Question about the iPhone/Airplanes in the USA

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
As a business traveler, I was wondering what the general concensus is regarding using an iPhone for it's iPod features on a plane. In the US, you are not allowed to have your cell phone powered on during a flight. But, if you own an iPhone and want to listen to music on a plane will there be a "radio off" function similar to that on a Blackberry? I hope Apple addresses this.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    There's an 'Airplane' mode setting for the iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

...will there be a "radio off" function similar to that on a Blackberry? ...

And if not, who's gonna know ???
  • Reply 3 of 14
    fletchfletch Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

There's an 'Airplane' mode setting for the iPhone.

Has this been mentioned somewhere or are you speculating?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Well, if it is going to mess with the planes instruments I'm not going to risk it....(I'm saying this without knowing exactly why we are told we cannot have cell phones turned on while on a plane).
  • Reply 5 of 14
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:

Right, okay, what because RF detectors are so expensive that airlines can't afford them to ensure that the RF from a mobile doesn't interfer with the Aircraft electronics.

http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/detector.htm

Just about every phone has some kind of "Flight-mode" nowadays anyway.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

Has this been mentioned somewhere or are you speculating?

It has been stated by an Apple representative and reported in the press.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    didn't Steve Jobs mention that in his demo?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Right, okay, what because RF detectors are so expensive that airlines can't afford them to ensure that the RF from a mobile doesn't interfer with the Aircraft electronics.

They're not on US airliners (RF detectors). And the phones don't interfere with navigation (or anything else). But the FAA sees them as guilty until PROVEN innocent, so ... no phones on the plane.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

They're not on US airliners (RF detectors). And the phones don't interfere with navigation (or anything else). But the FAA sees them as guilty until PROVEN innocent, so ... no phones on the plane.

The real reason it that a phone which is on interferes with ground cell towers...or something along those lines.

I, for one, hope phones are never allowed on planes: when the door closes and people have to shut of their phones it's the only peaceful time I have.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

I, for one, hope phones are never allowed on planes: when the door closes and people have to shut of their phones it's the only peaceful time I have.

LOL....good point
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

It has been stated by an Apple representative and reported in the press.

Hmm....I haven't seen it anywhere but I'll have to look around for that quote.

EDIT - Guess I should have googled it first

"Like most music phones, iPhone can also operate in a non-wireless Airplane Mode, enabling you to use its iPod portion - and more - while in flight."

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...things-iphone/
  • Reply 12 of 14
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

The real reason it that a phone which is on interferes with ground cell towers...or something along those lines.

That's what the FCC claims. I personally think it's horse shit. My feeling is that it's the cell phone companies and companies that provide airphone access behind the ban. For one, even if you have free roaming, it's not free. The company just pays it for you. In flight, you'd potentially roaming all over the place, and quite quickly. Companies that provide airphone access are charging big bucks too. The same will go for wireless internet. There's too much money in it for them to let you use your phone.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Air travel is horrible enough these days without everyone talking their cell phones. They just don't want an airplane ride to be equivalent to a ride on the subway (in terms of annoyances)

I was on a private jet once and asked the pilot if I could use my blackberry to answer e-mails and he said "no problem, they don't interfere."
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

That's what the FCC claims. I personally think it's horse shit. My feeling is that it's the cell phone companies and companies that provide airphone access behind the ban. For one, even if you have free roaming, it's not free. The company just pays it for you. In flight, you'd potentially roaming all over the place, and quite quickly. Companies that provide airphone access are charging big bucks too. The same will go for wireless internet. There's too much money in it for them to let you use your phone.

I totally agree. But I would still like "phone-free" zones on planes.