You're tricked by Apple and Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
?Hey man, have you gotten your Apple TV??

?Yes, and yours??

?I got it, too.?

Last week, all the people were talking about this little box, this cute, wireless, new-concept, set-top box. It is astonishing that it is so beautiful and it is really ?wireless?, all you get are an Apple TV and a power supply cable. You will have to buy the other cables to connect to the TV additionally.

After we connected it with the TV and the computer, actually, we found that it didn?t make our living rooms more enjoyable like we supposed to be. We have no choice at all. We can only get the video to Apple TV from the only one source: from iTunes, via the wireless network adapter, and then piped out to the HDTV. It will make our TV feel strange to our DVD Player and our traditional TV Program. We can?t watch our home DVD. We can?t view our former video that encoded as XviD format. We can?t view HD Movie on our HDTV!

There is only 640*480 video sold on iTunes now, even though the Apple TV can adjust the video to 720p (which is similar to the video quality of DVD), the video effect will not be gratifying. Maybe there will be videos at high resolution sold on iTunes, but it doesn?t now.

So we?d find our way to make the flat screen TV work effectively. Find a way to transfer our former family video and beloved LPs to Apple TV. A number of programs will help you turn your video and DVD to Apple TV video/audio files. (Video to Apple TV Converter Click here to Download).

a)Many people complain that the 40G hard drive of Apple TV is too small. Seriously speaking, 40 GB is smaller than our iPod and we don't like to have to pick and choose what to sync. It is more troublesome than switch the DVD disk in DVD player. Then you can upgrade the hard drive like this, look, this will probably make you lose your Apple warranty.

Find it here

b)Apple TV's another most disappointing trait is its inability to play nice with different video formats. But that doesn't mean you're stuck with MPEG-4 and H.264. Follow these instructions and soon you'll be able to add XviD and perhaps a few other video codec to your new white box.

Find it here

c)Far from being a hack, but useful nonetheless, is confirmation that Apple TV does indeed work with non-HDTV. All you need is a TV with component inputs. Just make sure your TV has a simulated widescreen mode and you're good to go.

Find it here

When or if Apple TV will allow people to use these function in the next generation, it is not sure yet, even it is useless now, but I like it very much, and doesn't feel any loss, because I got an Apple Computer without monitor at $299.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    That's an excellent post that I hate because it's stupid and enlightening. Please continue to never again share your pointless thoughts that i enjoy so thoroughly.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Despite it's short comings, Apple TV still seems very alluring!
  • Reply 3 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Yawn.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Actually, 720p is far above DVD quality. DVDs tend to be around 720x480, which isn't too far off what Apple sells.

As for watching TV or DVDs, just because you've bought an Apple TV doesn't mean that your existing appliances cease to function. If you want to watch a DVD, use your DVD player
  • Reply 5 of 13
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You weren't tricked you just didn't read. All that is clearly stated on AppleTV website.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    I think that the success of the Apple TV relies heavily on the "reality distortion field" that is constantly surrounding new Apple products. For the record, I love every Apple item I've ever owned, but the Apple TV is one that definitely won't be gracing my living room.

In a number of reviews I've read on it, some say that the picture isn't that good, while others say the quality is absolutely wonderful. So to settle the matter, I went and watched some video on it myself. Sure enough, it looks wonderful... from 20 feet away with your eyes slightly squinted. It's a device that is designed to hook up only to HDTVs and yet it doesn't really do well with HD video. The content you can buy from iTunes is nowhere near the quality of HD and in order to get your own video to display in a near HD resolution, you have to spend quite a bit of time converting it from one format to another. This is hardly the easy solution that Apple claims it is.

To me it just seems like Apple TV is an expensive solution for bringing iTunes videos to your television. The videos on iTunes are great quality for your iPod or in a window on your computer, but when you show them on a 32" HDTV, they look horrible.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    i've got one and i couldn't be happier listening to music, watching diggnation video podcasts, epicurious, and macbreak video podcasts on mine. its plugged into a 52" 1080p tv and looks fabulous. like any content i put on there( the TV), it varies, from SD channel to HD channel, dvd to hd dvd, etc. -- not everything looks good or great. most people with 1080p tv's understand this.

for me, its a terrific addition to my entertainment system. i love it. no RDF needed, it works as I expected and does a lot of things better than I thought it would, like streaming. Its flawless.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I wish I could just dump all of my vids and music and photos onto the apple TV and not have them on my MBP. A NAS device for all of my entertainment needs.

They take up too much space on the MBP and, they would be better streamed FROM my Apple TV.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Still confused what Apple are thinking about apple tv?!

Perhaps I shuould charge it back.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    I always buy products based on my assumption that they can do something without researching it first. Doesn't everyone?

You do make very good points though. I'm sure AppleTV will evolve into a more universal devise, or Apple will miss a great opportunity in taking hold the digital media market, the very thing that they have created.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Can someone tell me why we are all responding to the post of an obvious spammer? Have you checked the links at all?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Can someone tell me why we are all responding to the post of an obvious spammer? Have you checked the links at all?

links checked.

maybe a spammer, but not obvious.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    yea, this is stupid