New G4

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Yes like the title says I just bought a new G4 ibook from macmall. I know you might say why when the macbooks are out. Well after comparing I came to one conclusion that the only reason why macbooks even came about so apple could further disgrace windows by making their machines run windows flawlessly. I don't need windows and you might say what about front row? Well you can run front row on newer g4 and when leopard comes out it will still run flawlessly on g4's so why need for a macbook? I couldn't come up with a reason.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by needaMAC View Post

Yes like the title says I just bought a new G4 ibook from macmall. I know you might say why when the macbooks are out. Well after comparing I came to one conclusion that the only reason why macbooks even came about so apple could further disgrace windows by making their machines run windows flawlessly. I don't need windows and you might say what about front row? Well you can run front row on newer g4 and when leopard comes out it will still run flawlessly on g4's so why need for a macbook? I couldn't come up with a reason.

How about that they are 4 times faster (system bus is 667MHz vs 133MHz in the G4 and the CPU is dual 1.83GHz minimum vs single 1.5GHz), they have magnetic power cords and latches and you can right-click using the trackpad.

The reason for the switch was because the G4s are very old chips and were long overdue an update but IBM couldn't deliver cool enough chips to put into a laptop with processing performance on the level of a G5. Intel could.

Now, if you are comfortable with the G4 i.e don't need the much faster performance and it was significantly cheaper than the Macbook, I can see why you might go for it. Powerbooks are cheaper than Macbooks too though and are much more stylish IMO.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    I don't think you're going to convince many people that a G4 was a wise purchase right now... software companies are already dropping support for PPC and this trend will undoubtedly continue while PPC hardware ages more.

Hopefully you got a smoking deal...
  • Reply 3 of 22
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    dont make him feel that bad. even though it was a poor choice imo. \ can you return it? haha

how much did you pay?

you should have considered a refurb MacBook, no joke. they are just like new (apple does a GREAT refurb job) and they are pretty cheap. they are MUCH faster and just better all around.

some things that may make you feel better:

- if it is a relatively short term solution, then it should be fine (about 1-3 years until i think PPC will be for the most part dropped)

- it doesnt get that much hotter

- battery life isnt that much worse

- could have gotten a larger screen

no matter how you spin it, the benefits outway the pros. please consider a return and getting an intel mac! iBooks are good machines though i guess...
  • Reply 4 of 22
    The screen quality alone on the MacBook vs. the dim, blah screen of the iBook is definitely worth it... however it's the original poster's decision, we're just trying to tell them they might be happier with the new model.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikef View Post

The screen quality alone on the MacBook vs. the dim, blah screen of the iBook is definitely worth it... however it's the original poster's decision, we're just trying to tell them they might be happier with the new model.

exactly. it is really in your best interest bud.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    tekmatetekmate Posts: 134member
    I have to say my PowerBook can still open most apps in less than 5 seconds. As for software Ebay is your friend you can still get plenty of great programs cheap I was looking to upgrade recently but after thinking about it my system does what I need why go to all the trouble.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    I never understood the startup time of an application being any indication of the app's performance...

I was not implying that existing G4 owners throw them away and buy Intel Macs, but to buy a G4 now seems illogical.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

I never understood the startup time of an application being any indication of the app's performance...

I was not implying that existing G4 owners throw them away and buy Intel Macs, but to buy a G4 now seems illogical.

You are correct it is not but 90% of what people do on their systems is surf the web, play music, and write letters. None of those things takes huge amounts of resources so start up speed is about the most meaningful measurement. We could argue that the new Macbooks can display iphoto collections a half a second quicker than my systems truthfully so what. Yes I have used the new systems at work we have about 400 Macs and I have worked on a good portion personally.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Regardless... what sense is there in spending the nearly the same on an iBook than you would for a MacBook?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Regardless... what sense is there in spending the nearly the same on an iBook than you would for a MacBook?

Some people just prefer the PowerPC architecture regardless of price. If he is happy with it what is wrong with it? No money out of your pocket.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The reason for the switch was because the G4s are very old chips and were long overdue an update but IBM couldn't deliver cool enough chips to put into a laptop with processing performance on the level of a G5. Intel could.

Don't worry, that's why new machines haven't really come out this year. At WWDC this year the Powerbook G5 will debut. It's finally time to experience the glory.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    well i hope you are satisfied with your purchase. in any case, im sure you will just love it anyways because well, its a mac!
  • Reply 13 of 22
    needamacneedamac Posts: 26member
    yes you guys did bring up good points that i thought of before buying my g4, but hey if in three years you guys think i will need a newer mac, think that means the g4 was able to last almost 10 years with major success. And yes I brought it for 699 from macmall.com with a free printer. You have to look at it from my p.o.v I was really tired of windows based pc's and their virus threats and microsofts poor attempts to even match apple. But at the same time couldn't really afford the more expensive macbooks so I had to find the best way and i figured getting a g4 would be good enough for the next few years. Anyone would have to admit that that ibook g4 will out perform most windows based pc's this year and years to come. Another great fact is that it will still run leopard when it comes out. I am really sad about the magnetic charger though. Oh yeah forgot to tell you guys this is my first mac and I already don't want to touch another window's based pc
  • Reply 14 of 22
    thank you if the g4 can handle all the things i need it to then why get a newer macbook.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

thank you if the g4 can handle all the things i need it to then why get a newer macbook.

