Special Xeon in Mac Pro, MBP battery woes, iPod takes a bullet

Comments

• Reply 41 of 113
    Just reading the posts on this topic makes me embarassed for nearly all of you. Please tell me you are all still in the 4th grade.
  • Reply 42 of 113
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

This is what I call a classic self-discrediting post. Start out sounding somewhat sensible then ending with a derogatory comment, in this case, anti-gay.

Perhaps he's English. He might be anti meatball.
  • Reply 43 of 113
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

4 mechanical arms + 2 arms + 2 Legs = 8

OK OK I get it. 3 of you mentioned it already..!

Thanks for explaining though, I just wasn't thinking of his real arms and legs....
  • Reply 44 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Just reading the posts on this topic makes me embarassed for nearly all of you. Please tell me you are all still in the 4th grade.

My mind is probably stuck at 4th grade...
  • Reply 45 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Back 25+ years ago I believe I might have said...

"Believe me, Blue Meanies from Outer Space is very educational" to justify why I'd spent 2 hours typing the thing in for my Vic 20 to my parents.

Dude, that is *so* old skool I have no idea WTF you are talking about. I'm gonna have to Wiki it.

Edit: Heh. Playing it in Parallels from http://www.gapingwolf.com/

I keep running out of energy. I think I'll get back to GhostRecon for now.... Heh
  • Reply 46 of 113
    You're showing your age [again ], Aegis
  • Reply 47 of 113
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

This is what I call a classic self-discrediting post. Start out sounding somewhat sensible then ending with a derogatory comment, in this case, anti-gay. Why not do a Micheal Richards while you are at it?

Psychologists have shown that gay bashers are themselves afraid that they may be gay, and that they do this to assure themselves, and others that they are not.
  • Reply 48 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mayosolo View Post

I think Apple owes that soldier a new iPod, if for no other reason than the publicity.

Maybe one with kevlar on the exterior I guess if it were a newer iPod Video that is supposedly thinner, would be less fortunate? guess it pays to have older technology.
  • Reply 49 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Psychologists have shown that gay bashers are themselves afraid that they may be gay, and that they do this to assure themselves, and others that they are not.

I really don't think every person that says the word faggot is afraid of being gay. Im sure some people are just ignorant. Maybe others are just using the word light heartedly. And dont tell me that you cant. Not everyone is the same and living in an Appleinsider forum doesnt really give you a wide aspect of cultures and people.
  • Reply 50 of 113
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mayosolo View Post

I think Apple owes that soldier a new iPod, if for no other reason than the publicity.

Agreed... I wish I had an iPod when i was in Bosnia in 96. My tour there would have been much more enjoyable, I would have saved so much ruck space without my CD carrier...all the cool portable stuff seems to be out now. Kids are so lucky these days.
  • Reply 51 of 113
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It read like he was trying to get a date.
  • Reply 52 of 113
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

Agreed... I wish I had an iPod when i was in Bosnia in 96. My tour there would have been much more enjoyable, I would have saved so much ruck space without my CD carrier...all the cool portable stuff seems to be out now. Kids are so lucky these days.

especially Iraqi kids?
  • Reply 53 of 113
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Once again the Mac is the fastest Personal computer on earth.
  • Reply 54 of 113
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Congrats. You're today's reason why cousins shouldn't marry. Nice job.

Thought he sounded familiar. He's my trained monkey. Dance, damn you!!! (whip, whip)
  • Reply 55 of 113
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caribou Killa View Post

I really don't think every person that says the word faggot is afraid of being gay. Im sure some people are just ignorant. Maybe others are just using the word light heartedly. And dont tell me that you cant. Not everyone is the same and living in an Appleinsider forum doesnt really give you a wide aspect of cultures and people.

Surely you're not claiming he's cultured?
  • Reply 56 of 113
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caribou Killa View Post

I really don't think every person that says the word faggot is afraid of being gay. Im sure some people are just ignorant. Maybe others are just using the word light heartedly.

