Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 1301 of 4650
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Yeah, been real busy at work trying to impress my boss in order to get a $$$ raise--and I did it, woohoo! I'm an SMS Administrator (yeah my occupation dictates I use Microsoft management software, hehehe) at work managing around 20,000 clients around the world, so needless to say, 2007 has begun with both barrels blazing.

Also, I'm turning the big 30 tomorrow, and in so doing got a new iMac (20in Core 2 Duo) earlier this week so I've been obsessed with my new toy.

Now if I can only talk my work into getting me an iPhone instead of my Blackberry, hmmmm? (Hey, we're on the Cingular network, so anything is possible! I hope at least).

Hope all is well bro. And make sure you remember how good Open Season looks on Blu-ray!

SMS Jockey huh? It's nice to upload patches on other shite without leaving your desk huh?

Happy Birthday man!! I should have known you were an Aries or a Taurus ..we're some bullish people man. Nice grab on the iMac...I recently go hooked on Macupdate and now I'm downloading every freaking app known to mankind....well only the good stuff.

I'm thinking about seeing if my boss will pay for a personal Cingular account so that I can grab an iPhone. I need to have good access when i'm onsite and I don't want to carry a laptop everywhere. Good luck on convincing the Boss...you already got a raise so you may as well dig for more :P
  • Reply 1302 of 4650
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

I've got 10Mbps and it still takes almost 3 hours to download 4.5GB. 15GB at 15Mbps is probably six hours, and if it became widespread, would strain most of the networks. Especially cable networks where bandwidth is shared. You'd have to be a fool to pay $180/mo for 30Mbps. After about four months of that, you could have bought an HD standalone player. FiOS isn't as widespread as you think. They've been installing it around my city for close to two years and most neighborhoods still can't get it. So much for "real deployment." As for VOD, the available films are very limited. You're better off renting HD from Netflix.

If you actually had 10Mbps it wouldn't take 3 hours eh? aTV seems to be capped at 5Mbps stream...so 15Mbps should actually be able to support a 720p/24 5Mpbs stream...

There are two solutions to bandwidth issues for these kinds of services: network caching (aka Akamai) and multicasting (NeoKast). Multicast should work reasonably well for live sporting events inside a IPTV network (like AT&T) or broadband provider (like Verizon).

And yes, FIOS is a real deployment of FTTP. 6M installs in 16 states and plans to add 3M per year through 2010. In Verizon's buildout they have 622Mbps (down) in the switching office today and with G-PON they should be able to get to 2.4Gbps (down) and 1.2Gbps (up). They just announced $6B in equipment purchases with Alcatel over three years to get G-PON into their network.

SBC is doing FTTN with Project Lightspeed and FTTP in greenfield builds. AT&T claims they will add more FTTN and get U-verse out to 19M homes by 2008.

So the RBOCs have finally got off their duffs and are investing in major FTTN/FTTP builds and fiber based broadband, at least in major urban markets, will be reality sooner rather than later.

In three years you won't be paying $180 for 30Mbps...closer to $50 and for $180 you would likely get 100Mbps.

And that's ignoring cable and DOCSIS 3.0 which will give you more bandwidth.

Vinea
  • Reply 1303 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

SMS Jockey huh? It's nice to upload patches on other shite without leaving your desk huh?

Absolutely...nothing quite like having the equivalent of a network based atomic bomb at your fingertips....
  • Reply 1304 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

If you actually had 10Mbps it wouldn't take 3 hours eh? aTV seems to be capped at 5Mbps stream...so 15Mbps should actually be able to support a 720p/24 5Mpbs stream...

How do you figure? 10Mbps is about 4.5GB per hour. And you're assuming the servers can fill the pipes. Even after midnight, I see average speeds varying between 6-8Mbps. Only with certain servers or multiple servers do I ever see the full 10Mbps. And this is cable -- shared bandwidth. If my neighbors also suck up a lot of it, I'm screwed.