Because a newer Macbook is 100 dollars more.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius View Post

Because a newer Macbook is 100 dollars more.

no try 300 more than the ibook i got brand new from macmall and if you found it for a 100 more than 699 than shame to me, but for peace of mind don't tell me cause i will feel like shit.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Obviously you made your choice already. I agree with the others, though, that it was probably not the wisest one. If you're on a budget and the iBook was brand new, however, it was maybe a bit too much money spent for obsolete technology, but I agree that this machine will serve you well for a few years to come.

BUT I advise you strongly to get some kind of warranty package (AppleCare). Those iBooks are a PITA to repair and one single repair will cost you more than the warranty package would have! (I know from experience...).

Quote:

Anyone would have to admit that that ibook g4 will out perform most windows based pc's this year and years to come.

This, my friend, is not true at all and I don't know where you got that from. Compare apples to apples and not oranges to melons. Don't compare the G4 iBook to Core2 Duo equipped tower or notebook PCs. Don't even compare them to the 300 USD PCs with Sempron or Celeron processors, because even those "el-cheapo" PCs will be a lot faster than the G4.

The big discussion, however, is whether Mac OS X or Windows becomes slower over the time because of all that crappy applications you install over time. Even the most simple anti-virus program can bring Windows down to a crawl. OS X doesn't have that, so from a subjective point of view when actually using the computer, you might be right. But again, the statement you made above is not true.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    I'm sorry I didn't clarify myself, but when I speak it's from a longterm investment standpoint. Right out the box yes both cheap pc's and the ibook would perform quite well, but what get's the pc in the long run is virus threats and how everything you download you don't fully get rid of when uninstalling. Well you say obsolete for a ibook so why is apple still selling refurb units on their website. I know they aren't into scamming people that openly. I don't care what people say this is my first rodeo with apple and their products so excuse me if I didn't want to jump straight in head first. Believe me I could bought a newer macbook, but I'd rather do my experimenting with a lower-end products first So when I do upgrade I will already know what I want for the next upgrade.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    I was very computer literate when using windows based pc's, but I didn't really know how macs worked or performed. nor did I know what type of programs were available for them and stuff like that. I had a friend here where I lived that had a ibook from 2 years ago and It was wizzing through apps better than my girlfriends dell from 2 years ago and I would have to say that the same amount of work had been to both the ibook and her dell. I was a virgin when coming to the mac world so I really didn't know what to get and my friend mislead me obivisously cause he had me all ancy over the ibooks then I come on here hoping to get some love for joining the mac world which I thought was better than the pc world. And the first thing I get is crap cause i bought a ibook g4. To tell you the truth I used my other friends 17 imac with core 2 duo and maybe it's cause I'm not really using the full potential of his imac versus my ibook that i don't notice the difference. I thought people on here could spot a newb right away and come off their high horse and give me suttle information and make me look like an ass. Thanks guys no better next time.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Nobody here wants to offend you, but as you stated in two threads that the G4 was still a viable alternative, people will always tell you that you're wrong here. As Windows people would when you say the Pentium-M is still state-of-the-art technology. Which it isn't.

Computer technology is evolving so fast nowadays. With the introduction of the MacBook Pros /iMacs in january 2006, it was clear that the G4 would be obsolete very soon. Then came the MacBooks and the Mac mini etc. In a few month's time, all the G4 machines were replaced with models far more modern and far more powerful. Which is why the G4 officially is obsolete technology. It is not used in new products any more. This has nothing to do with Apple (or any other computer manufacturer) selling some of their old inventory machines (which they obviously couldn't get rid of completely) through the Refurb store. Those are not the "actual" models but the obsolete ones.

Well, and as I wrote in my last answer, the iBook you bought will certainly serve you well for the years to come and from what I know now, your decision was not a bad one - if you want to have a look at what Macs are like. And your friend is indeed right about the "felt" speed of using applications on a Mac vs. in Windows, there will normally be no noticeable slowdown after using the computer for a few months (compared to Windows).

I'm sure you'll enjoy the iBook and won't want to go back to the Windows world. I also hope we can still have you around here despite the harsh answers you sometimes get on AI. Don't take them too personally, OK?