Rogers casts doubts on iPhone for Canada

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Rogers Wireless Inc., the only wireless service provider in Canada with a network suited to meld with Apple Inc.'s upcoming iPhone handset, is now dismissing the notion that it would sell the hotly anticipated device as "speculation."

"We haven't announced whether we will carry the iPhone," Odette Coleman,Â*manager of corporate communications for Rogers Wireless, said in an e-mail to CBC News Online. "Everything in the media has been speculations to this point."

The statement strongly contradicts an e-mail sent out by Rogers to subscribers following the unveiling of iPhone back in January. In that communication, the carrier reportedly said that it was working with Apple to launch the device in Canada "as soon as possible."

Since iPhone operates on the GSM wireless technology standard, Rogers would be the only carrier in Canada suited to offer the device to its customers, as all other providers in the country use the CDMA standard.

"The only fact is that we are the only GSM carrier in Canada," added Coleman. "That's the only fact."

Ronald Gruia, an analyst with market research firm Frost & Sullivan in Toronto, said Rogers' apparent about-face may not just represent an attempt by the carrier to protect its roll-out plans. He said costs and considerations for adding a new phone to its lineup, including business and technical factors,Â*may have offered compelling reasons for it not to carry the device.

For Rogers, major considerations likely includeÂ*the fact that it's upgrading to a next-generation or 3G networkÂ*and the possibility that itsÂ*current contractsÂ*with cellphone manufacturers still have not yet run their course, Gruia speculated.

"Rogers may waitÂ*to see how well it does in the U.S.," he said. "If this thing really takes off and has tremendous uptake in the U.S., maybe we'll see it here in time for Christmas."

At the same time, however, the analyst noted that the latter is an unlikely situation given the device's high retail pricing of $499 and $599. Most sales forecasts have Apple selling only about 10 million units through 2008, which would represent about one per cent of the projected global market.

Those kinds of figures don't tell a wireless carrier that they must offer any device, Gruia told CBC, adding that doesn't even factor in the costs associated with training a sales force, marketing and servicing the handsets.

There's also the possibility, the analyst added, that Rogers may have a ways to go before existing contracts for large-volume sales ofÂ*popular phones such as Motorola's RAZR and Sony-Ericsson's W810 are up, in which case it may note be inclined to offer the competing iPhone device.

In the meantime, some loyal Apple enthusiast have reportedly signed on with U.S. carriers so that come June, they can still get an iPhone without worrying about a specific Canadian provider.

"That will continue," said Gruia

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Can you hear me now ... eh?
  • Reply 2 of 57
    I'm amazed at the whackjob stories they'll construct around two simple statements. The simple and historical explanation is that Rogers got excited, said something they shouldn't have, and are now being non-commital. The corporate drama behind the scenes is anyone's guess and likely largely irrelevant.
  • Reply 3 of 57
    They have phones in Canada?
  • Reply 4 of 57
    Of course, ninny! You didn't think they were invented in the USA did you????

• Reply 5 of 57
    thebeatthebeat Posts: 113member
    Wow, Rogers sucks. I am actually on a Rogers plan and from Canada. I hate ROGERS, they are gay. We were getting hyped up about the iPhone here too.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    Phone companies in the US and Canada suck.

Apple should sell the iPhone unlocked and make phone companies compete for customer connections.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    trevctrevc Posts: 77member

Still patiently waiting for iTunes TV shows and movies up here in Canada so I guess I can wait another couple years for the iPhone.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    "Everything in the media has been speculations to this point."

That is BULLSHIT - they fucking said they were going to carry the fucking phone.
  • Reply 9 of 57
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Real Batman View Post

Of course, ninny! You didn't think they were invented in the USA did you????

Yes. Granted Bell wasn't alone. Elisha Gray was right there.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Speculation my ass. You knew you were gonna get it, then you probably f-ed it up.

The only reason this is happening is probably because rogers doesn't want to amend their insane rules and data plans to offer users a fair experience, which would be necessary to do given the cost of the iphone.

If the iphone where released in canada at it's current price with rogers current pricing structure only the extreme diehards would get it and it wouldn't be profitable. I consider myself a diehard and I still wouldn't get it.

So rogers probably got all pissy, which in turn made apple mad. The only reason its going so smooth in the US is because AT&T actually wants to work with apple to create a customer experience, whereas rogers just want to charge up the ass and then make a billion more stipulations to bleed people dry.

Current state of Rogers + current price of iPhone = an extremely violent raping.

It's like watching a snuff film and knowing it's real, you just wanna throw up.

Go ***k yourself rogers.
  • Reply 11 of 57
    You Canadians are so cute when you're mad.
  • Reply 12 of 57
    naftalimnaftalim Posts: 25member
    Actually, when the iPhone was first announced I was sure that Rogers would not offer it as the iPhone has WiFi and Rogers refuses to offer phones like this so they can continue to gouge us with exorbitant data rates. I have a feeling that they tried to push Apple to cripple this function, and Apple refused. Hence the about-face.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Rogers was obviously weaseling its way out of a definite answer here. They didn't say they wouldn't have the iPhone (not even hinting at a delay), but they didn't commit to it either.

In short: they don't want to get people's hopes up too far in advance.

But yes, Rogers desperately needs to rethink its data plans. They want to offer HSDPA but their phone plans are completely backwards: it only costs you $5-10 more to chew up massive bandwidth on video calls, but yet you can pay upwards of $100 a month for 250MB of general data.

It's $20 US for unlimited data on AT&T, Rogers! Do try to keep up.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    restalotrestalot Posts: 77member
    Sigh...
  • Reply 15 of 57
    thebeatthebeat Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

You Canadians are so cute when you're mad.

Don't even start you little shit.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    What the hell? Canadians are registering at AppleInsider expressly to defend the homeland?

This could get ugly. AI was practically founded on random Canada bashing.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Speculation my ass. You knew you were gonna get it, then you probably f-ed it up.

The only reason this is happening is probably because rogers doesn't want to amend their insane rules and data plans to offer users a fair experience, which would be necessary to do given the cost of the iphone.

If the iphone where released in canada at it's current price with rogers current pricing structure only the extreme diehards would get it and it wouldn't be profitable. I consider myself a diehard and I still wouldn't get it.

So rogers probably got all pissy, which in turn made apple mad. The only reason its going so smooth in the US is because AT&T actually wants to work with apple to create a customer experience, whereas rogers just want to charge up the ass and then make a billion more stipulations to bleed people dry.

Current state of Rogers + current price of iPhone = an extremely violent raping.

It's like watching a snuff film and knowing it's real, you just wanna throw up.

Go ***k yourself rogers.

Hmm.. Lotsa truth in there.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    blascockblascock Posts: 153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Phone companies in the US and Canada suck.

Apple should sell the iPhone unlocked and make phone companies compete for customer connections.

agreed
  • Reply 19 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

What the hell? Canadians are registering at AppleInsider expressly to defend the homeland?

And I thought Pamela Anderson was a feisty Canadian...
  • Reply 20 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Why bash Canada? Canada, just like America, was founded after years of fighting other Europeans and destroying native inhabitance by the British. As was New Zealand and Australia. We are all basically the same culture and people with a wonderful mix of immigrants. Just get along OK