what was the point of the HP ipod?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
it was the same thing what was the point of HP selling them with an HP logo?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shady104 View Post

it was the same thing what was the point of HP selling them with an HP logo?

To knock out one more "potential" competitor. HP dropped the MP3 business after it dropped the iPod. Mission complete, Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    saikosaiko Posts: 46member
    If I remember correctly, it was a joint venture thing where as long as HP could brand iPods and sell them, every HP computer came preloaded with iTunes.

AFAIK, just a marketing tool to get iTunes out there and more well known.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post

Here is one use:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiki/445618364/

Yeah, saw this a few days a go. Just think, if it wasn?t for the Apple-HP deal, then maybe that guy wouldn?t have bought an iPod, and then maybe he would have died. Praise Jesus!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post

Here is one use:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiki/445618364/

Good thing he didn't have a Nano.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

To knock out one more "potential" competitor. HP dropped the MP3 business after it dropped the iPod. Mission complete, Apple.

Since you mention it...

Kind of reminds me of Robert Altman's movie, "The Player" in which a subplot involves studio exec Griffin Mill dumping a low-budget project on newcomer Larry Levy's lap, selling the studio chief Joel Levison on the idea of doing it with no stars and a downer ending... After it bombs in test screenings, Mill comes in, reworks the ending, saves the picture and the studio and eventually takes Levison's job!

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple DID partner up with HP knowing it would blow up in HP's hands and make Apple look better. However, in order for this to actually work, a company has to be able to put their money where their mouth is and actually deliver a better product than the people they're partnering with.

Also reminds me of the ROKR... Some say this was entirely a setup but I think Apple was testing the market and had the iPhone as a backup plan should this one fail. If it worked, points for Apple, if it failed, no points for Motorola and Apple at least has a backup plan to swing into action after the world has formulated opinions on what a crappy job Motorola did with the same rough concept.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snowdog74 View Post

Since you mention it...

Kind of reminds me of Robert Altman's movie, "The Player" in which a subplot involves studio exec Griffin Mill dumping a low-budget project on newcomer Larry Levy's lap, selling the studio chief Joel Levison on the idea of doing it with no stars and a downer ending... After it bombs in test screenings, Mill comes in, reworks the ending, saves the picture and the studio and eventually takes Levison's job!

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple DID partner up with HP knowing it would blow up in HP's hands and make Apple look better. However, in order for this to actually work, a company has to be able to put their money where their mouth is and actually deliver a better product than the people they're partnering with.

Also reminds me of the ROKR... Some say this was entirely a setup but I think Apple was testing the market and had the iPhone as a backup plan should this one fail. If it worked, points for Apple, if it failed, no points for Motorola and Apple at least has a backup plan to swing into action after the world has formulated opinions on what a crappy job Motorola did with the same rough concept.

Heh. It's pretty clear HP and Moto got "used" big time. Took it up the shaft from iSteve. ...For moto though, not enough payback for the Moto/Freescale/IBM PowerPC for Macs 2000-2005 5-year CPU debacle.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snowdog74 View Post

Since you mention it...

Good points, but I can't imagine Apple was ever going to settle for the ROKR or viewed the iPhone as a "backup".

The iPhone is major, major tech for Apple, and it's clear that Steve thinks its rollout is momentous as the first Mac.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

And to get into more distribution channels and get iTunes exposure with one of the leading consumer PC makers. Mission also complete.