Quote:

And yes, FIOS is a real deployment of FTTP. 6M installs in 16 states and plans to add 3M per year through 2010.

I'll believe it when I see it. Like I wrote, Verizon has been promoting FiOs for nearly two years around here with newspaper pullouts and billboards yet virtually nobody I know in various parts of the city can get it, including a couple of very affluent neighborhoods. You might swallow Verizon's press releases, but I deal with reality. Also, if you bother to read their fine print, Verizon says, "Connection speeds are between your location and the Verizon central office serving your location. Actual download and upload speeds will vary based on numerous factors, such as the condition of wiring at your location, computer configuration, Internet and network congestion, and the speed of website servers you access, among other factors. Speed and uninterrupted use of the service are not guaranteed." In other words, you'll take whatever they give you whether it's 15, 10 or 6Mbps and if you don't like it, too bad. Sorry, I've seen too many offices in my building get unusable DSL service that they quickly cancelled, so I don't have any faith in Verizon.

Quote:

In three years you won't be paying $180 for 30Mbps...closer to $50 and for $180 you would likely get 100Mbps.

And that's ignoring cable and DOCSIS 3.0 which will give you more bandwidth.

Again, I'll believe it when I see it. Roadrunner left us at 5Mbps for nearly 10 years before upgrading only last year. DSL isn't any faster this year than it was five years ago, and virtually the same price. I doubt we'll see 100Mbps in this country anytime in the foreseeable future. The ISPs all scream that they can't afford faster networks, hence their stance against Net Neutrality. Thanks to the lack of competition due to telco and cable monopolies, there's no incentive for them to build superfast last-mile networks. 99.999% of people will be satisfied what they offer today and won't demand any faster. The remainder aren't enough to give them a profit.
  • Reply 1305 of 4650
    Quote:

How do you figure? 10Mbps is about 4.5GB per hour.

Yes, so if it takes you 3 hours...you don't really have 10Mbps do you?

Quote:

And you're assuming the servers can fill the pipes. Even after midnight, I see average speeds varying between 6-8Mbps. Only with certain servers or multiple servers do I ever see the full 10Mbps. And this is cable -- shared bandwidth. If my neighbors also suck up a lot of it, I'm screwed.

That's cable with current limitations of DOCSIS 2.0 or 1.1. And yes, not all servers can feed you 10Mbps.

Quote:

I'll believe it when I see it. Like I wrote, Verizon has been promoting FiOs for nearly two years around here with newspaper pullouts and billboards yet virtually nobody I know in various parts of the city can get it, including a couple of very affluent neighborhoods. You might swallow Verizon's press releases, but I deal with reality.

The reality is that they have 6M FIOS users and I'm one of them. 6M is a real buildout even if your city is currently underserved.

Quote:

Also, if you bother to read their fine print, Verizon says, "Connection speeds are between your location and the Verizon central office serving your location. Actual download and upload speeds will vary based on numerous factors, such as the condition of wiring at your location, computer configuration, Internet and network congestion, and the speed of website servers you access, among other factors. Speed and uninterrupted use of the service are not guaranteed." In other words, you'll take whatever they give you whether it's 15, 10 or 6Mbps and if you don't like it, too bad. Sorry, I've seen too many offices in my building get unusable DSL service that they quickly cancelled, so I don't have any faith in Verizon.

Yes, because DSL sucked a FTTP rollout must suck as well.

While there are no CIR or SLAs for FIOS but it is primarily a home service not a business one but near as I can tell my FIOS has had better uptime than my cable modem and more consistent throughput.

Quote:

I doubt we'll see 100Mbps in this country anytime in the foreseeable future. The ISPs all scream that they can't afford faster networks, hence their stance against Net Neutrality. Thanks to the lack of competition due to telco and cable monopolies, there's no incentive for them to build superfast last-mile networks. 99.999% of people will be satisfied what they offer today and won't demand any faster. The remainder aren't enough to give them a profit.

