Re-Install Mac OS 10.3 with broken DVD-Drive?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

my DVD-Drive is broken, it won't read any discs at all, anymore. Is there anyway of re-installing my operating system? I have a second MAC, is there a way of installing the OS via network?

I wouldn't mind buying an external DVD drive (both my computers are laptops), if there was a way of installing it from there.

cheers

ben

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    jammjamm Posts: 37member
    Assuming both Macs have firewire, follow these steps:

1) plug one end of the firewire cable into both machines.

2) restart the 'broken' machine, holding down the 'T' key on the keyboard. A firewire logo should appear its screen and the hard drive should mount on the second mac.

3) put the install disc into the second mac and follow the instructions. When the installation program begins, select the hard drive of the 'broken' machine as the install destination.

4) make sure you backup any important stuff on the destination drive before doing a fresh install as it could wipe the drive.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    wr3nwr3n Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamm View Post

Assuming both Macs have firewire, follow these steps:

1) plug one end of the firewire cable into both machines.

2) restart the 'broken' machine, holding down the 'T' key on the keyboard. A firewire logo should appear its screen and the hard drive should mount on the second mac.

3) put the install disc into the second mac and follow the instructions. When the installation program begins, select the hard drive of the 'broken' machine as the install destination.

4) make sure you backup any important stuff on the destination drive before doing a fresh install as it could wipe the drive.

cheers mate,

you're saving my life.

ben