High school teens say they'll plunk down $500 for iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carson O'Genic View Post

Bingo,

$500 for the phone is pricey but makes for a special present, but who is going to pay for the service?

I'm asking myslef this question.

Spot on. I *could* afford the phone... I wouldn't be able to spend an additional $1000 (+?) /yr on service/data plan! The plan pricing is going to be critical! I hope Apple/Cingular/AT&T realize this.

-Clive
  • Reply 22 of 143
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Is that some sort of twisted inuendo that I don't understand in the least, or were you actually talking about fishing?

-Clive

Yes, me hearty, fishing! What else would you spend money on?
  • Reply 23 of 143
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Unfortunately, I had access to neither.

How about now?
  • Reply 24 of 143
    When I was in highschool, over 20 YEARS ago, I saved up over the summer to buy my first computer, the Commodore Amiga. It cost me $1,200. I had no problem working evenings and weekends and putting my money away. \

A couple of months ago, Guy Kawasaki, former Apple evangelist, commented on the iPhone craze and how he didn't think the phone merited such attention. He also noted that his 11 year old is going above-and-beyond the call of duty on chores, in trying to earn $500 to buy one. I don't think this is rocket science, and believe it or not, the standard of living has gone up along with minimum wage, since I was saving money as a kid. I think my wages were $6.25/hr. at the time cashiering and bagging at the neighborhood supermarket. BIG DEAL.

It's very possible the most of you who think $500 is TOO MUCH for kids to get their hands on, should revise your outlook on what it means to be ambitious. In my opinion, if a kid can't earn $500 in 4-6 months of part-time work, they're probably not working very hard. If someone makes $50 take-home pay a week, they'll have $500 in about 2 1/2 months.

Am I missing something? Don't call kids "spoiled" simply because you have a lack of imagination. Not exactly fair.
  • Reply 25 of 143
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

How about now?

Now I do, but I haven't the time to pursue the girls, and no interest in the drugs.
  • Reply 26 of 143
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cleverboy View Post

I don't think this is rocket science, and believe it or not, the standard of living has gone up along with minimum wage, since I was saving money as a kid. I think my wages were $6.25/hr. at the time cashiering and bagging at the neighborhood supermarket. BIG DEAL.

I think it has more to do with people charging anything and everything to credit cards and spending themselves into oblivion.
  • Reply 27 of 143
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Is that some sort of twisted inuendo that I don't understand in the least, or were you actually talking about fishing?

If you get to be good at it, you become a master baiter.

Seriously, I have no idea, I thought I'd finish it like a tawdry joke.
  • Reply 28 of 143
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

Title Correction: Spoiled high school teens say they'll whine until their parents plunk down $500 for iPhone

Seriously! Where do kids get that kind of money??!?! I have a decent job and I still can't afford an iPhone.

Geeze...

-Clive

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cleverboy View Post

It's very possible the most of you who think $500 is TOO MUCH for kids to get their hands on, should revise your outlook on what it means to be ambitious. In my opinion, if a kid can't earn $500 in 4-6 months of part-time work, they're probably not working very hard. If someone makes $50 take-home pay a week, they'll have $500 in about 2 1/2 months.

Am I missing something? Don't call kids "spoiled" simply because you have a lack of imagination. Not exactly fair.

Well, I think it is some of both.

Knowing how much I pay for baby-sitting, I imagine I am going to be purchasing (if not seeing) several iPhones

I also know there are tons of kids out there with very high end phones who haven't lifted a finger past pointing at what they want.

I work in a middle school. 12, 13 and 14 year olds with the hottest phones... There isn't a teacher in the building who has one that compares with the average student phone, much less with the high end ones. I suspect, but I don't know, that the parents don't have top of the line phones for themselves.

How much have things changed? Before we get all high and mighty about how kids are spoiled now, we need to recall our own pasts...

In the 80s in Philly, it was sneakers. The new Air Jordans or whatever ran well over $100. There were plenty of kids who found a way to get them. Work for it, steal it, guilt the parents, trick the parents, beg--I don't know how they did it, but they were all over!

[Of course, in my household our budget was $20 or less for shoes--had to get the off-brand from the bins. I guess that means that I am due... I guess an iPhone would soothe that emotional scar...]
  • Reply 29 of 143
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    How do most teenagers get their PSPs? How do most teenagers get their PS3s. How do most kids buy the software and content to play on these devices?

Most importantly how do most teenagers get their iPods?