The RBOCs are investing billions into the last mile. Believe it or not its still true unless you think they're lying to investors and the SEC...and given that 76% of internet users are now broadband users I'd say that cable and rbocs will be fighting to take share from each other by offering more bandwidth at lower prices since growth will have leveled sonewhat.

Couple that with VOIP, IPTV and traditional uses for the net I don't think that folks will turn down more bandwidth and all the players are looking at triple play services.

Once the G-PON equipment is fielded we'll see 100Mbps at the upper end of the price spectrum.

The RBOCs understand that their phone revenues are drying up. Completing against cable my not be all that great but they can't afford not to with the cable companies offering voice and data services in addition to TV. Verizon, SBC and the others have made major investments in competing with FTTP and FTTN rollouts. CLECs and muni FTTH build outs grew 80% in 2005/2006.

I've watched the truck rolls...its real.

Vinea
  • Reply 1306 of 4650
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Again, I'll believe it when I see it. Roadrunner left us at 5Mbps for nearly 10 years before upgrading only last year.

Where are you living? In Europe there are providers offering 20 Mbps lines for 40 euros per month. Today.
  • Reply 1307 of 4650
    for those of you fond of quoting next gen wars

try this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx3zVUdBxB0

it somewhat casts doubt on any validity about how it calculates the figures.. its info thats new to ME, so sorry if you already knew
  • Reply 1308 of 4650
    Quote:

Also, I'm turning the big 30 tomorrow, and in so doing got a new iMac (20in Core 2 Duo) earlier this week so I've been obsessed with my new toy.

Happy Birthday!

great present
  • Reply 1309 of 4650
    Quote:

Talk about blowing your wad early.

what? like HD-DVD fanboys crowing about early sales last year?

yeah... i guess
  • Reply 1310 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superlatic_uk View Post

....although blu ray is arguably technically superior and has a greater backing, play.com have ..... PS3 is £425

play in the UK currently selling PS3 for £399 with free BD movie and HDMI cable

....gee a price dropp already
  • Reply 1311 of 4650
    Quote:

Is there anyone more stubborn than a Mac user in computing (well maybe a linux user haha).

all this and your an Aries too?

you know, its starting to make sense... the stubborness on this thread i mean... im a Taurus... im NEVER wrong funny, id forgotten i was NEVER wrong for a while

sorry for the multiple posts, been busy so havent checked in that often... you know how its is... so much FUD, so little time
  • Reply 1312 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Obviously, you do not care about BD-J and IME, if you did own a player or expecting to purchase BD movies, you would.

How about little more historical data starting from March 2006 to Dec. 2006? Everyone is aware of why and what was going on from Jan to March 2007.

We're looking at movie disc being sold right?... I know that Sony was using game discs and also free bd movie in the PS3 to represent as movie disc being sold.

you see this is what i dont understand... YOU offer figures... and we are all ment to believe them.. someone else offers figures that dont suit your opinion, and you imply that they arnt good enough for the disscussion.

what ratio does BD have to outsell HD-DUD at before you admit that it IS outselling?

pick one or both... player sales or disc sales? come on... just so we have something to aim for, what ratio does one have to outsell the other ? oh yeah.. and for how long?

i mean HISTORICALLY VHS outsells EVERYTHING... so you should stick with that...mmm? but then i bet your still on Vinyl too cos you know... historically n all
  • Reply 1313 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

Happy Birthday!

great present

Thanks! It was even better since I didn't have to pay for it.
  • Reply 1314 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Do you really believe 650K units of $840 gaming console were sold in Europe during the first week of launch?

Well, clearly they didn't break records all over the place moving a baker's dozen.
  • Reply 1315 of 4650
    Quote:

Thanks! It was even better since I didn't have to pay for it.

Happy birthday, marzetta!
  • Reply 1316 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Yes, so if it takes you 3 hours...you don't really have 10Mbps do you?

That's cable with current limitations of DOCSIS 2.0 or 1.1. And yes, not all servers can feed you 10Mbps.

