium PowerBook could open 180 degrees (though the manual says not to), the screen was rock-steady while the hinges held (4 years and going strong on mine), and the edges of the were rounded and more comfortable to lean on.

Oh, the titanium didn't dent as easily either. My 4 year-old TiBook has been beat to hell but its never dented (scratched and chipped, yeah, but not dented). My girlfriend tripped over the power cord on her AlBook and the force of it dented the case pretty severely.

An ideal MBP would:

* Either fix the TiBook hinges or use a different design, but give me more freedom to open the screen,

* Use a material that doesn't require painting to look good, but is stronger than aluminum (I think parts of the TiBook were actually carbon fiber. An all carbon fiber chassis would look pretty bad ass, but it would also be pretty expensive. Also, the carbon fiber seriously messed with AirPort signals.),

* Have a magnetic latch like the MacBook, and

* Have rounded corners for ergonomically-challenged typers like myself

But, to be honest, I'd settle for the same-old-same-old.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    xhorxhixhorxhi Posts: 46member
    Elron,

I could not disagree more.

The design failures of the Titanium PB are manifold and some are unforgivable

I will say that the battered and battle-scared TiBook 800 DVI machine (circa 2001) I have is a real trouper despite its shoddy design. That it even boots up is incredible after all it has been through. Entire carbon fiber "bezel" has terminal cancer (known paint issue). The day I got it I was shocked to find what little torsional stiffness the chassis had. A "one handed" grab "pizza box" style had me squeezing the damn thing so hard I felt I might crush it with my thumb and forefinger. One handed "sandwich grip" book style it is so slippery your afraid to drop it. If that werent enough a few falls of the couch cushion only 15 inches to the floor onto carpet snapped off the left outer hinge pin. The other thing that happened was that I picked it up off my lap too fast and the angle of the screen allowed it to snap open a full 180 degrees and broke the inner structural bezel on the screen and separated the titanium bezel from the the corner of the titanium top plate and in so doing, bent that entire inside and outside corner apart on the good hinge side. That alone makes a good case for NOT having too much screen opening angle. Suffice to say that that I have no way to know if the aluminum PB is better or worse. The ones l checked in store at CompUSA had much better torsional stiffness, and I rather liked the single hinge design better than the TiBook hinges. Overall my experience with the TiBook is that it was a mostly very good operating machine software wise and certain but as a utilitarian "appliance" it left much to be desired. I've been an Apple NUT since 1990 and frankley as good looking as the designs have been over the years at this point in my life I don't give a HOOT how it looks if it is not sturdy enough so that I don't have to treat it like a carton of eggs!
  • Reply 7 of 42
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    The MacBook IS a new design over the iBook, the only Mac to get a new look with the Intel transition (if you don't count the Mac Pro 2nd drive tray). The only thing I would want to change on the MB and MBP is the angle of the screen when open, but the Ti design isn't the way to do it, the hinge was pretty fragile. A magnetic latch on the MBP would be good too.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

The MacBook IS a new design over the iBook, the only Mac to get a new look with the Intel transition (if you don't count the Mac Pro 2nd drive tray). The only thing I would want to change on the MB and MBP is the angle of the screen when open, but the Ti design isn't the way to do it, the hinge was pretty fragile. A magnetic latch on the MBP would be good too.

I apriceate (HAAA could not resist!!!) that you agree about the TiBook hinges. But I have to boost the understatement; Those TiBook hinges aren't just fragile, they SUCK!
  • Reply 9 of 42
    ddanielddaniel Posts: 12member
    Well hopefully it'll be redesigned to be like a tablet-PC to suit the multitouch screen i'm praying it'll have.

I woulder how apple would handle the design... all current tablet PC's are kinda ugly
  • Reply 10 of 42
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elron View Post

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The titanium PowerBook design was much better than the aluminum one (at least, for the first year of ownership).

OK, although I don't believe that more than 1% of the users need opening anlges for the display beyond 120 degrees, let's say that you have some point here. But then what about the hinge mechanism? Horrible peeling off of the painting?
  • Reply 11 of 42
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xhorxhi View Post

Suffice to say that that I have no way to know if the aluminum PB is better or worse. The ones l checked in store at CompUSA had much better torsional stiffness, and I rather liked the single hinge design better than the TiBook hinges.

