Apple TV said to be worthy of overtaking both TiVo and Netflix

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pinnace Hiker View Post

So how is the Apple Airport Extreme downloading 3 episodes in three parallel streams to my Mac Quad, Chucker, I really would like to know? Its not so much about CPU power as about the parallel paths through my Mac to my harddrive and wether core technology expediates multiple downloads.

One of the benefits of being a tech stock investor is that it provides some not so guilty pleasure in trying out high end equipment to see what the future holds for most people. The problem with the stock analyst's Apple hype that started this discussion is that he apparently has no practical knowledge as a user.

Simultaneous downloads have been possible since the early '90s. Maybe the '80s. Downloading files takes up next to no processing power whatsoever, so one CPU core can just alternate all three of them easily and still be idling 99% of the time.
  • Reply 102 of 114
    atvmanatvman Posts: 2member
    You can get you Applte to replace your TiVo but it certainly doesn't come that way. Look at the list of modifications needed and also find out if its worth your time at http://applehacks.blogspot.com
  • Reply 103 of 114
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atvman View Post

You can get you Applte to replace your TiVo but it certainly doesn't come that way. Look at the list of modifications needed and also find out if its worth your time at http://applehacks.blogspot.com

It's the latest AppleTV hack that interests me. Booting into and replacing your AppleTV OS X with a modified kernel version of Mac OS X via the USB service port without ever cracking open the AppleTV case.

I'm just waiting for the procedure to cleaned up a bit as it's a bit beyond my technical prowess.
  • Reply 104 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bravedeer View Post

There'll be a small number of people buying Apple TVs compared to the people buying iPods.

what would small be? if iPods Shiped is 100million?

you try selling 10 million of anything
  • Reply 105 of 114
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's the latest AppleTV hack that interests me. Booting into and replacing your AppleTV OS X with a modified kernel version of Mac OS X via the USB service port without ever cracking open the AppleTV case.

I'm just waiting for the procedure to cleaned up a bit as it's a bit beyond my technical prowess.

I'm still a little sad it's not got a gigabit ethernet port. It'd make a perfect little home server if it did with a big USB drive attached. It just stuns me that Apple's last two network products don't have gigabit.
  • Reply 106 of 114
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Prediction: more than half the questions in Apple Stores and other stores will go like this:

So how do I record?

Rep: You can't.

Consumer promptly walks away.
  • Reply 107 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Prediction: more than half the questions in Apple Stores and other stores will go like this:

So how do I record?

Rep: You can't.

Consumer promptly walks away.

Trust me, it'll go *you can't yet*

EDIT: If for no other reason than the rep will sell one and get commission.
  • Reply 108 of 114
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HiddenWolf View Post

Trust me, it'll go *you can't yet*

EDIT: If for no other reason than the rep will sell one and get commission.

How many people are fooled by the promise of ex post facto upgrades?
  • Reply 109 of 114
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

How many people are fooled by the promise of ex post facto upgrades?

Dunno... how many Windows users are there again?
  • Reply 110 of 114
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Aside from maybe the Vista coupons, what later upgrades are Windows users supposedly thinking they will be getting after they've bought the computer? The coupons don't count because the user gets documentation, not some implied or unwritten promise of an upgrade.
  • Reply 111 of 114
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

• Reply 112 of 114
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    You've got a point--I'd probably do that, in good faith even, if I was that rep.

Just read an article dissing the Apple TV's image quality though, and it disturbingly apparently got its butt kicked by the XBOX. Unfortunate. As it is now, I'm telling you guys, it's the next HiFi. I just read that it doesn't have standard RCA jacks. Well guess what most TVs have? Oh, that's right. Standard RCA jacks. Hey Apple--good job cutting 90% of your market off! All those college students, and every other slob not lucky enough to have thousands of bucks to blow on an HDTV...can't use an Apple TV. Blah Blah target market blah blah. I like someone's quote about how you can define a target market all you want by just making it smaller. So I guess the Apple TV is in a similar market with the HiFi: people who shop at the Sharper Image.
  • Reply 113 of 114
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I just read that it doesn't have standard RCA jacks.

The AppleTV? It has RCA Stereo ports. I half expected S-Video on the AppleTV, but certainly no Composite RCA video. The quality is just too low. I have a feeling that poor college kids aren't the target market here. I think the target market is people with HD sets and a lot of iTS purchases. I expect to see much higher video resolutions any day now.
  • Reply 114 of 114
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

You've got a point--I'd probably do that, in good faith even, if I was that rep.

Just read an article dissing the Apple TV's image quality though, and it disturbingly apparently got its butt kicked by the XBOX. Unfortunate. As it is now, I'm telling you guys, it's the next HiFi. I just read that it doesn't have standard RCA jacks. Well guess what most TVs have? Oh, that's right. Standard RCA jacks. Hey Apple--good job cutting 90% of your market off! All those college students, and every other slob not lucky enough to have thousands of bucks to blow on an HDTV...can't use an Apple TV. Blah Blah target market blah blah. I like someone's quote about how you can define a target market all you want by just making it smaller. So I guess the Apple TV is in a similar market with the HiFi: people who shop at the Sharper Image.

28 Percent of Homes Have HDTVs; The group added that another 16 million HDTVs will ship into the marketplace this year.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/cea040907.htm

Some people skate to the puck. I skate to where the puck is going to be." - Wayne Gretzky.

I don't think Apple has any interest in supporting the floppy drive, serial port or standard RCA jacks. And a hair dryer like the 360 in the living room is not a good experience.

oh, by the way, the Hi-Fi is a very very successfully selling product. It is a best seller. Go figure.

Think about it.