Isn't that exactly what I wrote, that the servers can't keep up? Geez, it's like talking to a wall. And seeing as how Time Warner took this long to give us 10Mbps, I seriously doubt they're going to suddenly triple that within three years.

Quote:

The reality is that they have 6M FIOS users and I'm one of them. 6M is a real buildout even if your city is currently underserved.

6 million is nothing. Check the availability in NYC, where that's not even the population of the city.

Quote:

Yes, because DSL sucked a FTTP rollout must suck as well.

You're so tied up in your own argument that you're missing the point. How many years have we been promised all sorts of upcoming high-performance variations of DSL? About a decade. Yet we're still stuck with plain vanilla 3Mbps ADSL they offered ten years ago. It's not about rollout. It's about what we haven't gotten since. The point is just because there'll be fiber, don't expect them to increase the bandwidth anytime soon.

Quote:

Couple that with VOIP, IPTV and traditional uses for the net I don't think that folks will turn down more bandwidth and all the players are looking at triple play services.

Why do you need all that much for VoIP? I use Skype exclusively and my bandwidth meters don't spike during calls. They say roughly 100kBps, hardly very demanding even for 5Mbps. And you're the one saying 10Mbps should be fine for IPTV, so why would they need to offer 30 or 100Mbps?

Quote:

I've watched the truck rolls...its real.

And I work from reality. Look at Brooklyn. Most heavily populated borough in New York City, yet they don't have FiOS yet. It's very scarce in the rest of the city, too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Where are you living? In Europe there are providers offering 20 Mbps lines for 40 euros per month. Today.

And in Japan and South Korea, there are providers offering 100Mbps for the equivalent of 20 euros per month. Are you feeling a little less superior yet? What's your point? The US is not Europe and Europe is not Asia. We have local monopolies for phone and cable service, so there's very limited competition.
  • Reply 1317 of 4650
    Quote:

Isn't that exactly what I wrote, that the servers can't keep up? Geez, it's like talking to a wall. And seeing as how Time Warner took this long to give us 10Mbps, I seriously doubt they're going to suddenly triple that within three years.

Time Warner isn't the only provider in the US. Neither is cable the only real option for broadband anymore. For a decade the RBOCs dragged their feet for various reasons. They've stopped dragging their feet.

As I said, it really doesn't matter what you believe. You only need to look at their financial statements to see the level of investment into buildouts. Its all public.

Quote:

6 million is nothing. Check the availability in NYC, where that's not even the population of the city.

6M is a significant number for just one competitor rolliing out fiber to the premises over the last 3-4 years. NYC is a later build out than Northern Virginia and the DC area and you should see more coverage through the next couple years. Crest Lofts on Wall Street is getting up to 50Mbps service and the NYC build out will be at the 50MBps max vs the 30MBps max in the earlier locations.

Quote:

You're so tied up in your own argument that you're missing the point. How many years have we been promised all sorts of upcoming high-performance variations of DSL? About a decade. Yet we're still stuck with plain vanilla 3Mbps ADSL they offered ten years ago.

And you're so stuck on the 90s and how the RBOCs essentially sat on thier broadband technology until they crushed the CLECs and got more favorable regulation before they invested billions into their networks. The RBOCs, for all their other faults, do have a lot of money and when they decide to deploy they can in a big way. 2000 trucks in Northern Virginia laying fiber and connecting them to homes. For a year they blanketed the area laying fiber.

Do you think Warner would have given you 10Mbps if they weren't watching Comcast, Cox and Adelphia lose share to FiOS? The fact that your 10Mbps is "fake" is because of the underlying limitations of DOCSIS 1.1 and 2.0. Limitations NOT present in FTTP.

Its not the late 90s anymore.

Quote:

It's not about rollout. It's about what we haven't gotten since. The point is just because there'll be fiber, don't expect them to increase the bandwidth anytime soon.

Well given that NYC has a 20Mbps bump over N. VA I'd say you were wrong. It depends on what they have at the SOs and COs. They're buying $2B of Alcatel gear for upgrades and new deployments.