The hinges of the Aluminum Powerbooks are much better than those of the Titanium ones. They feel so much more solid and smooth when operated. Morever, they have some kind of dynamic behavior in the sense that they resist more when you open the display and less when you close it, so that opening/closing gets a more natural feeling.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elron View Post

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The titanium PowerBook design was much better than the aluminum one (at least, for the first year of ownership). The aluminum PBs (which include the MBPs) can't open any wider than about 120 degrees. The screen also seems a little more wobbly, but it might be that the ones I've used had loose hinges. The edges seem a bit sharper too -- my wrists get deep marks in them if I use it for too long. By contrast, the titanium PowerBook could open 180 degrees (though the manual says not to), the screen was rock-steady while the hinges held (4 years and going strong on mine), and the edges of the were rounded and more comfortable to lean on.

Oh, the titanium didn't dent as easily either. My 4 year-old TiBook has been beat to hell but its never dented (scratched and chipped, yeah, but not dented). My girlfriend tripped over the power cord on her AlBook and the force of it dented the case pretty severely.

An ideal MBP would:

* Either fix the TiBook hinges or use a different design, but give me more freedom to open the screen,

* Use a material that doesn't require painting to look good, but is stronger than aluminum (I think parts of the TiBook were actually carbon fiber. An all carbon fiber chassis would look pretty bad ass, but it would also be pretty expensive. Also, the carbon fiber seriously messed with AirPort signals.),

* Have a magnetic latch like the MacBook, and

* Have rounded corners for ergonomically-challenged typers like myself

But, to be honest, I'd settle for the same-old-same-old.

I'm with you.

I have a 4 year old - last model TI book.

No paint peeling - no hinge problems. It still looks brand new. And this machine was used every day for three and a half years.

The ultra-thin screen bezel makes the design look radically more modern than the inch-thick border around the MacBook and the MacBook Pro. The case is thinner and lighter and the chassis is really rigid. I can see why the exterior hinge bugs some people, but it means that all the ports are on the back side.

The only design flaw was the keyboard. It was a millimetre too high. So the keys touch the screen when closed.

The feature I hate most about the AlBook is the grey plasic lips. Which makes it look like the AlBook is made from plastic with a silver veneer. Also the plastic-sprayed-silver - keyboard looks kinda cheap. Even the screen bezel is silver painted plastic. Which is how the iSight LED shines thru.

Designwise - I do like the Black MacBook - it has a really pure "slab" design. But the fat screen bezels make the screen look toylike.

I'd love to see the MacBookPro move to a cleaner rounder design. Going to Aluminum & Black (leaving behind aluminum and faux-metal & grey plastic). Material joints should be at the sides and back. Not on the inside surfaces or on the outside case.

C.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    rogue68rogue68 Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I'm with you.

No paint peeling - no hinge problems. It still looks brand new. And this machine was used every day for three and a half years.

The ultra-thin screen bezel makes the design look radically more modern than the inch-thick border around the MacBook and the MacBook Pro. The case is thinner and lighter and the chassis is really rigid. I can see why the exterior hinge bugs some people, but it means that all the ports are on the back side.

The only design flaw was the keyboard. It was a millimetre too high. So the keys touch the screen when closed.

The feature I hate most about the AlBook is the grey plasic lips. Which makes it look like the AlBook is made from plastic with a silver veneer. Also the plastic-sprayed-silver - keyboard looks kinda cheap. Even the screen bezel is silver painted plastic. Which is how the iSight LED shines thru.

Designwise - I do like the Black MacBook - it has a really pure "slab" design. But the fat screen bezels make the screen look toylike.

I'd love to see the MacBookPro move to a cleaner rounder design. Going to Aluminum & Black (leaving behind aluminum and faux-metal & grey plastic). Material joints should be at the sides and back. Not on the inside surfaces or on the outside case.

C.

Agree with most of this. Every time I see the Albook I look at that ugly silver keyboard and think 'why, why, why'. The transluscent black Tibook keyboard is way classier.

Re: hinges, both the hinges on my 5 year old Tibook have just gone within weeks of each other - built in obsolescence or what? Give it a year or so...

As for the oft-mooted notion the Tibook/Albook basic design can't be improved, I disagree. I still want to see a splashproof/knockproof design + more rounded forms.

I'd also like to see more transluscency + industrial metallics. The macbooks look like cheap plastic toys to me & the macbook pro like a macbook sprayed silver. As far as looks alone go, I still think the Tibook slaughtered the Albook, but of course, titanium's an expensive metal.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:

Elron,

I could not disagree more.

