Desperately needed: 4MB Memory Upgrade for Laserwriter 4/600

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
... I tried everything, contacted all the software companies- no luck.

Can anyone here steer me towards finding the 4MB Memory Upgrade for Laserwriter 4/600 (Apple part # M4166G/A or equivalent) ?

Thanks a lot,

JM

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juniormarbles View Post

... I tried everything, contacted all the software companies- no luck.

Can anyone here steer me towards finding the 4MB Memory Upgrade for Laserwriter 4/600 (Apple part # M4166G/A or equivalent) ?

Thanks a lot,

JM

Why would you need such a thing?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ...because the stock 2MB memory is not sufficient for loading (and printing) complex documents- it either conks out totally or loads the info so slowly that it is inefficient.

A friend has the 6MB memory on the same machine, and his works four times as fast and loads all documents without complaints.

Now that I told you why, I'm sure you have an answer form me where I can find the upgrade chip, right?

JM
  • Reply 3 of 9
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    check the ebay, or mac parts joints, but seriously, it may be worth it to just buy a new one.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I'd suggest getting the actual specs on the part (form factor, speed, pin count, etc) and then call Crucial with them.

They do have a few such things... http://www.crucial.com/search/srchrs...iter&submit=Go
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

... call Crucial...

Did that, no luck. They and all others refer to this part as a "proprietary" memory chip.

Is there a department at Apple which I could contact? Maybe they still have a dusty bin in some warehouse? Or maybe they have a sub-contractor who bought this obsolete stuff from them, waiting for a desperado like me to pay the big bucks?

Kind regards,

JM
  • Reply 6 of 9
    OH my! Just get a new printer there cheap ones out there that will print better.

Its obvious nobody makes that memory anymore.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

OH my! Just get a new printer

Thanks for your excellent advice!

Seriously: I see nothing wrong with trying to keep using a trusted printer.

This way, I am making a (admittedly, minute) difference towards sustainability and against a throwaway lifestyle.

Just because a new printer is cheap to buy does not mean it's an inconsequential act to throw things away and deplete resources when not necessary.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juniormarbles View Post

Thanks for your excellent advice!

Seriously: I see nothing wrong with trying to keep using a trusted printer.

This way, I am making a (admittedly, minute) difference towards sustainability and against a throwaway lifestyle.

Just because a new printer is cheap to buy does not mean it's an inconsequential act to throw things away and deplete resources when not necessary.

You have heard of RECYCLING, right?

On the other hand I think i just solved your problem!!!

http://www.memoryx.net/las46ps.html

This site has it listed on there website, I just not sure how you would about purchasing it.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    1-866-MemoryX

Another problem solved at AI Forums.