Special Xeon in Mac Pro, MBP battery woes, iPod takes a bullet

Comments

• Reply 21 of 113
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

ROFL that is so bullshit in the US. An iPod takes a bullet, it just SO HAPPENS that he was placing the iPod somewhere hidden in his body. And out of ALL THE PLACES the bullet could of shot through, it just HAD to be the iPOD... and just like a movie, it saves his life... hahaha such bull shit, you guys are a bunch of liars, probably just shot it in there himself. USA faggots

Whatever side you're fighting for, you try running around not getting shot in urban warzones. I don't think you'll last beyond an hour. ...Take an iPod, at least in your last moments you can scroll to a playlist titled "Songs to Die With". Now that's a movie moment.
  • Reply 22 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...."It had bulged out from the insides," one repairman said of a battery that arrived at his desk. "At first, i didn't realise that it was a battery, until i turned it over and pressed the power-indicator button. The battery seemed to still work!"....

Mmm... "Hmmm... swollen potentially exploding battery.... Ah, WTF, I'll mess with it..."... ...Yes to be fair he didn't realise it was a battery until he pressed the button?
  • Reply 23 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALM View Post

I keep thinking about it, many say that Apple should give him new iPod. Strange logic. Actually that guy supposed to be thankful for such a good gadget and should run buy new iPod that save lifes.

"Army issues soldiers iPod vests"

The new vests are made of a mesh of iPods, which have been shown by actual combat experience to stop bullets. To save costs, however, the soldiers are only issued one set of earphones per vest, so there is no extended play capability unless the soldier manually changes the earphones from pod to pod. On the other hand, as each vest is made up of 150 to 230 iPods depending on the size of the vest, the recipient could, in theory, store enough music to last 35 years, depending on model.
  • Reply 24 of 113
    Brilliant . Army gets to save costs as well, 200 iPod Videos 30gb is probably cheaper than a Kevlar vest.
  • Reply 25 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

"Army issues soldiers iPod vests"

The new vests are made of a mesh of iPods, which have been shown by actual combat experience to stop bullets. To save costs, however, the soldiers are only issued one set of earphones per vest, so there is no extended play capability unless the soldier manually changes the earphones from pod to pod. On the other hand, as each vest is made up of 150 to 230 iPods depending on the size of the vest, the recipient could, in theory, store enough music to last 35 years, depending on model.

In other news, it was discovered that half of the iPods have been preloaded with top-of-the-charts Middle Eastern music, video and audio podcasts from Al Jazeera, plus "Top Ten Osama Cave-Speeches" audiobooks. "These would be very effective bribes in a situation where a coalition soldier might need to escape a tight situation, or would certainly be a very favourable bargaining chip in hostage situations*", a military spokesperson said.

*Release the coalition prisoners and we will bring more iPods for all of you...! Look - an entire crate just next to me, fresh from Shanghai -- and yes -- all preloaded with your favourite content....!
  • Reply 26 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

(posted twice because there's supposed to be 8 arms... if only four, why is he called Dr. "Octo"pus???

I count 8, must remember to count his own arms and legs. Unless you were being sarcastic, if so, I am dumb
  • Reply 27 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nathan2301 View Post

I count 8, must remember to count his own arms and legs. Unless you were being sarcastic, if so, I am dumb

Actually, I wasn't being sarcastic. I thought there would be 8 mechanical arms. But yeah, it would be 8 if you count his arms and legs. Cool thanks
  • Reply 28 of 113
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

ROFL... ...In other news, I need an iPod too for my GhostRecon: AdvancedWarfighter. Looks like it would make the game missions easier ...!!

It is NOT a funny comment my friend. Another half inch, and he would have been dead.
  • Reply 29 of 113
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    The ipod was rendered unusable because it bears an HP badge.
  • Reply 30 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

...Another half inch, and he would have been dead...

Well, that's what happens when humans go to war. It's not usually funny when people die, but it was funny in a way when eAi said "Perhaps if the guy hadn't been listening to his iPod he'd have avoided getting shot in the first place..." -- funny because it was somewhat of an absurdist comment.

Believe me, GhostRecon is very educational. Urban warfare is no joke. For whoever is involved in it, including civilians.

THIS is also not so funny:

http://icasualties.org/oif/

http://www.iraqbodycount.org/

But we can't take suffering too seriously? Otherwise we'd all be sitting around moping?
  • Reply 31 of 113
    id like to read (for laffs) microsofts response to the iPod stops bullets thing....

"Apple may be ahead in stopping bullets, but with the release of the watermellon Red Zune, we can catch up"

yeah... SURE

lucky lucky dude... but then the kevlar vest would have stopped it anyway
  • Reply 32 of 113
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

ROFL that is so bullshit in the US. An iPod takes a bullet, it just SO HAPPENS that he was placing the iPod somewhere hidden in his body. And out of ALL THE PLACES the bullet could of shot through, it just HAD to be the iPOD... and just like a movie, it saves his life... hahaha such bull shit, you guys are a bunch of liars, probably just shot it in there himself. USA faggots

Congrats. You're today's reason why cousins shouldn't marry. Nice job.

• Reply 33 of 113
    kendokakendoka Posts: 110member
    Regarding the "life saving iPod"...

Unfortunately, waging a war today is a lot of handling publicity - thus reports from the front tend to be very tailored (i.e. mostly lies). It is only natural to be sceptical when hearing a news like this - and that has nothing whatsoever to do with being pro-US or not.

*IF* the iPod saved the soldiers life this is good news (especially for him and his family/friends).

However as there are several other more "non-Hollywoodish" explanations - including the iPod being hit by an enemy bullet - but not being near a real person - and that someone deliberate put a bullet into it (for whatever reason, like: the soldier wanting some fame and a new iPod, the army needing a good story, the iPod becoming broken etc.).

In short:

-Stories that sound to be good to be true, seldom are...
  • Reply 34 of 113
    banalltvbanalltv Posts: 238member
    What about Zunes? We all know they can stop chairs but can one of them stop a bullet?
  • Reply 35 of 113
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

(posted twice because there's supposed to be 8 arms... if only four, why is he called Dr. "Octo"pus???

Because there's 4 robot arms, 2 real arms and 2 real legs = 8 limbs.
  • Reply 36 of 113
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Believe me, GhostRecon is very educational.

Back 25+ years ago I believe I might have said...

"Believe me, Blue Meanies from Outer Space is very educational" to justify why I'd spent 2 hours typing the thing in for my Vic 20 to my parents.
  • Reply 37 of 113
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjayBot View Post

Why oh why does that poor iPod have a HP engraved in the back of it! Its like an oxymoron!

I think it was necessary at the time because Apple didn't have good distribution at the time. That has chanced since then. I think the non-compete has expired such that they may sell their own HP branded player, but I haven't heard of one. It's kind of unfortunate that they quit the market, I think Compaq had the first portable music file player on the market.
  • Reply 38 of 113
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

The village called and they are missing their idiot! I'll have them pick you up.
  • Reply 39 of 113
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

This is what I call a classic self-discrediting post. Start out sounding somewhat sensible then ending with a derogatory comment, in this case, anti-gay. Why not do a Micheal Richards while you are at it?
  • Reply 40 of 113
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Could it be possible that Apple's Mac Pro 8 core is the fastest and most cost-effective x86/x86-64 -based workstation in the mainstream pro/prosumer market???

NAB April 15th announcement is going to rock. Mac Quad/Octo + FinalCutStudio 6 + ShakeRevised + Logic8(???unsure on this one) is going to DEMOLISH the lower-to-mid part of the AVID empire.

Woot

4 mechanical arms + 2 arms + 2 Legs = 8