web browser???

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
whats a good web browser for mac? im running camino right now, but it absolutely sucks. i've read reports of how "fast" it was. it was good in the beginning...but lately ive been getting a lot of "failed to open" messages. mozilla runs slow for me. back to safari for me????

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    You can give OmniWeb a try...I use Firefox on my MBP (just too used to it from my very recent Windows days; plus I love extensions!!), and it works just fine for me, other than being slow to startup initially.
  • Reply 2 of 49
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kritikal View Post

whats a good web browser for mac? im running camino right now, but it absolutely sucks. i've read reports of how "fast" it was. it was good in the beginning...but lately ive been getting a lot of "failed to open" messages. mozilla runs slow for me. back to safari for me????

Camino does not suck. To the contrary, it is an excellent browser. If you are having trouble with Camino, then the problem lies either with the sites that you are visiting or with your network access.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I've tried every OS X browser, I think. I use Safari.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    I'm using Firefox temporarily—I need to do a reinstall, but for some reason Safari and Preview crash instantly for me right now.

It's terrible. It's slow, widgets are ugly, it renders fonts all wrong, it can't scroll to the right spot for anchors, the pop-up blocker both doesn't work all the time and is as annoying as a pop-up itself.

Why is Firefox popular again? It's slow and bug-ridden.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    kritikalkritikal Posts: 29member
    one thing i like about safari is how you can set it to that it doesnt take up your whole screen. not the same with camino....but i like camino's bookmarking features.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    kingmekingme Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kritikal View Post

i like camino's bookmarking features.

I just picked up Camino too and like it's bookmarking features and the way it actually diplays the pages correctly. Safari seems to render things a little wonky.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiNGME View Post

... Safari seems to render things a little wonky.

With rare exception, I see no difference in how Safari and Camino render pages. Could you give a link to a page which the two browsers render differently?
  • Reply 8 of 49
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

I'm using Firefox temporarily—I need to do a reinstall, but for some reason Safari and Preview crash instantly for me right now.

It's terrible. It's slow, widgets are ugly, it renders fonts all wrong, it can't scroll to the right spot for anchors, the pop-up blocker both doesn't work all the time and is as annoying as a pop-up itself.

i haven't seen many bugs, but i really DESPISE how it takes 26 bounces in the dock to start up (first time). what a POS. Safari takes 2 at most.

I only use Firefox because I like the interface better than Safari and the ability to use Sage for RSS. Other than that, I hate it for its slow start times.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

With rare exception, I see no difference in how Safari and Camino render pages. Could you give a link to a page which the two browsers render differently?

Wikipedia. Also, http://www.zeldman.com/2006/11/27/safari-beats-firefox/
  • Reply 10 of 49
    Quote:

Wikipedia. Also, http://www.zeldman.com/2006/11/27/safari-beats-firefox/

I asked for a link to an actual page which displayed the problem, not one about users kwvetching about the problem. This page displays great--even Eastern scripts--on my installations of Camino and Safari.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    Quote:

I asked for a link to an actual page which displayed the problem, not one about users kwvetching about the problem. This page displays great--even Eastern scripts--on my installations of Camino and Safari.

Have you seriously never been to Wikipedia?

Additionally, isn't one "kwvetching" about the problem more helpful then you poking through for all the mistakes yourself?
  • Reply 12 of 49
    kingmekingme Posts: 70member
    Quote:

Try http://www.packaging.com in Foxfire (XP), IE (XP) and Camino. All the same. Then use Safari. Rubbish.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    my dog kwvetched on the couch but it wasn't as bad as this thread.
  • Reply 14 of 49
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Quote:

I personally don't find it slow at all, start-up notwithstanding.

Extensions: Adblock Plus, greasemonkey, Web Developer toolbar, etc etc.

RSS: My RSS feeds in my toolbar, when clicked, show a list of descending recent headlines. I can tell at a glance what stories I want to read, and the link, when clicked, takes me to the article's page. Contrast this with Safari's ghetto approach to RSS.

There are other reasons, but these two are the deal-clinchers for me.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I've tried every OS X browser, I think. I use Safari.

Same here. I kept going back to Firefox now and again because people just kept raving on and on about it but I found it to be less stable, slow to launch and didn't really offer any benefits for me over Safari. Sure, I could install some add-ons but I rarely used them and they weren't all compatible with each other.

Some little things about Safari that are overlooked are things like the animated icon on files that has the progress bar in it so I don't have to even go into Safari to see how much is left to go. Other browsers display downloads as the file type, so often I've seen people trying to open files before they finish and get an error.

Being able to properly resume files in Safari too is great. If the downloads could load as a tab it would be even better but I am very pleased with the download management.

Then there's webarchives - no more of Firefox's saving a .html and a folder, it's all neat in one file so I can move it without losing the content.

Since Camino is based on the same engine as Firefox, I consider them both very similar.

I've tried Opera, Omniweb, Firefox, Camino, Shiira and I kept coming back to Safari.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    Quote:

Try http://www.packaging.com in Foxfire (XP), IE (XP) and Camino. All the same. Then use Safari. Rubbish.

i've went to www.packaging.com with both safari and firefox (OSX) and didnt really see any big differences.
  • Reply 17 of 49
    oh yea...i sometimes go back to firefox only for the reason that few websites, well actually one....namely my school website where i gol to register for classes, arent compatible with safari.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    firefox. for numerous reasons that have been beaten to death in other threads on this site.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    Quote:

Have you seriously never been to Wikipedia?

This might come as a surprise to you, but Wikipedia is not an authority. Don't believe me? Turn in a paper to a professor using the website as a reference.

Quote:

Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt. What I didn't get was any visible difference between Camino's and Safari's rendering of the page. Try again?
  • Reply 20 of 49
    Quote:

This might come as a surprise to you, but Wikipedia is not an authority. Don't believe me? Turn in a paper to a professor using the website as a reference.

I'm sorry, but, are you really this dense? Wikipedia is an example of a website that, try as it might, Firefox just doesn't have the capacity to render properly.