Store is down... (New Mac Pros)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I predict the OCTO MAC!!!!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    You are correct! New Mac Pros are out.

Edit: There's only one new Mac Pro configuration with the quad core 3.0 GHz processor and it's expensive. As much as I'd love to have one of these Macs, just adding an ATi Radeon X1900 XT 512 MB graphics card, a second SuperDrive, Airport+Bluetooth Wireless, and a Wirless Keyboard/Mighty Mouse brings the cost of this Mac Pro up to $4,483.00! I'd also definitely want to put more RAM into a box like this but I definitely wouldn't buy the RAM from Apple at the prices they charge.

This is just about the smallest 'speed bump' I think I've ever seen (other than the infamous G4 'speed dump'). Only one new option across the line, no new graphics card options, no lowering prices on 'older' Mac Pros, etc.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    yeah, that's a pretty lame update.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fran441 View Post

You are correct! New Mac Pros are out.

Edit: There's only one new Mac Pro configuration with the quad core 3.0 GHz processor and it's expensive. As much as I'd love to have one of these Macs, just adding an ATi Radeon X1900 XT 512 MB graphics card, a second SuperDrive, Airport+Bluetooth Wireless, and a Wirless Keyboard/Mighty Mouse brings the cost of this Mac Pro up to $4,483.00! I'd also definitely want to put more RAM into a box like this but I definitely wouldn't buy the RAM from Apple at the prices they charge.

This is just about the smallest 'speed bump' I think I've ever seen (other than the infamous G4 'speed dump'). Only one new option across the line, no new graphics card options, no lowering prices on 'older' Mac Pros, etc.

The prices on old cores didn't go down, the new sku just was a higher price. Don't expect price drops or anything until AMD's X2900 in May.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius View Post

The prices on old cores didn't go down, the new sku just was a higher price. Don't expect price drops or anything until AMD's X2900 in May.

Edit: OMG 3GHz.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    octo core macs already advertised on the apple start page: http://www.apple.com/startpage/

• Reply 6 of 11
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I wasn't talking about the current processors being any cheaper, more that the options should be cheaper by now. The only thing that Apple did, as far as I can tell, was add the quad core 3.0 GHz dual processor option. The prices on RAM, Hard Drives, Graphics cards, Wireless options, Additional optical drives, etc. appear to be the same as before.

Interesting that many people thought there would be the inclusion of Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drives in the 'next' Mac Pro and we aren't seeing either option yet.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    When you go to the Buy it Now page, Apple lists the older 2.66 version first: kind of confusing if you don't have the "Clovertone" "Woodcrst" naming convention down.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    yes, it doesn't even really qualify as an update. I'd call it an addition, since everything else is exactly the same. You would think after 9 months (or however long it's been, maybe only 8?) they'd at least change the graphics card options.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    It seems they're only available in US & Canada.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

yeah, that's a pretty lame update.

A typical routine update from Apple I would say. They love the extremes. \
  • Reply 11 of 11
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Updates will probably seem like they are slow in coming, 2006 was a major year for Intel, after being somewhat stagnant the years before. I don't think Intel can keep that pace. Their designs are very tailored to the fab process more so than in the past, they are dependent on process shrinks to get more performance rather than process tuning.