Apple's Mac OS X may gain multi-sized icon interface

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    This was fully supported in Jaguar but disabled in Panther.

It was an extremely useful feature and I seriously hope they bring it back!
  • Reply 22 of 86
    Some may think this idea odd, or a no brainer, but I have wished for it several times so that I could make applications and their support files stored in the same drawer more distinct than having to manually trudge about for the app in a minefield of various not uniform other icons... Hopefully it will have a "supersize apps only" option..
  • Reply 23 of 86
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    In other news, the lint tray in my dryer was full and I cleaned it out. Oh, and I found a quarter on the sidewalk this morning.
  • Reply 24 of 86
    How many versions of OS X will it take before they naild this?

The Finder still has problems remembering window states, views, ... and we're at 10.4.9

Here's to hoping for a seriously updated Finder in Leopard
  • Reply 25 of 86
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Sometimes Steve Jobs hits a homerun and is a brilliant man, other times he's just an arrogant stubborn child.

I didn't realize Steve Jobs was doing software development in addition to being CEO, on the BOD at Disney, and giving numerous presentations and interviews. Man, he must be a busy guy...
  • Reply 26 of 86
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revs View Post

this isnt new. you could do this in 10.0 (or 10.1 or so)

Currently there is no way to have different size icons in the same folder. That's what this patent is revealing.

By the way, I love the Mac OS 8/9 window widgets
  • Reply 27 of 86
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaker280 View Post

This is not a new idea. We had this back in the old Commodore Amiga days! Ah, memories...

I can't recall that Workbench could resize the icons according to some rule, like file size. This seems to be the second part of the patent. And.. I think you could resize individual icons in OSX even now. I think I've seen some hack on OSXHints that did this.. The setting didn't stick for very long though.
  • Reply 28 of 86
    What if you could set a preference for the icons to be sized proportionally to the number of times application X was launched or folder Y was opened?
  • Reply 29 of 86
    cmatechcmatech Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

Three words: PLEASE UPDATE FINDER

what is wrong with the finder? I use it, it works for me. What does it need to do that it doesn't now?
  • Reply 30 of 86
    This looks more like Mac OS X Server 1.0 with its larger icons and icons in toolbar Finder windows.
  • Reply 31 of 86
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icerabbit View Post

How many versions of OS X will it take before they naild this?

The Finder still has problems remembering window states, views, ... and we're at 10.4.9

Here's to hoping for a seriously updated Finder in Leopard

Well, being that the one of the biggest complaints throughout the history of OS X was the inconsistencies and general unfriendliness/uselessness of the Finder (and I'm already ignoring all commentary about how its no longer a 'spatial' finder, or the talk that the OS 9 finder was the greatest of all time, none of which I particularly believe), and all Apple has done over the years is change superfluous UI elements (look, no more tool bar icons, they're now on the side!), I don't hold out too much hope. Unless this is going to be one of OS X's "secret features" we've heard so much about.

My prediction is that, of all the things apple does, the changes to the finder will all be in the areas that work well now and screwing them up, not touching the stuff that was already screwed up (we can send robots to mars but we can't set column widths to cover all windows in list mode? Or, even easier, have the stupid computer remember that you actually did check "Display all file sizes"?), and basically be told by the faithful that its even better then before.
  • Reply 32 of 86
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zenwaves View Post

What if you could set a preference for the icons to be sized proportionally to the number of times application X was launched or folder Y was opened?

That's *exactly* what I was thinking. It would be like a tag cloud The most important items that you access the most could be given dominance over the others. It wouldn't be as dynamic as a tag cloud since it's just one user using it, and you might also have an issue with a new *very important* file being left to the bottom because it's new and hasn't been clicked on a lot. Unless the sizes would change depending on their most recent activity. Or if a change is detected in activity it would automatically adjust. It could become a complicated algorithm, but if it worked reliably I can see how it would be useful.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

we can't set column widths to cover all windows in list mode?

huh? I'm trying to make sense of what that means. Can you elaborate please?
  • Reply 34 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

That's *exactly* what I was thinking. It would be like a tag cloud The most important items that you access the most could be given dominance over the others. It wouldn't be as dynamic as a tag cloud since it's just one user using it, and you might also have an issue with a new *very important* file being left to the bottom because it's new and hasn't been clicked on a lot. Unless the sizes would change depending on their most recent activity. Or if a change is detected in activity it would automatically adjust. It could become a complicated algorithm, but if it worked reliably I can see how it would be useful.