Wha? You can use hate words 'light-heartedly' now? I did not know that. I guess we can all use the n-word light-heartedly now. And I guess Ann Coulter was using 'faggot' in the 'easy breezy conversational way' when she used it on John Edwards, eh? \

(Though personally I think he let Coulter off pretty easily... Edwards should've responded 'light-heartedly' that while he was not gay, he was pretty sure that a night with Ann Coulter could turn him that way. )

I think hate speech survives mostly because people sympathetic to the ideas behind it continue to tolerate it... sorry for not being more light-hearted on the subject.

• Reply 57 of 113
    franksargentfranksargent Posts: 4,694member
    I seriously doubt the iPod saved this soldier's life.

All ballistic vests are typically designed to withstand 9mm rounds at up to 3,300 fps (it also depends on the jacket type, bullet shape/mass, number of plies of ballistic fabric, vest construction, and synthetic fibers used in the vest). Kevlar, Spectra, Zylon, Twaron, Vectran, and Technora are in the class of high strength/modulus synthetic fibers that can be or are used in the making of ballistic vests, these are either woven/uni-directional and have multiple plies (20-30 layers typical). Now blunt trauma beneath the vest is another matter entirely, nonetheless the vests are meant to protect the abdominal cavity from a wide range of metal projectiles.

Thus one of the three main reasons there is a high injury rate to death rate for soldiers over in Iraq. You know lost limbs. I'll let you guess the other two reasons.

Sorry to upset you Mac fanbois, but said iPod certainly did not save this soldier's life, the Kevlar vest lying immediately beneath this soldier's iPod most certainly saved this soldier's life.
  • Reply 58 of 113
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALM View Post

HP and Apple won't be able to decide who actually should replace it.

Apple, HP doesn't brand them anymore, plus it's rather cool that iPods save lives.

Sebastian
  • Reply 59 of 113
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

id like to read (for laffs) microsofts response to the iPod stops bullets thing....

"Apple may be ahead in stopping bullets, but with the release of the watermellon Red Zune, we can catch up"

yeah... SURE

lucky lucky dude... but then the kevlar vest would have stopped it anyway

A Kevlar vest probably isn't going to stop an unimpeded 7.62x39 AK round traveling at close to 1800 fps and delivering about 1200 ft.lbs of energy into a spot the size of a ballpoint pen tip. Kevlar vests are for protection against explosion fragments and lower velocity bullets.

And to the dumbass hillbilly who barfed out that misguided logic about how maybe the poor grunt wouldn't have gotten shot if he hadn't been listening to his iPod, I don't recall the article saying he was listening to it at the time. Let's not jump to conclusions just cuz he had it in his pocket.

And am I the only one on this forum old enough to remember that HP licensed the iPod for a while from Apple?
  • Reply 60 of 113
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    A guy who gave a speech at my college way back in the dark ages still holds on to a rabbit's foot he swears saved his life in Vietnam. The foot is shot in two, but slightly on one side of the bone...the bullet then pierced the guy's helmet and, fortunately for him, grazed his scalp causing minor injury. Whether or not the rabbit's foot actualy deflected the bullet or not (you can use whatever science you want to to prove or disprove it), this guy believes it saved his life, and will continue to say so forever. The guy sitting next to him, though, wasn't so lucky, and the same bullet entered his head just above his right ear, then proceeded to rip the left side of his head off.

The rabbit's foot may or may not have done anything. Then again, it may have.

Same with the iPod.

Also saw a very interesting show last summer about an investigation into a death at a shooting range. A kid got smacked in the head by a bullet although he was the only person in his room holding a gun. The shot ultimately was shown to have come from outside and one storey up, travelling through the wall and bouncing off two pipes. It was an amazing program and they actually matched the bullet to the gun and they were where the computer said they would be.

As for other interesting bullets: anybody actually believe the "Magic Bullet" theory about JFK's death?