Why does the iPhone and its price merit exclusion from this group of popular devices?
  • Reply 30 of 143
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    It's really nothing new. I've seen quite a few ten and eleven-year-olds carrying around iPods, minis and nanos in the last few years. You know these kids didn't work for the money because of child labor laws, so obviously mommy and daddy bought these $200+ toys for them. Back when I was a kid, my parents would have blanched at a $50 toy, but that's not the case with today's parents.
  • Reply 31 of 143
    I don't know how accurate this survey is to a large percentage of the population. I live in suburbia where most of the kids have a BMW or VW waiting for them when they hit 13, and are nearly guaranteed a newer model by the time they hit 16 (if not sooner). Everyone sports at least one iPod and very few have trouble affording the extremely expensive housing.

However, very few kids in my High School even WANT an iPhone, little less plan on purchasing one. It's the same reason very few kids in my HS want a PS3. Sure it's neat, but it's not quite worth it. Maybe pop culture will over emphasize Apple's new wonder gadget, and it will go from neat to "worth it", but as of right now it hasn't crossed that border. The thing that makes the difference, I believe, is that most of the kids in my HS have some form of common sense. Sure, maybe their parents can afford the device - but is it worth it?
  • Reply 32 of 143
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Nothing like training our children early in life that it's all about material goods and that they are "entitled" to $500 phones. Yes, some kids will work hard, save their money, and "earn" the phone. I guess that's just training them for the typical American adult life of overwork, "keeping up with the Jones" and forced dual-income families...but I digress. Based on what I see with the kids and families I know, most of these iPhones will be purchased by parents, and probably the service plan, too. It's just sad really. Where I work we have many summer college interns; and it's just appalling the attitude many of them show up with, a marked lack of respect and sense of entitlement that when I was in college would get you kicked out the door within a week.

But be that as it may, good for Apple!
  • Reply 33 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Only if you include the line and sinkers!

funny... considering your post on the other thread about the POSTER not makeing sarcasm clear enough

----

to the people whinging about $500 being too much... heres a hint, dont buy it!

yeah its likely way much money than YOU would have spent as a kid, but inflation is this funny thing, its like time itself, it just happens.

we all make choices, we all balance our needs with our wants... kids have less to worry about outgoings like a mortgage or car payments. its not rocket science
  • Reply 34 of 143
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Even though I could easily pay $500 for anything when I was in high school, an iPhone would hardly be something that I will be spending that much money on.

Hell, I can business expense one now, but it can't do half the stuff that my Ipaq can.
  • Reply 35 of 143
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Don't kids save for college any more? I guess not. My parents took every cent I made or was given as a gift and put it towards college for me. The only time I ever got to spend any of that money was when I got my Pismo PowerBook G3 for college.

I went to a private college for my first year after taking out a loan but after sitting on the floor for most of my classes because they accepted too many students, I transferred to a public college when I got my degree. In the end, I only ever took out two loans, the first one for the year at the private college (I'm still paying this loan off) and a smaller one for one semester's tuition. Other than that, I somehow survived getting through college without being $50-$100k in debt thanks to my parents making me save that money.

I can't imagine how my parents would have reacted had I asked to spend $500 or $600 on anything back then, never mind an iPhone.
  • Reply 36 of 143
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Unlike the iPod, the iPhone also requires a 2 year subscription with AT&T. The logistics of the required service and contract make it harder for the iPhone to become ubiquitous among the younger generation.
  • Reply 37 of 143
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I was in high school about 20 years ago also.

I had to work at Arby's to earn enough to get a pair of Air Jordans. My parents complained at the time that we were spoiled in comparison to when they were my age. I think they were right. My Dad tells me he had one pair of shoes most of his high school years, he had to work a paper route to earn money for his high school graduation suit.

I have a younger sister. She is even more spoiled than me. Looking at the younger generation I believe they clearly have a lax work ethic and they have much more sense of entitlement than when I was that age.

A couple of years back I met an 18 year old who was graduating from high school. He said he would feel like a failure if he wasn't a millionaire by the time he was 25. I asked what was his plan for becoming a millionaire. He said he didn't know yet his option were to rap, be an actor, or a football player were all still open.
  • Reply 38 of 143
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fran441 View Post

Don't kids save for college any more? I guess not. My parents took every cent I made or was given as a gift and put it towards college for me. The only time I ever got to spend any of that money was when I got my Pismo PowerBook G3 for college.

I think nowadays they go straight from high school to trying to start the next "digg" on the web.
  • Reply 39 of 143
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Hey, I know one kind of student that can both afford an iPhone, and need many of its great features - Drug Dealers!

The Calendar and Calculator functions will both be well-used, as well as ounces-grams conversion tools, and there will surely be some great issues of "high times" and "guns and ammo" available for download directly into the iPhone version of Safari! And if there's hands-free answering and auto-music mute, they can receive orders while listening to their favorite trendy urban music remixes!
  • Reply 40 of 143
    gigawiregigawire Posts: 196member
    This survey is clear evidence that this country is going to hell. I'm sorry, but willing to part with $500 for a wizbang gee whiz cool PHONE is ridiculous in this age bracket.