Cross country road trip

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
It's happening. I finished working on my Florida condo and am packing up and moving to Silicon Valley (I have a few appealing job offers out there). It costs $1400 to transport my car and fly myself there. On the other hand, I can drive out there for less, and also check out some states that I've never been through. I want to do the trip is less than five days, preferably four or less.

Any suggestions, comments, and additions are welcome. If I didn't indeed want them, I wouldn't have told you bums!

Here's the current intinerary. (whip out your google earth)

--- Day one (Marathon) ---

1. Start in Melbourne, FL

28° 4'37.51"N - 80°36'32.99"W

That's the 'ol condo. My car is the white one in the SE of the lot (a Subie WRX).

2. Leaving Florida: this takes me north and east across the pan-handle

North on I-95 to 528, which goes through Orlando

Connect to I-75 N

Connect to I-10 W

3. I-10 takes me through Mobile, Alabama. I'm not sure if it's worth stopping or not.

4. I-10 changes to I-110 and goes through Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Again, I'm not sure if it's worth stopping.

5. I-10 goes through Texas. Don't mess with Texas.

6. I-10 takes me through a pretty empty part of New Mexico and to Tuscon, Arizona. If I have been driving straight, which as of now is the plan, it will have been a little under 30 hours of road time. I'm stopping in Tucson to sleep.

-- Day 2 (Hill Climb) ---

6b. Check out the Pima Air Museum in Tuscon. I have a thing for military aircraft.

6c. Drive up Mt. Lemmon.

7. Take I-10 through Phoenix, switch to I-17 and then old route 180 to the Grand Canyon.

8. Take small roads along the canyon to old route 89 into southern Utah and through Zion national park on Utah state route 9. I'll probably spend the night near Zion.

-- Day 3 (Across the Desert) --

9. Take I-15 to Las Vegas. I'm not terribly interested in Vegas, but am up for suggestions.

10. Take old route 95 through Nevada, connect to old route 6 and then to California state route 120, which goes through Yosemite. Spend the night in Yosemite.

-- Day 4 (The homestretch) --

11. Continue on 120 to I-205/I-580, drive through Oakland, across the bay, south on state road 1 across the Golden Gate, and to SF to meet my friend who I'll be staying with until I get a place in the valley. I should be reasonably well rested since it will probably be saturday the 14th, might we decide to hit the bottle.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Four days, across country might not leave much time for sight seeing.

I'm sure you can do it, but those could be some long days. I drove from Sacramento to Ft. Worth in two days [noon Sunday to noon Tuesday] once, but I wouldn't do it again.

Also, think about cutting across Death Valley and then up through Bishop and then to Yosemite. (and use low gear going down)
  • Reply 2 of 26
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmz View Post

Yeah, that's the unfortunate truth. That's why I'm trying to stick to sites where I can stay in the car. I need to be there for the week starting monday 16th April to conduct a few interviews, etc, (I haven't committed yet to any offers), but I want to hit SF with my friend on saturday. If I left now I could hit all sorts of places, but there's still some unfinished business here. I'd estimate that it would take two days to sort out the business, but I've learned over the years that I'm exuberant, and that in all likelihood I'll be here until the tenth.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    If you can get from Melbourne to Tuscon in 30 hours your are doing AWESOME! It's possible, but I wouldn't count on it...

If you like this sort of thing, spending a night sampling the night-life along Bourbon St in New Orleans is worth it. If you're gonna bypass stopping in New Oleans or Red Stick, then take the I-12 bypass around the north side of lake Ponchetrain (it reconnects with I-10 in Baton Rouge)... much quicker than staying on I-10.

Galveston (an hour each way off I-10) has a pretty decent Air Museum.

If you need a break in San Antonio... take a walk along the RiverWalk downtown (and check out the Alamo)... get a meal there. No really... a beautiful place... worth it.

The speed limit on I-10 west of San Antonio is 80 ... let that WRX run ! (is it an STi ??) From Beumont to El Paso ... 980 miles just in TX.

Zion and Monument Valley are AWESOME ... definitely take your time through there.

I have the same opinion of Vegas... but if you stop, watch the water fountains in front of the Belagio... they do a choreographed show every 30 minutes. It's the best show in Vegas (IMHO).
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Just a plain WRX. But it should do. I used to have an RX-7, and before they put cops on I-95 in FL I used to exceed 100mph as the norm. The WRX isn't as powerful or aerodynamic, but it can hold more cargo.

I've already been to most of the places between FL and Tuscon, which is why I'm skipping them. I haven't been to some of the second towns like Baton Rouge, etc, which is why they're listed. But, yeah, New Orleans and San Antonio are definitely good places to stop. No doubt about that.

As for Mel to Tuscon, Mapquest says 30 hours, and I can usually beat them. Radar detector, check. I'm also putting together an implement that I won't go into further detail about which should help speed things (let your imagination run wild). Plus, it's good training for the gumball 3000, which I have vowed to myself that I will partake in at some point. Once I make a few, cool mil.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Spline, it's about time you made the right decision!

While you're in San Francisco, go to the Giants game this weekend. We play the Dodgers...

If you don't go, I'll still require you to go to one game this season now that you are so close.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Make sure to check the air pressure in the spare.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

While you're in San Francisco, go to the Giants game this weekend. We play the Dodgers...

If by play you mean get your asses handed to you by, then you are correct.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

It's happening. I finished working on my Florida condo and am packing up and moving to Silicon Valley (I have a few appealing job offers out there).