Quote:

Why do you need all that much for VoIP? I use Skype exclusively and my bandwidth meters don't spike during calls. They say roughly 100kBps, hardly very demanding even for 5Mbps. And you're the one saying 10Mbps should be fine for IPTV, so why would they need to offer 30 or 100Mbps?

Because you want the headroom for when someone is surfing or pulling down video, etc. Current networks don't have the QOS pieces in place to have no drop VOIP and streaming video except with extra headroom.

And you want more because while 1 stream might be okay at 10Mbps I'd think most familys would want a couple during their own prime time.

They're already offering 30 Mbps and now 50Mbps so there's a market and as the high end gets higher the low end well also get faster.

Quote:

And I work from reality. Look at Brooklyn. Most heavily populated borough in New York City, yet they don't have FiOS yet. It's very scarce in the rest of the city, too.

So because YOU don't see it then Verizon didn't spend billions in their N.VA, Wash DC, Maryland and Penn build out? That AT&T, SBC and others aren't doing their own fiber deployments?

Your reality appears very limited. It may surprise you but NYC doesn't get everything first.

Quote:

And in Japan and South Korea, there are providers offering 100Mbps for the equivalent of 20 euros per month. Are you feeling a little less superior yet? What's your point? The US is not Europe and Europe is not Asia. We have local monopolies for phone and cable service, so there's very limited competition.

Competition is heating up. No more free ride for the cable companies and they're behind the 8 ball because DOCSIS 3.0 isn't as good as FTTP. Now Verizon is spending a mint doing FTTP over FTTN but they have an infrastructure good for the long haul.

Once its in place, IPTV and digital content delivery has the foundation to build on.

Vinea
  • Reply 1318 of 4650
    IMO, ultra high speed downloads aren't going to happen for most of us. I have 768k DSL, which in real world terms means it's usually in the mid 600s, through Verizon. Recently I tried to go to 3.0 but no dice, the wiring from the street couldn't handle it. I could go cable but I hate Comcast.

There's another factor at work here. It doesn't make any difference to me whether it would take one hour, three or five to download a movie, when I want to watch a movie I want to watch it now, which means physical media. So to me, the whole idea of downloading movies is just a pie-in-the-sky dream. But then again, I don't see what people see in the AppleTV thingie. Go figure.
  • Reply 1319 of 4650
    Quote:

play in the UK currently selling PS3 for £399 with free BD movie and HDMI cable

....gee a price dropp already

you beat me to it
  • Reply 1320 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

you see this is what i dont understand... YOU offer figures... and we are all ment to believe them.. someone else offers figures that dont suit your opinion, and you imply that they arnt good enough for the disscussion.

what ratio does BD have to outsell HD-DUD at before you admit that it IS outselling?

pick one or both... player sales or disc sales? come on... just so we have something to aim for, what ratio does one have to outsell the other ? oh yeah.. and for how long?

i mean HISTORICALLY VHS outsells EVERYTHING... so you should stick with that...mmm? but then i bet your still on Vinyl too cos you know... historically n all

I'm sure there are many other things you don't understand, including myself, but the format war will not be over becasue of three months of stronger sales of one side out of over a year of track record. Not to mention that stronger sales number of HiDef format is still insignificant when you compared to SD market. Also, PS3 being only out since Nov.2006, the trending still has to stabolized.

There are many other things beyond internet figures that will determine the winner and the format war at it's infancy will not be ending soon. It will probably get even more complicated once the internet download service becomes more popular..... Since good 480p source upconverted with good video processor would look near HD quality, and this will soon be added as another competitive format. They may call it an enhanced DVD format(e-DVD) which can be either downloaded or can be burned as MPEG4 on regular DVD-R and will work with HiDef format players?

Anyway, as of right now, every format is a potential winner and a loser....... So, the current BD or HD sales figures don't mean jack other than the periodical progress indicator of long long long format war to come. Therefore, even 10:1 sales ratio at the moment means nothing.... when you compare 10 units to 1 units...when the whole market consist of gazillion......