MGM flicks arrive on Apple's iTunes Store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I thought Netflix mailed you the movie on DVD and you mailed it back. I didn't know or could find on their web site anything about downloading. I would appreciate it if you could provide me the link.

Netflix is mostly a mail-rental, but they have been experimenting with streaming.

http://www.netflix.com/MediaCenter?id=5384

A.K.A Watch Now.
  • Reply 42 of 82
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    My ramblings...

Exactly what would Mad Max look like it 1080i? What about Rambo? Hell, Star Wars? Will we ever really know? Are the studios taking these reels out and re-encoding them at the higher resolution? Does best buy stock them? If not, what, exactly, is all of the bitching about...the new shit?

Genuine HD movies are a low percentage of the total retail movie market. TV Shows, of course, have a higher percentage, but still way down there in comparison. Current movies look fine on AppleTV, as long as they are encoded properly.
  • Reply 43 of 82
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Yeah. How about that. And what about iPhoto, iMovie HD, Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro, Shake, Aperture, and QuickTime 7 that Apple has introduced to compile, produce and edit HD quality videos, pics, etc.? What the hell was that for?

That's like shipping a games console with no games but here's a nice SDK for you to write your own.
  • Reply 44 of 82
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Netflix is mostly a mail-rental, but they have been experimenting with streaming.

Trust me. I knew that. And also HD is not working. No one is doing it yet. Too expensive. Too big. To slow. And virtually, no content, or at least not enough yet to pay the piper.
  • Reply 45 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

That's like shipping a games console with no games but here's a nice SDK for you to write your own.

Imagine. I had the gall not to think of that.
  • Reply 46 of 82
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:

Trust me. I knew that. And also HD is not working. No one is doing it yet. Too expensive. Too big. To slow. And virtually, no content, or at least not enough yet to pay the piper.

Xbox live marketplace offers high definition on pretty much their entire selection of movies, as well as a most of their TV show content. And it's not too big or too slow, really. The fact that it's a rental means you don't really need to store 100 movies on your hard drive anyways.
  • Reply 47 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueDjinn View Post

FWIW, I've compiled virtually every significant milestone since the release of the original iTunes 1.0:

http://www.systemshootouts.org/ipod_itunes_sales.html

Also click the "iPod Sales" and "iTunes Sales" links at the top for line graphs of each.

thats a brilliant bit of work! well done

ive bookmarked it thanks
  • Reply 48 of 82
    Quote:

I thought Netflix mailed you the movie on DVD and you mailed it back. I didn't know or could find on their web site anything about downloading. I would appreciate it if you could provide me the link.

Thank you

Netflix recently started their "Watch Now" service: "To watch instantly, you need a computer with the following configuration:

Minimum Requirements

* Computer running Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or higher, or Windows Vista

* Internet Explorer version 6 or higher

* Windows Media Player version 9 or higher

* An active broadband connection to the Internet

* 1.0 GHz processor

* 512 MB RAM

* 3 GB free hard disk drive space

Recommended in addition to minimum requirements

* An active broadband Internet connection of at least 1.5 Mbps

* 1.5 GHz processor

* 1 GB RAM"

If you subscribe to Netflix, each month you get the number of hours equal to your payment plan (e.g. $17.95 per month subscription gets you 17.95 hours of watching movies on your PC in addition to the 3 movies at home on DVD).
  • Reply 49 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

2/3rds the pixels is about 82% of the linear resolution, which is really what your eye picks up, and so I think the label is fair. OTOH I still wouldn't be 'happy' with 24,000 instead of 30,000 but of course I would read the fine print first.

IF you could read it... assumeing its within that 82% - har har har
  • Reply 50 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsflewelling View Post

Netflix recently started their "Watch Now" service: "To watch instantly, you need a computer with the following configuration:

Minimum Requirements

* Computer running Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or higher, or Windows Vista

* Internet Explorer version 6 or higher

* Windows Media Player version 9 or higher

* An active broadband connection to the Internet

* 1.0 GHz processor

* 512 MB RAM

* 3 GB free hard disk drive space

Recommended in addition to minimum requirements

* An active broadband Internet connection of at least 1.5 Mbps

* 1.5 GHz processor

* 1 GB RAM"

If you subscribe to Netflix, each month you get the number of hours equal to your payment plan (e.g. $17.95 per month subscription gets you 17.95 hours of watching movies on your PC in addition to the 3 movies at home on DVD).

Can you give me the link to the Watch Now service?
  • Reply 51 of 82
    well we here in Canada have to wait too long as well

so for now P2P will help me out

However as soon as apple make available the movies and other flick for we the canadians i would stop dload P2P movies

i really wanna go legal (i hate the buying CD/DVD crap one click and i have the movies to watch almost instantaneously.

make it legal and ppl like me would go legal

come on apple Canada is drolling
  • Reply 52 of 82
    Quote:

Can you give me the link to the Watch Now service?

