Stuffit/Compression Programs

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello,

Just a quick question, I don't have stuffit for my macbook. I need a compression program that is free of charge. I don't want trail version! An evaluation version is fine, but I would like to know if there is a free one. Once again, a compression program for mac OSX10.4 and above.

Let me know thanks.

Mac-Dre

P.S. I don't want stuffit Expander. It doesn't compress!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-Dre View Post

... I don't have stuffit for my macbook. I need a compression program that is free of charge. I don't want trail version! An evaluation version is fine, but I would like to know if there is a free one. Once again, a compression program for mac OSX10.4 and above.

P.S. I don't want stuffit Expander. It doesn't compress!

MacOS X's built-in archiving function uses Zip compression. You don't need additional software to compress files. If you are like most users, however, you will have to deal with files that you did not create. It may be possible to get along without Stuffit Expander, but only if you refuse to ever open .sit or .sitx archives. CleanArchiver 2.3.1 is an alternative frontend to the Stuffit Engine. The Unarchiver 1.6 supports Zip, Tar-gzip, tar-bzip2, rar, 7-zip, LHa, and StuffIt among its archive types. However, nothing on the Mac supports more archive formats than Stuffit.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I recommend the built in compression for most things. All you do is right-click a file or folder and choose create archive.

If you are backing stuff up, using a compressed disk image is quite good because you can just mount it to see the contents and copy what you need.