Surprise ad for Apple TV begins airing on networks

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Launching almost without fanfare, a spot for Apple's new media hub has begun making the rounds of TV networks.

Apple, Inc. on Monday launched a surprise new commercial for its Apple TV device, emphasizing the simplicity and echoing Steve Jobs' observations that the company was entering the living room after coming into cars, dens, and pockets.

The ad begins with a full-screen segment from the Paramount movie School of Rock, pulling out to reveal an iMac and observing that "it" -- that is, the video -- "is on your computer." It then draws the connection between the Mac and all of Apple's lineup by shifting to an iPod playing the same clip in a nearby room, adding that "it's on your iPod."

Finally, the scene pans to the living room where the Apple device plays the video on a TV, simply adding that "now, it's on your TV. Introducing Apple TV." The promo ends with a shot of the Apple TV substituting for the company's habitual ending logo shot.

Apple has yet to post the video online, but a sample is available below.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 121
    k.c.k.c. Posts: 60member
    Apple is marketing their latest product for TV on TV and that's news ?
  • Reply 2 of 121
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    On CNBC? Hmmm.... I think that spot may have been more for the investor community than for consumers.

Not too exciting, and it feels sort of derivative. Isn't there another ad out for AT&T or Verizon (or Best Buy?) that's sort of like that one?
  • Reply 3 of 121
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    There is no such thing as an original thought, right? Anyway, even though I despise AppleTV in its current form, at least they're trying to increase awareness.
  • Reply 4 of 121
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    I can't wait to not buy this thing!
  • Reply 5 of 121
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

That ad had a surprising lack of Apple finesse. The harsh dark shadow on the Apple TV at the end did not look quite right. Could this ad be a fake? Either that or their marketing department had a serious cut back in the budget.
  • Reply 6 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

That ad had a surprising lack of Apple finesse. The harsh dark shadow on the Apple TV at the end did not look quite right. Could this ad be a fake? Either that or their marketing department had a serious cut back in the budget.

Seems like it must be a different marketing company than the usual one. This definitely seems a bit blaze-blah. Apple does seem to like Jack Black though...

I'm waiting for this one:

It's on your computer... its on your iPod... its on your TV... and now... its on your iPhone.

Humina-humina.
  • Reply 7 of 121
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

No kidding.... I was in an Apple store the other day and watched The Incredibles on one of their display units and was shocked at the poor image quality. It wasn't even close to being "near DVD". I know that it is intended to bring your iTunes content to your tv which I'm sure it does with ease... but there is no way I would use that thing until the quality improves. As soon as Apple releases an updated version that supports true 5.1 and better picture quality - I'm there.
  • Reply 8 of 121
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wally View Post

No kidding.... I was in an Apple store the other day and watched The Incredibles on one of their display units and was shocked at the poor image quality. It wasn't even close to being "near DVD". I know that it is intended to bring your iTunes content to your tv which I'm sure it does with ease... but there is no way I would use that thing until the quality improves. As soon as Apple releases an updated version that supports true 5.1 and better picture quality - I'm there.

For every bad report about AppleTV, I can only hope they make it up in iPhone sales. @#$%&!!
  • Reply 9 of 121
    I've got an Apple TV, It's sitting in my bed room waiting around for me to buy an HDTV.
  • Reply 10 of 121
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:

I've got an Apple TV, It's sitting in my bed room waiting around for me to buy an HDTV.

Why would you do that? Mistake about the specs?
  • Reply 11 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

Why would you do that? Mistake about the specs?

I had post Macworld fever. And I didn't notice the requirement of having a widescreen TV till after I ordered it. I *could* return it, but I'm sure that I'll get an HDTV eventually anyway.
  • Reply 12 of 121
    Quote:

That must look horrible to a potential new Mac customer. I wonder how well they though this out.
  • Reply 13 of 121
    Quote:

I find it really surprising that they would show stuff at the low quality that iTunes movies are in the store. I have an AppleTV and I love it, but that's largely because I don't buy crappy quality stuff from iTunes. I either download stuff or encode it myself. Word of warning though, Quicktime's "export to appletv" process takes like an hour for an hour of video, even on my Mac Pro with 2 gigs of RAM.
  • Reply 14 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dan.blanchard View Post

I find it really surprising that they would show stuff at the low quality that iTunes movies are in the store. I have an AppleTV and I love it, but that's largely because I don't buy crappy quality stuff from iTunes. I either download stuff or encode it myself. Word of warning though, Quicktime's "export to appletv" process takes like an hour for an hour of video, even on my Mac Pro with 2 gigs of RAM.

Mac Pro... what processor?

I do the same thing, I handbrake a DVD while at work and then export to Apple TV overnight, or vice versa.
  • Reply 15 of 121
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

That's not the AppleTV's problem as much as it's the resolution of the movie itself.
  • Reply 16 of 121
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I had post Macworld fever. And I didn't notice the requirement of having a widescreen TV till after I ordered it. I *could* return it, but I'm sure that I'll get an HDTV eventually anyway.

You don't have to have an HDTV, you can use an EDTV or SDTV. You do, however, need to have at least component video and RCA stereo ports on the TV.
  • Reply 17 of 121
    Am I being overly optimistic by thinking that this commercial means there will be higher-resolution content on the iTunes Store tomorrow?
  • Reply 18 of 121
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Am I being overly optimistic by thinking that this commercial means there will be higher-resolution content on the iTunes Store tomorrow?

I don't see the connection.
  • Reply 19 of 121
    socokidsocokid Posts: 15member
    No, it's utterly Apple (and the company that does their marketing). Each addition to the line of succession is coupled with Jack adding a new instrument... it's pretends to be as simple as moving from one place to another without any effort of any kind, and puts it into a setting that the demographic would enjoy. White walls, organized, etc... dead on genius marketing, as always.
  • Reply 20 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I don't see the connection.

First AppleTV commercial to arrive while the AppleTV has been available for 2 weeks now. I'm thinking that they held off the mass emdia marketing until the HD content--and new studios--were ready to download.

Yeah, I know, I'm being overly optimistic.