Citigroup weighs in on Leopard, 3G iPhone, and new iPod nanos

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The delay to Mac Pro was about two months after the C2D-based Xeons were supposedly made available.

And about two months BEFORE the 3 GHz C2D-based Xeons will become available.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

While I don't think anything about the Clovertown delay applies to the notebook platforms, keep in mind that Apple took a month or two to get Core2Duo into their notebook systems after C2D notebooks were announced. The delay to Mac Pro was about two months after the C2D-based Xeons were supposedly made available.

I refered to Cloverton because we don't know if Apple and Intel have something planned as they had there. If so, it could delay an intro.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

isn't it EFI already in the intel macs?

I think he/she meant to question how this would affect OEMs whose machines run Windows.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    charkocharko Posts: 84member
    It seems Apple's best-selling desktop was not mentioned - the iMac.

I believe there's going to be a new, redesigned iMac and it's going to be a big hit.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    The movie is apple_tv-house_848x496.mov

That is NOT the true HD, which is 1080p at1920x1080 pixels instead of 848x496 pixels!!!
  • Reply 26 of 38
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

The movie is apple_tv-house_848x496.mov

That is NOT the true HD, which is 1080p at1920x1080 pixels instead of 848x496 pixels!!!

496p is indeed in the range of EDTV, not HDTV. However, true HDTV starts at 720p (1280x720), not at 1080p.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They better release only a 3G version in Europe.

I'd consider a 3G phone the day there is an operator that can offer me data transfer at a set monthly fee. Not charge per MB. I know this is just about happening this year, but still: until it happens I have no interest in 3G, and I think an Edge iPhone with wifi is good enough.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

And about two months BEFORE the 3 GHz C2D-based Xeons will become available.

Yes, by completely abandoning the first rev of that part and using a revision that's reminiscent of a Netburst Pentium D in power consumption.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    dean812dean812 Posts: 32member
    God I love all things Apple! How do they do it?! Such amazing products! iPhone is gonna be great, I can hardly wait!
  • Reply 30 of 38
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    The "True video iPod" rumors are getting as old as the g5 laptop.

The iPhone is not a video iPod. Its a phone that plays video.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freeny View Post

The "True video iPod" rumors are getting as old as the g5 laptop.

The iPhone is not a video iPod. Its a phone that plays video.

I must have missed the comment that claimed otherwise.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheNipponese View Post

Agreed. Making an EDGE device was really pretty bad on their part. Not only are they blocking out most of Europe and ALL of Japan, but the data comm is already obsolete by US smart-phone standards. It's a good thing most of the US public is too stupid to know the advantages of 3G over EDGE.

On the other hand, Cingular's marketing has done amazing job at obscuring the difference.

There isn't enough 3G coverage in the US to release a phone in iPod quantities because it wont work half the time in 75% of the US. Wifi spots are far more abundant than 3G signals. It's a simple matter of making a product that people can actually use.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    What is this supposed to mean as far as the Macbook Pro goes?

"we expect a newly redesigned MacBook Pro in the Fall, new iterations of all Apple laptops featuring Intel’s new Santa Rosa platform in the Summer or early Fall, and perhaps an ultra-portable laptop at some point this year."

Is this supposed to mean that an updated Santa Rosa Macbook Pro will debute in the Summer? And 3 months later a redesigned Macbook Pro will debute in the Fall?

This article was very poorly written I must say.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TonyD007 View Post

"we expect a newly redesigned MacBook Pro in the Fall, new iterations of all Apple laptops featuring Intel’s new Santa Rosa platform in the Summer or early Fall, and perhaps an ultra-portable laptop at some point this year."

Is this supposed to mean that an updated Santa Rosa Macbook Pro will debute in the Summer? And 3 months later a redesigned Macbook Pro will debute in the Fall?

What it means is that some guy that works for an investor group is speculating (guessing). He knows nothing for certain other than Apple is (obviously going to be) releasing new products, and their stock price will climb as it gets closer. Investors predictions are rarely right on, and neither are ours. We have better luck with our guessing in here than they do though.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

We have better luck with our guessing in here than they do though.

May I suggest the Apple Insider Analyst Group (AIAG)?
  • Reply 36 of 38
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TonyD007 View Post

"we expect a newly redesigned MacBook Pro in the Fall, new iterations of all Apple laptops featuring Intel?s new Santa Rosa platform in the Summer or early Fall, and perhaps an ultra-portable laptop at some point this year."

I think what he meant is that he expects both MacBook Pro and non-pro will get Santa-Rosa at the same time, in summer or early autumn; and that then a redesigned (i.e. new/updated form-factor, L.E.D. backlighting etc.) MacBook Pro will appear after than in the autumn.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I think what he meant is that he expects both MacBook Pro and non-pro will get Santa-Rosa at the same time, in summer or early autumn; and that then a redesigned (i.e. new/updated form-factor, L.E.D. backlighting etc.) MacBook Pro will appear after than in the autumn.

Right. It makes no sense for Apple to come out with new machines with (now) old chips and controllers. After all, what could they do, realistically, that would make these machines so compelling that would make it worthwhile to re-tool the manufacturing lines, and the costs that entails, for what, three, four, months production?

Santa Rosa, at least, would make the new machines desireable from a performance and power draw consideration.

And then, there is 45 nm coming up later this year as well, with both desktop and mobile versions.

Then first half of next year, Intel makes MAJOR revisions to its lines.

How many new versions can Apple come up with during this huge time of transitions? Maybe two?
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They better release only a 3G version in Europe.

What if 3G was already planned and Apple will activate this with a software revision. Apple has done this before. Maybe, they will charge $2.99 for it.