The design failures of the Titanium PB are manifold and some are unforgivable

I will say that the battered and battle-scared TiBook 800 DVI machine (circa 2001) I have is a real trouper despite its shoddy design. That it even boots up is incredible after all it has been through. Entire carbon fiber "bezel" has terminal cancer (known paint issue). The day I got it I was shocked to find what little torsional stiffness the chassis had. A "one handed" grab "pizza box" style had me squeezing the damn thing so hard I felt I might crush it with my thumb and forefinger. One handed "sandwich grip" book style it is so slippery your afraid to drop it. If that werent enough a few falls of the couch cushion only 15 inches to the floor onto carpet snapped off the left outer hinge pin. The other thing that happened was that I picked it up off my lap too fast and the angle of the screen allowed it to snap open a full 180 degrees and broke the inner structural bezel on the screen and separated the titanium bezel from the the corner of the titanium top plate and in so doing, bent that entire inside and outside corner apart on the good hinge side. That alone makes a good case for NOT having too much screen opening angle. Suffice to say that that I have no way to know if the aluminum PB is better or worse. The ones l checked in store at CompUSA had much better torsional stiffness, and I rather liked the single hinge design better than the TiBook hinges. Overall my experience with the TiBook is that it was a mostly very good operating machine software wise and certain but as a utilitarian "appliance" it left much to be desired. I've been an Apple NUT since 1990 and frankley as good looking as the designs have been over the years at this point in my life I don't give a HOOT how it looks if it is not sturdy enough so that I don't have to treat it like a carton of eggs!

Aside from the paint issue (a cosmetic issue), I disagree with how you've characterized the durability of the TiBook. I've had mine since 2002 and the entire time, I've treated it like the $3000 computer that it is. No falling off my couch, no picking it up too fast, no opening and closing the lid without caution. Having said that, I've also carried my computer almost daily in my Marmot daypack, removing it and replacing it probably 5-6x/day. I've always kept it in a Waterfield Designs sleevecase, and even when I use the computer, I place it on top of the sleevecase so it rarely, if ever, contacts a hard surface.

If this sounds like I've handled my Powerbook gingerly, I haven't. Again, I simply have tried to treat it like it's worth the $3000 I paid (which, to me, may as well be $1 million at this point.)
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I'm with you.

C.

Wow, you've done a good job summarizing my opinions of the new PBs. I haven't been able to express what bugs me about them, but those are exactly why.

I just love the looks of the TiBook, and it's for those reasons precisely. With the exception of the paint issue (which has made mine look older than it should) it's pristine.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

Aside from the paint issue (a cosmetic issue) I've treated it like the $3000 computer that it is

WHAAAAT are you stoned? "$3000" and "peeling paint dont even belong in the same paragraph. But if the shoe fits!! It's not been only my experience but hundreds (maybe thousands) of others. That was a major mistake by Apple.

Quote:

Aside from the paint issue (a cosmetic issue), I disagree with how you've characterized the durability of the TiBook. I've had mine since 2002 and the entire time, I've treated it like the $3000 computer that it is. No falling off my couch,

Pardon me Pete, but the hinges on the TiBook ARE VERY vulnerable. A 15" TiBook weighs around 5 lbs. Inadvertant accidents happen. A fall onto carpet from 15 inches should not easily snap off structural parts of a notebook computer regardless of cost. No damage would have been incured with the current MBP or the MacBook and I wish someone would post about their experience with the single hinge Books.

Quote:

no picking it up too fast, no opening and closing the lid without caution.

I did indeed thrust the computer upward. How much of a rate of acceleration can 6 inches of travel make. I cn't examine the physics here Pete but the weight and momentum of the screen/lid portion of the TiBook should not be able to destroy structural parts of the computer. If I forced it open and "hyperextended" the hinge and snapped it that would be different. As you say it is a $3000 computer. It should not self destruct so easily at $3000. Clearly the ambition of "looking cool" compromised the durability of the TiBook.

Also I never said I did not shut the TiBook with caution. I ALWAYS shut the TiBook with caution BECAUSE the latch mechanism NEVER kept the thing shut. Pick it up wrong and it would pop open and "wakeup" and snap back shut just as soon as tension would relax the chassis back to its normal state. The chassis flex NEVER ALLOWED THE LATCH TO STAY CLOSED And this was in it's pristine state with no hinge problems. I'll concede your good experience with the the TiBook. Please allow for others who've not had as much luck as you.

Quote:

I've had mine since 2002 and the entire time, I've treated it like the $3000 computer that it is. No falling off my couch, no picking it up too fast, no opening and closing the lid without caution. Having said that, I've also carried my computer almost daily in my Marmot daypack, removing it and replacing it probably 5-6x/day. I've always kept it in a Waterfield Designs sleevecase, and even when I use the computer, I place it on top of the sleevecase so it rarely, if ever, contacts a hard surface.

