Mail help...Emergency!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
My Mail App is acting very strange, as if it has a virus? I'm not sure what is causing it but it keeps erasing all of my mail! I have no idea what is going on. I just got back from class and I had seven new messages, each with its little blue dot. I clicked on 'Inbox' to check for more messages and they new ones just disappear! I thought this had been happening for the last day, but i didnt have proof until right now. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Can anyone help? I can explain it in more detail if i have too. i havent been able to send messages either.

Please help!

kcd

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    First of all go to your preferences and turn of the option to delete messages from your server so you don't loose any data.

Second, did you look into your Junk mail folder? maybe they were moved there.

Third, have you any rules applied that move some messages somewhere?

Please give us some more info. I have never lost mail messages, and I'm using it for a few years now, so this whole thing sounds strange..
  • Reply 2 of 5
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Are you using any third party anti spam apps eg: spam sieve or alike?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I had this problem once, it appeared to be deleting my entire Inbox, in actual fact it wasn't. It may not be the same as your problem, but, from the top of my head, here's a description:

The mailboxes in the left panel were showing a partially filled circle beside one of them. Clicking on it did nothing, so I just tried to Sync mailboxes. The next thing I knew my entire Inbox was empty.

One of my mailboxes was not connecting properly and it threw everything out of line. By Force Quitting and re-opening, (a regular Quit wasn't happening) then waiting for the mailbox to 'sort itself out' in it's own time (connect to the server and confirm new mail etc.) I eventually found that everything had 'returned' to my Inbox.

To summarise:

Mail might not be connecting to the server properly. Try Quitting (Force Quitting) and rebooting Mail, leave it to sort connect. If it won't connect/resolve it's issues with the server, then maybe someone else can help with that, it's not really my bag.

Not even a slightly technical response, but it may help.

Oh, and follow ex-pc-user's advice if you haven't already, you should always have that enabled.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcdstudios View Post

My Mail App is acting very strange, as if it has a virus? I'm not sure what is causing it but it keeps erasing all of my mail! I have no idea what is going on. I just got back from class and I had seven new messages, each with its little blue dot. I clicked on 'Inbox' to check for more messages and they new ones just disappear! I thought this had been happening for the last day, but i didnt have proof until right now. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Can anyone help? I can explain it in more detail if i have too. i havent been able to send messages either.

Please help!

kcd

Look at your monitor with a serious face, smack it once and say "nnnnno!, bad computer, we do that never, now show me my emails."

If that doesn't work sh!t idk, call apple and tell them you work for the government and you have highly classified emails sent to you all the time and you need to retrieve them before the aliens escape from area 51 and everyone dies. I'm sure they'll help out.

wow I'm in a weird mood today lol...sorry you lost your emails, hopefully a laugh will help the situation a little bit.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Your com.apple.mail.plist file in your Home/Library/Preferences may have become corrupted.

Also check here and see what is there Home/Library/Mail/ There will be a folder with your mail account name and some more folders inside your emails should be in there if they are you haven't lost them mail has some sort of issue.

What if anything happen before they disappeared? eg. did mail open differently, do you have any third party addons (Unsanity Ape and alike)