Censoring pics in iPhoto?

jbljbl
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is there some way to set up iPhoto so that a certain set of pictures will not show up? For instance, we recently had a baby, and I took a lot of pictures of my wife in labor and then breastfeeding which she doesn't want other people to see. I want to be able to show my parents pictures of the baby without these pictures accidentally appearing as I scroll through them. I can just show people particular albums but that isn't a great solution because I find I am switching to the main library a lot (for example, when my parents want to upload their pictures onto my computer). Is there a better way?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    You could collapse all fill rolls (Cammand click triangle).
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Ok, I have an idea.

Basically, what'll you want to do is to create a smart album that contains all of the photos you might want to show to people minus the ones that you want to keep private.

You do this by first assigning keywords to the photos you want kept private. Use any keyword you want like "private" or something.

Secondly, you create your master smart album using the "keyword does not contain" condition. You will then type in your keyword that you used for your private photos.

Third, you will create new smart albums that contain additional conditions based on whatever you want. These additional smart albums can be for organization purposes or just to show others. But the important condition that you must make sure you include in every smart album is the "Album is *insert name of master smart album*. This will tell your new smart albums to only include the photos from this album in its search.

I hope this is sorta what you were trying to do. I use a similar method in iTunes to create a smart playlist that contains only my music files and not any of my other audio files such as audio books. I then use this master smart playlist as the list of files my other smart playlists access.

Mike
  • Reply 3 of 20
    If the private pictures are solely for you and your wife to see and nobody else, why not export that album from iPhoto (to CD for future reference) and remove the 'sensitive' pictures from iPhoto entirely?

You'll still have them to show the kids when they're old enough, but in the meantime you can use iPhoto without fear because you've removed the images from the main library.

Seems like the simplest solution.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    These are all hacks for a feature that I wish to have in iPhoto (and have submitted to Apple).

I want the ability to mark photos as "private"...and when these are shown in iPhoto (no matter where), they are hidden/covered in some way until I say "Show private photos" and (possibly) enter a password or something.

Seems like a very simple feature for them to do.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Truly private stuff shouldn't be loaded. That's what shoeboxes are for. \

You could put those images in an encrypted disk image which would remain invisible on your computer until mounted with the proper password.

Not sure if you could alias the hidden folder into iPhoto or if it would choke over a symbolic link that isn't mounted.

If you don't want them seen by others, they shouldn't be anywhere near iPhoto.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Truly private stuff shouldn't be loaded. That's what shoeboxes are for. \

You could put those images in an encrypted disk image which would remain invisible on your computer until mounted with the proper password.

Not sure if you could alias the hidden folder into iPhoto or if it would choke over a symbolic link that isn't mounted.

If you don't want them seen by others, they shouldn't be anywhere near iPhoto.

Hmmm. This is one argument. On the other hand...I don't want shoe boxes any longer. I am tickled that more and more of my stuff is digital and well-organized (and backed up of course).

Still, you might be right. Yet again...this would be a simple feature that ought to be in there. Much like have "private" vCards in Address Book so that when sharing (when that happens) you aren't sharing everything.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

Is there some way to set up iPhoto so that a certain set of pictures will not show up? For instance, we recently had a baby, and I took a lot of pictures of my wife in labor and then breastfeeding which she doesn't want other people to see. I want to be able to show my parents pictures of the baby without these pictures accidentally appearing as I scroll through them. I can just show people particular albums but that isn't a great solution because I find I am switching to the main library a lot (for example, when my parents want to upload their pictures onto my computer). Is there a better way?

Hi,

First of all, congratulations on the new addition! I had two cameras in the delivery room when both of my kids were born. The first was over 12 years ago, yet I'm still amazed everytime I look at those pictures. Anyway, I think the best thing for you to do is what curiousuburb said; burn just those pictures onto a CD, then delete them from your iPhoto Library. When you want to view them, just pop the CD in and it will show up as a Library mounted via CD. Best of luck to you and yours.

Regards,

Marc
  • Reply 8 of 20
    I think I know how to do this. Gimme a week.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    [congrats on the baby!!]

This is a feature I've been wanting for awhile in iPhoto [and the ability to add movie clips from digital cameras].

This one time, I scrolled thru an album with my father, and he accidently saw a photo he shouldn't have seen. [we'll leave it @ that ]

anywho, the ability to keep the photo in the album, but have it locked would be nice. and you would have to enter a password to view the photo.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    well assuming that iphoto sharing works with fast user switching, create an account for other people to use. then all you have to do is open up iphoto in your account, go into prefs and tell it which albums to share, then fast user switch over to the other account and they'll never know those other pics exist. there reall yisnt a need for any password protection for iphoto becuase thats why you can create multiple accounts on one computer and share only selected albums.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Thanks for all your suggestions. Instead of archiving them to a CD, would it be possible to archive them on a disk image. I have never actually used this feature in iPhoto. The help file only mentions archiving to CD or DVD, but that seems like an arbitrary restiction. I would rather archive them to a disk image because then I wouldn't have to keep track of where I left the CD.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Export the Photo's to a Disk image (read/write) then encrypt the disk image with a password.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Write

Export the Photo's to a Disk image (read/write) then encrypt the disk image with a password.

This is, in effect, what I have been doing. However, I would like to be able to see these pictures in iPhoto to keep them organized. If I understand correctly, when you archive to CD, you can then mount the CD and it will show up as a second library in iPhoto. If you export like you are saying, you would have to re-import the pictures to see them in iPhoto.

I personally am not that worried about encryption. I mostly just want to avoid showing my boss some baby pictures or exchanging pictures with my parents and suddenly finding something they really don't want to see on the screen.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Somebody made a much slicker version of what I was going to do (excuse to learn Cocoa): http://homepage.mac.com/bwebster/iph...rymanager.html

It took 5 minutes to figure out how to make iPhoto switch libraries from the terminal, but I got a ways to go in learning how to do UI...
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by tchwojko

Somebody made a much slicker version of what I was going to do (excuse to learn Cocoa): http://homepage.mac.com/bwebster/iph...rymanager.html

This is great! Thanks for the reasearch and the pointer to the software.

-- Mehdi
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Actually, I found it entirely by accident when looking for something completely different. But, you're welcome!
  • Reply 17 of 20
    macbiemacbie Posts: 1member
    So, while the above link does lead you to a program that will do the job, there is something built right into OSX that easily allows you to separate public from private pics with no worry.

1) Create a 2nd Library in iPhoto for private photos. When opening iPhoto, hold down the Shift and Option keys. A menu will pop-up - click "Create Library". Enter the new library's name

- Note that to switch libraries, do the same Shift/Option open function, but click "Choose Library", then choose which library you want to view in iPhoto.

2) Put your private photos into this new library. (since you can't have both open at the same time, you need to have the Private library open and then drag the photos from the old library's folder in Finder to that iPhoto library to import them)

3) Switch to the Public library and delete the Private photos from the Public library.

4) Now, in order to view the 2nd library you would have to know to hold down Shift/Option when opening iPhoto to get into the library, and this is very hard to do by accident.

-- Another option, if you have want a further step of protection is to change your permissions on that iPhoto Private library in Finder. This is done by selecting the library folder, then choosing Get Info (command-I). Then, under Ownership & Permissions, change the permissions to No Access.

Can anyone tell that I really had some photos to hide? :-P

Jake
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by badtz View Post

[congrats on the baby!!]This one time, I scrolled thru an album with my father, and he accidently saw a photo he shouldn't have seen. [we'll leave it @ that ]

That's gotta be embarrassing......
  • Reply 19 of 20
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I like the mark as private function better.