HDTV as a Monitor?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am interested in using a 23 to 27 inch LCD HDTV as both a TV set, and also a computer monitor. I know these sets come with a DVI connector, so it will work for both TV and a computer screen. However, will it work well? Will it be as good as a dedicated LCD monitor? What's the down side, if there is one?

I tried finding a thread on this topic, but had no luck.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Many HDTVs have VGA inputs. When you hook them up to a Mac, they appear as monitors, and will run at 1360 x 768. My 32" Samsung looks great, but remember that the PPI (pixels-per-inch) is much higher than a dedicated monitor, so everything won't be as crisp and clear.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

When you hook them up to a Mac, they appear as monitors, and will run at 1360 x 768.

Thanks for the input. Since I won't be using this setup a lot, that resolution will be fine.

• Reply 3 of 10
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    i tried plugging my macbook in to my sony bravia yesterday with a vga cable. nothing happened, and i mean nothing. anyone with a sony bravia have any experience with this?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I plugged my MacBook i into my Dad's 1080p 37" Westinghouse the other day via DVI. It was awesome. I'm going to get one for the office as soon as I can spare the $$
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

i tried plugging my macbook in to my sony bravia yesterday with a vga cable. nothing happened, and i mean nothing. anyone with a sony bravia have any experience with this?

I have a Sony Bravia. The monitor connection is strictly digital video, from what I understand, so VGA would not work.

\
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

I have a Sony Bravia. The monitor connection is strictly digital video, from what I understand, so VGA would not work.

\

hmm that makes me mad, because it came with a rgb or vga cable whatever and said to use that to connect pcs.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

hmm that makes me mad, because it came with a rgb or vga cable whatever and said to use that to connect pcs.

My error! There are two ways to hook up a computer. Video 7 is VGA. Video 6 is HDMI, which you can connect using a HDMI to DVI cable or adapter. Nothing like looking in the operating instructions.

• Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

My error! There are two ways to hook up a computer. Video 7 is VGA. Video 6 is HDMI, which you can connect using a HDMI to DVI cable or adapter. Nothing like looking in the operating instructions.

hmm i'll i have to give it another go. so all you do is plug in the macbook, flip to video 7 and im set? if that is the case i will definetly have to try agian because thats what i did last time. is there any specific order? what page in the manual did you find that, i couldnt find much about PC input in my manual at all
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

hmm i'll i have to give it another go. so all you do is plug in the macbook, flip to video 7 and im set? if that is the case i will definetly have to try agian because thats what i did last time. is there any specific order? what page in the manual did you find that, i couldnt find much about PC input in my manual at all

In my manual, it's page 14, "When Connecting to Optional Equipment." You may need the setup menu. Go to "Using the PC Settings." I didn't see anything special there, but it's worth a try. If it doesn't work, it may be the cable. Check with the place you bought it from too.

• Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

In my manual, it's page 14, "When Connecting to Optional Equipment." You may need the setup menu. Go to "Using the PC Settings." I didn't see anything special there, but it's worth a try. If it doesn't work, it may be the cable. Check with the place you bought it from too.

well i know its not the cable because im using it as i type to span to another computer monitor. as i said, i will make a second attempt tomorrow. will post results. thanks for you help so far!