So jealous, BTW.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Spline, it's about time you made the right decision!

If you don't go, I'll still require you to go to one game this season now that you are so close.

I'll still be in Florida this weekend. I'll be in San Francisco next weekend. I'm definitely game for watching baseball at some point, though, so just send email. If Slewis wants to come too, I'll even buy him a soda and souvenir bat.

On a similar note, I am very upset that the San Jose soccer team left town. A few years ago a group of friends and I began a grassroots movement to spread soccer-related rowdiness and gambling to America. I would have snapped up some season tickets in a heartbeat, even despite the relative lack of quality of the league.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    I would fly personally. I don't like driving for such long periods of time. Take a brick if you do decide to drive so you can weigh down the pedal if you don't have cruise control because your foot will get tired. Take toilet paper in case you need to well, y'know, at the side of the road and take lots of fluids.

You might even consider whether or not you need a car where you're going to live. If I was moving such a long distance, I'd be considering selling it. It depends on if you have a good car though and whether it will still be a good car when you arrive.

Good luck on the move whichever you decide to do.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BR View Post

If by play you mean get your asses handed to you by, then you are correct.

You would poke your little greasy nose in this conversation.

I was wondering when you'd throw the first stone of the season.

Go crawl back in your little blue hole...

• Reply 12 of 26
    WARNING: HIGHWAY 120 IS CLOSED DURING THIS TIME OF THE YEAR THROUGH YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK

Apparently no one here is from California or Nevada. Hopefully you learn that 120 is not accessible before you drive 6 hours out of the way only to have to either turn around or go up north to Tahoe and then back down on the west side of the sierra nevada. (Sonora Pass is also closed at this time of the year)

Your best bet is to do what I did a few weeks ago and take I-15 to to CA-58 through the Tehachapi Pass and then take Highway 99 North and decide whether you want to go to Yosemite 9Highway 41) or just go to SF (205/580)
  • Reply 13 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmz View Post

I'm sure you can do it, but those could be some long days. I drove from Sacramento to Ft. Worth in two days [noon Sunday to noon Tuesday] once, but I wouldn't do it again.

Also, think about cutting across Death Valley and then up through Bishop and then to Yosemite. (and use low gear going down)

I drove from California to Colorado in one day. By myself. No radio or tape player. No one else in the car to talk to. No cell phone. And my car almost died off the highway leaving Vegas... in the dead of winter... late at night. That was one scary trip.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    You want sightseeing?

Texas is really, really, really big.

Take I-10/20 to DFW, then I-35 North to I-70 to Selina, KS and hang a left. I-70 into Denver. I-25 from Denver up to I-80. Then I-80 to CA.

That? That's scenic. You drive I-10 across and you get an introduction to beige.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    What ended up happening was kind of a let down. A front came through the southwest and I had to fight to keep the car on the road. It coincided with final third of the 28-hour trek to Tucson, and when I woke up the next day, my arms were actually a little sore. I didn't think it would be a good idea to drive around the mountains much more, but I did instead get a decent look at Tucson.

I also got the chance to drive over CA-152 in the night. It's a road that goes over some mountains between the valley (I-5) and the northern californian "coast" (CA-101). I was following a guy who was going way too fast, but I couldn't resist the urge to keep up. Those 20 minutes or so of driving were worth all of the scenery I may have missed. Turbochargers are fantastic. Thanks to the CHP for not being around.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

What ended up happening was kind of a let down. A front came through the southwest and I had to fight to keep the car on the road. It coincided with final third of the 28-hour trek to Tucson, and when I woke up the next day, my arms were actually a little sore. I didn't think it would be a good idea to drive around the mountains much more, but I did instead get a decent look at Tucson.

I also got the chance to drive over CA-152 in the night. It's a road that goes over some mountains between the valley (I-5) and the northern californian "coast" (CA-101). I was following a guy who was going way too fast, but I couldn't resist the urge to keep up. Those 20 minutes or so of driving were worth all of the scenery I may have missed. Turbochargers are fantastic. Thanks to the CHP for not being around.

You just missed desert and a massive detour so I think you probably lucked out.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    I Would Drive Your Car Cross Country For 250.00 I Am Taking A Month Off Of Work And Can Leave Asap April20 If You Left Already Good Luck Dude, If You Would Rather Spend The 1400 To Transport Your Totally Understandable, If Ou Want A Cross Country Buddy Just Email Me.

Regards,

Sean
  • Reply 18 of 26

I don't know even where to start.

As a matter of fact, I'm not going to say a damn thing...
  • Reply 19 of 26
    I Would Drive Your Car Cross Country For 250.00 I Am Taking A Week Off Of Work And Can Leave Asap April20 If You Left Already Good Luck Dude, If You Would Rather Spend The 1400 To Transport Your Totally Understandable, If Ou Want A Cross Country Buddy Just Email Me.

Regards,

Sean
  • Reply 20 of 26
    [QUOTE=raznell32;1072803]I Would Drive Your Car Cross Country For 250.00 I Am Taking A Week Off Of Work And Can Leave Asap April20 If You Left Already Good Luck Dude, If You Would Rather Spend The 1400 To Transport Your Totally Understandable, If Ou Want A Cross Country Buddy Just Email Me.

Regards,

Sean

P.S. I MEANT A MONTH OFF OF WORK