High school teens say they'll plunk down $500 for iPhone

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Though it hasn't yet hit the market, most high school students are already aware of Apple's iPhone device, with a significant number saying they're interested in forking over the $500 to call one their own, a recent study has shown.

As part of its 13th bi-annual teen survey, researchers at PiperJaffray surveyed approximately 500 high school students at 11 different institutions across the country, asking each about their interest and buying patterns in portable digital audio and online music.

Somewhat surprisingly, nearly 85 percent said they were already familiar with the multi-function Apple gadget, and of those students, 25 percent said they'd be willing to buy one at the previously announced $500 entry point.

Similarly, the PiperJaffray study found that Apple continues to dominate the portable media player market by a large margin, with 82 percent of students who own a PMP saying they own an iPod. Sony, at a distant second, saw its share amongst the teen demographic level off around 4 percent.

"We believe that the teen demographic is a critical component of long-term growth in both markets, and Apple is clearly leading the category, said Gene Munster, a Sr. Analyst at the firm. "Among high school students, it is clear that Apple is successfully carrying its brand from the media player market into the mobile phone space."

Still, Munster said he's modeling for the Cupertino-based electronics maker to sell just 660,000 iPhones during the 2007 fiscal year ending September and just another 4 million in the proceeding 12 months.

"We expect increasingly widespread adoption of the iPhone in more price-sensitive markets after the price gradually comes down," he wrote. "Even if 20 percent of those students (or 5 percent overall) actually enter the market at $500, our estimate may prove to be conservative."

Meanwhile, of the 42 percent of students who said they are interested in buying a portable media player in the next 12 months -- including first time buyers and replacements -- 73 percent expect to purchase an iPod. Though that figure is down slightly from the 76 percent reported by PiperJaffray as part of its Fall 2006 teen survey, Apple's lead remains significant over the second most popular option, which, again, is a Sony player at 11 percent.

At the same time, the percentage of students downloading music continues to rise, up to 83 percent from the 79 percent. However, most (64 percent) are reportedly using free music sharing networks instead of paying for music legally, down just 8 percent from 72 percent in Fall 06. Of those students who say they legally purchase music online, 89 percent said they use iTunes, down slightly from 91 percent.

"Notably, the percentage of music downloaded legally from online music stores (36 percent) is at its highest since this portion of the bi-annual Teen Survey began in Spring 2005," added Munster. That is to say, legally purchased music has its biggest share of the online downloads category since that time. Of those online music stores, iTunes' share remains high [...] with Napster a distant second at 3 percent."

Of those students polled by PiperJaffray, the average age was 16.6 years old. 58 percent of students surveyed were female, 42 percent male.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 143
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Where did this survey take place? Until I was about 18, $500 wasn't exactly a convenient sum, and even at 18 and after I wouldn't call $500 convenient. Where were the locations of the 11 schools? Beverly Hills? Potomac?
  • Reply 2 of 143
    saikosaiko Posts: 46member
    I'll be one of those 18 year olds to proudly own one on launch... An awesome present for graduation at the end of May. (My cell service with verizon is up with at the end of May anyway.. couldn't have been more convenient timing. My dad actually suggested the iPhone as a present. I couldn't say no ! )
  • Reply 3 of 143
    Title Correction: Spoiled high school teens say they'll whine until their parents plunk down $500 for iPhone

Seriously! Where do kids get that kind of money??!?! I have a decent job and I still can't afford an iPhone.

Geeze...

-Clive
  • Reply 4 of 143
    In my humble opinion this survey forgot to look at parents, who are often the people who have to pay the bill. I wonder how many parents are willing to fund a $500+ phone PLUS a data plan.
  • Reply 5 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Title Correction: Spoiled high school teens say they'll whine until their parents plunk down $500 for iPhone

Seriously! Where do kids get that kind of money??!?! I have a decent job and I still can't afford an iPhone.

Geeze...

-Clive

Yep, exactly what I was about to say.
  • Reply 6 of 143
    tokoloshtokolosh Posts: 101member
    I was always the best at spending my parents' money on the latest and greatest. \
  • Reply 7 of 143
    When i was a teen i had a good job to earn some cash for University, i answered phones in the evenings and weekends for a law firm. I gladly shelled out $450 for an iPod and didn't regret it for a second. I also spent the rest of the summers earning and saving for my first years tuition and the $800 snowboard i wanted.

Kids have money and they are more than ready to spend it.
  • Reply 8 of 143
    my favourite part of this report...

...the number of people planning to buy a zune
  • Reply 9 of 143
    thebeatthebeat Posts: 113member
    yeh they should definitely make their own iPhone or their own Celluar Phone. Cause $500 is way too much
  • Reply 10 of 143
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    I'm a senior and 18 and between my job and winnings from playing proffesional chess I have PLENTY of money to blow on this stuff.

I skipped class to watch the keynote when the iphone came out

and I already have my money put aside for it=)
  • Reply 11 of 143
    Quote:

Geeze...

-Clive

hehe. Well, unfortunately being a grown up usually means you need to pay for pesky things like a car, home, insurance, heathcare, food, cloths, furniture, utilities, teh internet, etc.

That said, being a grown up also means you can spend money on things that are a LOT more entertaining the a stupid phone.
  • Reply 12 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Where did this survey take place? Until I was about 18, $500 wasn't exactly a convenient sum, and even at 18 and after I wouldn't call $500 convenient. Where were the locations of the 11 schools? Beverly Hills? Potomac?

I worked close to 30 hours a week in high school. I made $500 in a month.
  • Reply 13 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aqua OS X View Post

That said, being a grown up also means you can spend money on things that are a LOT more entertaining the a stupid phone.

Hookers?

-Clive
  • Reply 14 of 143
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Hookers?

-Clive

Only if you include the line and sinkers!
  • Reply 15 of 143
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

In my humble opinion this survey forgot to look at parents, who are often the people who have to pay the bill. I wonder how many parents are willing to fund a $500+ phone PLUS a data plan.

Are you kidding me? There must be at least 2 million kids in Southern California alone with parents willing to spoil them with the latest Apple trend item.
  • Reply 16 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Only if you include the line and sinkers!

Is that some sort of twisted inuendo that I don't understand in the least, or were you actually talking about fishing?

-Clive
  • Reply 17 of 143
    Quote:

Bingo,

$500 for the phone is pricey but makes for a special present, but who is going to pay for the service?

I'm asking myslef this question.
  • Reply 18 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

I worked close to 30 hours a week in high school. I made $500 in a month.

Dude, you got robbed. I worked 10 hours a week and made that much a month... but I spent it on hot dates... and nefarious mind-bending drugs.

Okay just kidding about the "hot dates" part. -- I mean the drugs.

-Clive
  • Reply 19 of 143
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Dude, you got robbed. I worked 10 hours a week and made that much a month... but I spent it on hot dates... and nefarious mind-bending drugs.

Okay just kidding about the "hot dates" part. -- I mean the drugs.

-Clive

Unfortunately, I had access to neither.
  • Reply 20 of 143
    daijonesdaijones Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shakerben View Post

my favourite part of this report...

...the number of people planning to buy a zune

Oh yes! Interesting that the survey doesn't even ask about the Zune, grouping it under "Other" at a guess. A good indication of the impact zune has had on the market