Or the scrolling menus in Windows XP/2000. Just kidding, but that did come to mind.
  • Reply 35 of 86
    Quote:

huh? I'm trying to make sense of what that means. Can you elaborate please?

If Louzer means what I think he means, if you alter the width of one column while in list mode, it doesn't keep that setting for future use or auto-adjust the other columns automatically.

It's really a pain in the ass. I'm going to some very negative feelings about Apple if the Finder isn't updated by the time Leopard ships.
  • Reply 36 of 86
    I for one don't want Finder to be like Path Finder. It could use some enhancements here and there, but for goodness sake. Path Finder is an ugly, horrible, bloated mess. Not attractive at all and provides way too much "features" for my liking. I don't care what Merlin Mann and Leo Laporte say.

Some things I'd like to see in Finder

Better use of meta data, similar to how iTunes will provide different fields for movies than it does for music or for podcsts. Do the same in finder, and let people set custom tags.

Have "browse" functionality similar to iTunes.

That's all I can think of really.

EDIT: Fixed the application I was talking about. I meant Path Finder, not Quicksilver.
  • Reply 37 of 86
    Quote:

That's all I can think of really.

That is it?
    • I'd like to be able to set Finder windows up once and have them remain where I put them the next time.

• I'd like for my entire system not to freeze when it can't find a previously used network share.

• I'd like the ability to remove old network shares without having to use the Terminal.

• I'd like to see the total size of selected items at the bottom of the Finder windows instead of the number of items selected and the available space left on the disk.

• I'd like to have a Cut option like in windows, instead of having to drag and drop to achieve this functionality.

• I'd like not to have to "yo-yo the mouse at the top or bottom of the Finder window to get it to scroll far enough for me to move a file/folder.

• I'd like Finder not use .DS_Store files, which may not be possible; but at the very least, I'd like Finder not to use them on non-HFS+ partitions.

• I'd like Finder to be able to read Windows shortcuts. After all, all it needs to do is parse the fie for the location.

• Reply 38 of 86
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    I agree that there is a problem with Finder keeping certain prefs. Otherwise, Finder is excellent in my opinion. There are so many different ways you can use it. I always find new ways other people use it completely different from my own. Personally, I almost always use column views unless I really need to see info about a list of items and my Finder always keeps things in columns unless I double-click the item. Generally, I think Apple is good about not changing things too much when they add new features so they can go unoticed if you don't use them.

EDIT: I also agree with solipsism
  • Reply 39 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If Louzer means what I think he means, if you alter the width of one column while in list mode, it doesn't keep that setting for future use or auto-adjust the other columns automatically.

Yeah, that's a pretty annoying problem. You figure with all of the .DS_Store files Finder poops out everywhere, it'd be able to keep that setting.

And I love column view for navigating quickly through filesystems, but I've had the auto-preview cause Finder to beachball on a number of occasions. Multi-threading for Finder would be nice.

Also of annoyance: if you use Apple-K to connect to a network share, sometimes the little window which shows "Connecting to ..." doesn't close when you finally connect to the network share. And you can't close the window at all. The only way to get rid of it is to relaunch Finder.

And as mentioned above, Finder is pretty brain-dead when it comes to network shares which disappear.
  • Reply 40 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

[*] I'd like Finder not use .DS_Store files, which may not be possible; but at the very least, I'd like Finder not to use them on non-HFS+ partitions.

I seem to remember a tip on MacOSXHints about stopping this. Let me check...

Yup:

Here's the first tip for stopping .DS_Store creation on network volumes

And here's the second tip for stopping creation of resource fork files and stopping poop files from being created on USB drives