The Waiting Game: Leopard MacBook Pro's

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

I'd be really disappointed if Leopard were to ship as late as WWDC. Apple has too much hardware and software dependent upon it.

Like what? The iPhone? Which is shipping in? July.

Just think about the timescales involved here: None of the "top secret" features have been announced, and therefore have not made it into the hands of developers for wider beta testing, or to give said developers time to adjust/update their products (if necessary).

If Leopard does come out in April, be prepared for the "top secret" features to be buggy and under-supported.

Regardless of the "top secret" features, there have been precious few developer seeds of Leopard thus far. April seems too early to me.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Like what? The iPhone? Which is shipping in? July.

Just think about the timescales involved here: None of the "top secret" features have been announced, and therefore have not made it into the hands of developers for wider beta testing, or to give said developers time to adjust/update their products (if necessary).

If Leopard does come out in April, be prepared for the "top secret" features to be buggy and under-supported.

Regardless of the "top secret" features, there have been precious few developer seeds of Leopard thus far. April seems too early to me.

As long as those top secret features don't affect the core APIs, they won't affect any applications in Leopard. Besides, beta OS'es are so buggy anyway that developers generally don't bother with fixes until the last few months where it's apparent what Apple will fix themselves anyway

Finally, Apple's internal QA is likely capable of debugging them fairly well—while some developers to offer bug reports when a bug directly affects their app, Apple can find most of their bugs themselves.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    yaaa i would wait if i were you honestly...just wait for the new macbook to come out, and i would also wait for the nand technology hopefully coming by next holiday season, this will be a huge hit for the macbooks

i too have a powerbook and am just holding on to it until the right macbook comes out, dont worry ur powerbook will handle fine at college im in college too and it works fine...but when all this comes out ull be glad u waited

my friend just got a macbook pro in december and hes bummed he got it cause all the cool stuff is appearing on this laptop in the next 8 months
  • Reply 24 of 37
    jookboxjookbox Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Mid- to late March:
    • New Mac Pros, dual quad-core

• Adobe CS3

• Leopard

• Reply 25 of 37
    The waiting game keeps on going.

I'll buy after leopard, so that means June-ish, then my summer holiday will be about to start, so it makes sense to wait until september for expected updated coolness. Obviously there'll be new stuff for the holiday season, so waiting a little bit longer might not be so bad.

When we're waiting for christmas, we might as well hold out for macworld and a one-more-thing-mac, right.

rinse, repeat.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elderloc View Post

But you know I really like this MBP, sure it would be nice to have a better video card but other than that it's awesome.

What are you doing that requires a better video card?

I'm creating realtime 3D simulations in a game engine with my MBP and the card works great.

Just curious.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Am I the only one who thinks that, at least when Jobs mentioned these "top secret" features, there weren't any? Or that they were minor bug fixes anyway?

Remember the "over 200" features of Tiger? (Most over which were things like making the volume go to eleven... )

We'll probably get two or three extra things in Leopard, things probably having to do with iLife 07 or PIM stuff (application-based features, like Tiger's Safari with RSS support ). I am personally expecting an update to Aqua, a la iTunes 7 (and that's probably one of the three or so).

If you're expecting to be blown away by ultra-revolutionary, ultra-cool, ultra-top-secret features in Leopard, prepare to be disappointed. If, however, you want a decent and useful upate to Tiger (or, in my case Panther), then you'll get your money's worth.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Any ideas how big an update the next mbp is likely to be? I'll be getting a new mac, post Leopard, and I am a 'headless iMac' customer.. (ie. not enough desk for an iMac next to my Dell 24", Mac mini not big and strong enough, Mac Pro too expensive), so I might go with an MBP laptop.

I know Santa Rosa is coming but will this keep the Merom Core 2 Duo or are there any mobile processors coming likely to replace them for the next update? any form factor changes likely to fix the screen angle tilting further back?
  • Reply 29 of 37
    ddanielddaniel Posts: 12member
    Quote:

If you're expecting to be blown away by ultra-revolutionary, ultra-cool, ultra-top-secret features in Leopard, prepare to be disappointed. If, however, you want a decent and useful upate to Tiger (or, in my case Panther), then you'll get your money's worth.

Multitouch MBP's would be a pretty ultra-revolutionary, ultra-cool, ultra-top-secret feature. They would have to leave this out of the Leopard beta-testing because testers wouldn't have the hardware.

I know this is a stretch, but i'm still keeping my hopes up. It just doesn't make sense for Apple to make such a big deal about multi-touch and include it in only one product.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    chromoschromos Posts: 191member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b3ns0n View Post

PS

Singular: MacBook Pro.