If this sounds like I've handled my Powerbook gingerly, I haven't. Again, I simply have tried to treat it like it's worth the $3000 I paid (which, to me, may as well be $1 million at this point.)

YES Pete it not only "sounds like" you've handled your TiBook gingerly, you HAVE handled it gingerly and my hats off to you. I started out handling mine gingerly (anal). But I did not thence jump right to "full on " abuse!\

My TiBook has not been a bad computer. As I said I cannot believe it still is running. Over time it has gotten even flimsier with wear and tear. That loosens tolerances inside the electronics since they are mounted to structural parts of the frame. It is amazing in that regard. As a computer it has been relatively free of lockups/freezes, and runs as fast as can be expected as old as it is. As a physical device though it has serious defects and limitations when compared to other notebook computers. It was a slim sharp looking unit that now it tatered (paint) broken (hinges) and has the battery permanently taped in.

The screen is still wonderful which surprises me since it has rested on the keys just like most other TiBooks. When off the keyboard scars are visable on the black screen, and it bothered me for awhile but I don't even care anymore.

I use it. It is a tool to get my work done. It is a personnal companion to entertain my thoughts. It is my main information and communication portal. It is not a fashion statement. I don't give a $hit what others think or how "COOL" it looks. I just wanted it to last and it did in the most important areas. But it is a raged mess of a computer at this point and at $3000 I expected much better "COSMETICALLY" AND structurally.

No need to defend your computer Pete, I'm happy for you but it's just a computer.

5 times the amount of money will get you a cheap "AMURACAN" automobile that in six years with a little washing and waxing, will make it through the midwest winters and look way better than my computer does.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    tonyd007tonyd007 Posts: 36member
    Although it would be AWESOME to have a titanium Macbook Pro, I highly doubt that Apple will produce one. Mainly just to keep the cost down. Maybe they should have a Titanium case as an upgrade. I think that would be a wise decision and would make many customers happy.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    I just want to clarify one thing: I don't want them to go back to the titanium design. It had a number of serious design issues and I understand that the only reason I haven't experience them is luck.

Still, to me it was a more functional and better-looking laptop than the aluminum PowerBook. Maybe only 1% of people want a laptop screen that opens wider. I haven't done a survey. I just know that it's nice to have the ability, especially when you need to take it apart.

Quote:

WHAAAAT are you stoned? "$3000"

Quote:

Pardon me Pete, but the hinges on the TiBook ARE VERY vulnerable.

Quote:

I cn't examine the physics here Pete but the weight and momentum of the screen/lid portion of the TiBook

Quote:

YES Pete it not only "sounds like" you've handled your TiBook gingerly, you HAVE handled it gingerly and my hats off to you.

Quote:

I'll concede your good experience with the the TiBook. Please allow for others who've not had as much luck as you.

It's pretty big of you to concede that point, X. To be honest, I think you're coming off as a bit patronizing, but I'm sure it's not intentional. It probably wouldn't hurt if you followed the advice you gave Pete in that last quote.

I've only really handled 1 TiBook and 1 AlBook. Of the two, the AlBook is in far worse shape. It doesn't matter much because Apple won't go back to an old design for the new MBP. I just hope that if they do redesign it, they look at some of the things that made the TiBook a nice computer.

Quote:

5 times the amount of money will get you a cheap "AMURACAN" automobile that in six years with a little washing and waxing, will make it through the midwest winters and look way better than my computer does.

Is there a point? A $15k car will last longer than a $3k computer. Yup, sounds about right.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TonyD007 View Post

Although it would be AWESOME to have a titanium Macbook Pro, I highly doubt that Apple will produce one. Mainly just to keep the cost down. Maybe they should have a Titanium case as an upgrade. I think that would be a wise decision and would make many customers happy.

Not to put all those who think Titanium is expensive in their place, but I would gently remind everyone here that the number of cases being stamped out and the guage of material being used does not have very much substantial cost increase compared to other more costly components and engineering issues. So IF Apple used titanium it would not be much of an issue. The Aluminum MacBooks have heavier guage skin than the TiBooks and seem much stiffer to me than TiBooks. Titanium and its strength applications in structural engineering have little to do with its application as a covering on TiBooks. IT was mostly a gimmick though the titainium is less apt to dent and is much more scratch resistant than aluminum.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    FWIW,

I am holding out as long as I can to see what the next form of MacBook happens, but my screen is close to falling off of my current machine. As they say "buy it when you need it"