iPhone and .Mac

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Has there been any information on iPhone being capable of over-the air-syncing?

Right now with .Mac, I can hit "sync" and all my info is sync'd between the .Mac service, both Mac's, and my iPod. When viewing the iPhone keynote, Jobs mentioned you can sync your iphone by docking it in the cradle.

While docking is fine for syncing and iPod, if the iPhone has both WiFi and EDGE, shouldn't it be capable of syncing wirelessly too? If one was able to push calendar and addressbook changes to and from the phone wirelessly, wouldn't it be the first phone to have such a simple software/hardware solution?

I know Blackberry can do this as long as you have MS Hosted Exchange, MS Office, Blackberry Phone and Blackberry Enterprise Server. This works well and is scalable for many hundreds/thousands of employees, but probably not a typical consumer type product.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geobe View Post

Has there been any information on iPhone being capable of over-the air-syncing?

Right now with .Mac, I can hit "sync" and all my info is sync'd between the .Mac service, both Mac's, and my iPod. When viewing the iPhone keynote, Jobs mentioned you can sync your iphone by docking it in the cradle.

While docking is fine for syncing and iPod, if the iPhone has both WiFi and EDGE, shouldn't it be capable of syncing wirelessly too? If one was able to push calendar and addressbook changes to and from the phone wirelessly, wouldn't it be the first phone to have such a simple software/hardware solution?

I know Blackberry can do this as long as you have MS Hosted Exchange, MS Office, Blackberry Phone and Blackberry Enterprise Server. This works well and is scalable for many hundreds/thousands of employees, but probably not a typical consumer type product.

I think the iPhone will be able to sync over WiFi or Bluetooth the same way most phones do now. Most desktop PCs don't have Bluetooth, and most office/corporate PCs won't use WiFi, so I think the dock will serve as the primary sync method for a lot of users. For us Mac users I'm confident the experience will be a seamless as possible.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Spam is not good. I have been banned and will not do it again. I have gone to contemplate my shame.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by askripko View Post

P A R A D O X - Mod has deleted spam

Please don't spam the forum with useless posts.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

I think the iPhone will be able to sync over WiFi or Bluetooth the same way most phones do now. Most desktop PCs don't have Bluetooth, and most office/corporate PCs won't use WiFi, so I think the dock will serve as the primary sync method for a lot of users. For us Mac users I'm confident the experience will be a seamless as possible.

I can't afford it, but I love iPhone. Still waiting for them to announce a small basic phone with a built-in shuffle or nano - iPhone monkeybucket®.