Plural: MacBook Pros.

[/end lecture]

Sorry to be a grammar nazi, but such errors make my eyes bleed

Are you sure it's not 'MacBooks Pro', akin to 'passers-by' and 'attorneys general'?
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddaniel View Post

Multitouch MBP's would be a pretty ultra-revolutionary, ultra-cool, ultra-top-secret feature. They would have to leave this out of the Leopard beta-testing because testers wouldn't have the hardware.

I know this is a stretch, but i'm still keeping my hopes up. It just doesn't make sense for Apple to make such a big deal about multi-touch and include it in only one product.

The only problem is that the price would be a bitch, and it'd take up a hell of a lot of processing power.

Also, it'll be hard to make a new interface concept that is so radically better that it will make it worth it to break decades worth of user's muscle memory.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    kzelk4kzelk4 Posts: 100member
    when is penryn being released for use in laptops
  • Reply 33 of 37
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kzelk4 View Post

when is penryn being released for use in laptops

Late 2007/early 2008 is the current estimate. I'm expecting Penryn MacBook Pros to be announced at the January 2008 Macworld.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:

PS

Where to use an apostrophe: "My MacBook Pro's fantastic!", "My MacBook Pro's battery melted." or "My MacBook Pro's been my main computer for a year now."

Same applies to PCs (the plural is not PC's).

[/end lecture]

I'm more of a spelling nazi, but I think you should be careful about speaking in absolutes. I don't think you'll find any style manuals that disagree with the examples you gave, but there are some that allow for the use of apostrophes to indicate plurality in certain cases. For example, "I got all A's and B's on my report card," is valid, according to some, because leaving the apostrophe out would be confusing ("A's" => "As"). The rule is that you can use an apostrophe to denote plurality for nouns consisting of a single letter or for abbreviations that with more than one period.

edit: On second reading, you weren't speaking in absolutes at all. So, uh, nevermind.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    I think that Leopard (final BETA or full release) is gong to come out only a few weeks before WWDC. It has to be released before WWDC so the programming geeks have a week or more to play with it before the convention.

I also suspect the secret features are already available to certain manufactures (Adobe and such) along with a 2 inch thick None Disclosure Agreement that's an inch think and likely has severe fines for security breaches.

I am also starting to suspect that we may be in for a major line overhaul. Even if the basic design is the same, they could add more features and spruce it up.

Personally, I really miss how Apple' s hardware was quite cutting edge and now not so much so. The camera was a good addition and the flash memory will be cool, but we never got biometric security or anything like that. Maybe we will be able to enter passwords by drawing something on the trackpad.

I really want to see video capture on at least the pro versions...
  • Reply 36 of 37
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

PS

Where to use an apostrophe: "My MacBook Pro's fantastic!", "My MacBook Pro's battery melted." or "My MacBook Pro's been my main computer for a year now."

Same applies to PCs (the plural is not PC's).

[/end lecture]

APPLAU'S
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

I know Santa Rosa is coming but will this keep the Merom Core 2 Duo or are there any mobile processors coming likely to replace them for the next update? any form factor changes likely to fix the screen angle tilting further back?

Santa Rosa keeps the same processor, but because of the change of socket and FSB, you literally get 1/6 higher clock speeds. So a 2.0 GHz MB could be 2.4 GHz. A 2.33 GHz MBP could move up to 2.8 GHz. That assumes that they don't move to lower-multiplier chips. Realistically, I'd expect the portable line to be 2.2/2.4/2.6 GHz (as the 14x multiplier is kind of high-end). Additionally, it's possible the MBP could move to a Geforce Go 8600, if they're out.

7200rpm drives in a laptop are still too high-end for the default MBP, but it might be a BTO option in the 15-incher. HDD capacities will probably go up in the Macbooks to a standard of 80 GB.

I would not be surprised to see 2 GB of RAM standard on the low-end MBP. 1 GB will be standard in the low-end MBs, and if we're really, really lucky, the BlackBook will start at 2 GB. The Macbook Pro will support 4 GB of RAM instead of 3 GB maximum.

Note that all of the above is speculation based on my thoughts on industry trends and Apple trends, and is in no way factual. Theoretically, the above described models could ship in May/June. Historically, Apple updates the consumer notebooks before summer, so that it can do its Mac/iPod promotion. Note that I also avoid the rumored new models, whether they be 15-inch Macbooks or 12-inch MBPs or tablets or whatever's in fashion at the rumor mill today.