MacPro 3rd party RAM?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So I was waiting for a Mac Pro price drop with the release of octa-core.... well that did not happen... but I must at this point, purchase something. So I pulled the trigger, and here's my very first mac:

Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Bluetooth and AirPort Extreme

Wireless keyboard and mouse

...base configuration on the rest.

I'm going to upgrade the RAM and probably add a few hard drives next time Fry's has a nice deal on some SATA2 drives.

Hard drives, no problems there as far as I understand, just get a sata2 drive and install it.

For RAM however, I'm thinking of these:

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...893FE9A5CA7304

2 sticks of 1 gig RAM for around $300 seems like a good deal to me.

Is crucial a reliable source for this ram? Is there a more preferred or reliable source from 3rd party mac pro RAM?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    crucial has superb RAM. You will not have any problems.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    xwinxxwinx Posts: 18member
    Even cheaper still is OCW with 2 sticks of 1 gig ram for $255-240

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../53FB1MPK02GB/

Anyone out there use the OCW ram in there mac pro?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Crucial is the retail arm of Micron, one of the largest chip makers in the world, and one of those companies that supply RAM to Apple. In fact, in my MacPro the base 1GB RAM was from Micron. So you can buy from them with confidence.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Anybody heard any good or bad about Ramjet memory for Mac's?

http://www.ramjet.com/macpro.asp
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Crucial is the retail arm of Micron, one of the largest chip makers in the world, and one of those companies that supply RAM to Apple. In fact, in my MacPro the base 1GB RAM was from Micron. So you can buy from them with confidence.

Actually the Crucial RAM is usually Samsung, or something that begins with an S that is a very recognizable name. I've ordered from them a few times before, and I'm not sure they actually produce the ram themselves. I think they are a, more or less -> order the parts and assemble it kind of thing. If that, the RAM I've gotten never said anything but Samsung on it.

[edit} Come to think of it so did the RAM in my PowerMac before I installed more RAM. [edit]
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Actually the Crucial RAM is usually Samsung, or something that begins with an S that is a very recognizable name. I've ordered from them a few times before, and I'm not sure they actually produce the ram themselves. I think they are a, more or less -> order the parts and assemble it kind of thing. If that, the RAM I've gotten never said anything but Samsung on it.

[edit} Come to think of it so did the RAM in my PowerMac before I installed more RAM. [edit]

:]

My Crucial RAM always has Micron ICs on them. Maybe you got a really really cheap stick?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius View Post

:]

My Crucial RAM always has Micron ICs on them. Maybe you got a really really cheap stick?

I just used their configuration picker from their site.

SAMSUNG is the largest memory manufacturer in the world you know. Chances are that is where they get it.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    As far as I know, OWC is reputable. I had bought some from them, but not for the Mac Pro. Now that I see their prices, I hope to be able to upgrade soon.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    scout7idscout7id Posts: 57member
    I just put 4GB OWC RAM in my Mac Pro 2.66 on yesterday. So far, no problems. I now have 8GB and that seems to have solved my KP problem with EyeTV and Aperture running at the same time. BTW, OWC does have lifetime replacement warranty and they ship before they get the bad RAM back. Never had to use that though...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    csistacsista Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Anybody heard any good or bad about Ramjet memory for Mac's?

http://www.ramjet.com/macpro.asp

I just installed 2gigs from them the other day. Works great so far. From what I've read and heard, as long as you stick with Ramjet, Crucial, and OWC you'll be fine.