Any Linux users here ?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TekMate View Post

For an image browser that does light editing the requirements are outrageous:

2.0 GHz x86 compatible processor(s) with SSE support; 1 GB RAM (2 GB recommended)

Don't worry about it..Tekmate.

I am running it on a Compaq deskpro EN using a P3 866 Mhz chip (133) with just 384 Mgbytes of ram. (3 X 128 sticks)

Seems to function perfectly fine with that set up.

Aquafire
  • Reply 22 of 28
    detailsdetails Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquafire View Post

I personally would recommend you use Fedora which has a very good community backup.

http://www.fedoraforum.org/

Fedora 7 has just been released and this is a first snapshot of it using the Gnome windowing system ( roughly equivilant to Finder in Mac)

http://www.phoronix.net/image.php?id...ora_7t2_02_lrg

The new Fedora desktop/icons are fugly. Fedora and Red Hat are kewl though.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by details View Post

The new Fedora desktop/icons are fugly. Fedora and Red Hat are kewl though.

I hear you. The Fedora 7 theme is butt~ugly.

Luckily it is easily replaced.

Their "hot air balloons" theme, is laughably quaint.

When I first saw it, I couldn't help but think of Carl Sagan and his whacky idea that there might be balloon creatures floating through the atmosphere of Jupiter.

All we need now is a Fedora 8 theme using "Lost in Space" to round it all off...hehe

Aquafire
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:

I hear you. The Fedora 7 theme is butt~ugly.

Luckily it is easily replaced.

Their "hot air balloons" theme, is laughably quaint.

When I first saw it, I couldn't help but think of Carl Sagan and his whacky idea that there might be balloon creatures floating through the atmosphere of Jupiter.

All we need now is a Fedora 8 theme using "Lost in Space" to round it all off...hehe

Aquafire

It's not even close to being finalized. I expect to see that artwork changed in the near future. And if it's not? Well I hate Fedora anyways.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    tekmatetekmate Posts: 134member
    Quote:

Don't worry about it..Tekmate.

I am running it on a Compaq deskpro EN using a P3 866 Mhz chip (133) with just 384 Mgbytes of ram. (3 X 128 sticks)

Seems to function perfectly fine with that set up.

Aquafire

Cool that is reasonable.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    I run a FreeBSD webserver for our TV channel. (I don't care if FreeBSD isn't actually Linux). It works pretty well in that respect and the packages are dead easy to install. We do run it in text-only mode though, and having used it once with GNOME, I can say it is butt-ugly.

SuSE is pretty nice, although it also seemed a bit slow on the PII I was running it on.

XUbuntu is a nice bet for a fast OS.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    I've been running Kubuntu on my home desktop for about four months now, Gentoo for two years before that. It's a great complement to a Mac laptop. Kubuntu in particular was almost as easy to install/configure as OS X and is just as easy to keep updated. Damn near zero-maintenance.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Towel View Post

I've been running Kubuntu on my home desktop for about four months now, Gentoo for two years before that. It's a great complement to a Mac laptop. Kubuntu in particular was almost as easy to install/configure as OS X and is just as easy to keep updated. Damn near zero-maintenance.

Pity that Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Edbuntu have dropped support for Mac machines. Most particularly the PPC range.

Maybe Leopard will allow Parallels to extend into Linux environments?

I also think it would be nice to get KDE/Gnome/XFCE interfaces going for Mac's boring as all hell X-Windows environment.

Other than that, I think it a pity that Apple doesn't bring a port of iTunes to Linux users.

Cheers

Aqualinux....err... I mean Aquafire..