Google it. I found this description (with screen shot) of the service: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ente...now-240649.php
  • Reply 53 of 82
    By the way, the collection of movies available so far is pretty lousy.
  • Reply 54 of 82
    shookstershookster Posts: 113member
    Quote:

Let me know when HD, DRM-free movies are available.

HD will come, but if you're waiting for DRM-free movies, you're going to be waiting a long time, most likely forever. The only reason why EMI's library is DRM-free is because when EMI sells a CD, it's also DRM-free and most people rip it to their computer anyway, so at the end of the day it's all the same. It's great marketing for them though.

DVDs however, have ALWAYS had some form of DRM. Ok, people managed to bypass it but it was still there, and for this reason, I don't think DRM-free movies (at least from major studios) will exist in the near future. In fact, they toughened up DRM for the HD-DVD / Blu-ray specs, so DRM will probably get tougher, not more relaxed in the future.
  • Reply 55 of 82
    Quote:

Yeah. How about that. And what about iPhoto, iMovie HD, Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro, Shake, Aperture, and QuickTime 7 that Apple has introduced to compile, produce and edit HD quality videos, pics, etc.? What the hell was that for?

Why in the world would anybody want to take all that hard, exhausting, expensive, time-consuming effort and post it on a big screen where anybodyelse could have a look at it? Big, beautiful, yes, high definition pictures taken by that new digital SLR and HD video camera that you just had to have before mom and dad's 25th wedding anniversary party.

Who cares if you are the only person that has seen your mom and dad's anniversary video since the party?

Nah. Just leave it where it was created in the first place. On your HD video camera. Or if you remember to it on your PC, so a couple of other people could cram behind to see it.

Yep. Apple certainly has gall. Imagine to think that anybody would want to share anything that they had only seen on their own computer. Let them get their own. Such narrow mindedness!

Right, because clearly someone who can afford to shell out $1300 for Final Cut Studio is going to be editing their parents' anniversary party footage. Or the $500 for Shake. Or the $300 for Aperture. Yep, that's what I'd be doing with $2100 worth of professional grade software.

What the hell is that software for as you so Shakespeareanly put it? Not for the average user to be editing video and pictures with. iPhoto and iMovie, yes, but not the others in your list.
  • Reply 56 of 82
    bitmanbitman Posts: 14member
    The Washington Post now has HD (720p) news features on iTunes:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...dcastfront.htm
  • Reply 57 of 82
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Right, because clearly someone who can afford to shell out $1300 for Final Cut Studio is going to be editing their parents' anniversary party footage. Or the $500 for Shake. Or the $300 for Aperture. Yep, that's what I'd be doing with $2100 worth of professional grade software.

What the hell is that software for as you so Shakespeareanly put it? Not for the average user to be editing video and pictures with. iPhoto and iMovie, yes, but not the others in your list.

Yes, but from what I see (previous poster included) there are already appearing some very nice FREE HD video podcasts. I imagine these are using all of this software (or a good part).

I haven't subscribed to these before but WOW how easy and pain free to get the on the AppleTV. Just subscribe and there they are and automatically updated when new content available.
  • Reply 58 of 82
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

People are supposed to buy an Apple TV to watch barely SD programming? All this stuff is so 2-3 years ago. Much of this stuff is in the bargain bin for $7, better resolution, no DRM, doesn't waste disk space or require a computer to play back.

DVDs don't have DRM? Did you really say that? Of course they do. Their DRM is that you can't watch the movie except if you have the DVD. You can break the DRM by using Handbrake or Mac the Ripper, but that just like saying iTMS music doesn't have DRM because you can burn it to a CD.

DVDs have some advantages over iTMS movies, but iTMS movies also have an advantage over DVD movies. I've got a movie on my laptop that's also on my tower at home, and it's also on my iPod. I can watch this movie wherever I am. I didn't have to go through a too-lengthy process of ripping the thing, either.

And "All this stuff is so 2-3 years ago"?? That's pretty rich coming from somebody shopping in the $7 bargain bin for movies (Jackie Chan still looks pretty young in your collection, doesn't he?). Who was letting you download movies 2-3 years ago, so that you now can claim you're jaded? In 2004 and 2005, who was letting you download movies, which you then put on you iPod, on your computer, or streamed to your TV?

The iTMS movies are just an option. You don't have to take that option. You can always buy yourself a DVD. But there are people who have iTMS movies on their computer, plus a bunch of other videos they've put in there from other sources, and the Apple TV is a convenient way for them to stream them to their TV. Don't get so objectionable about it, just because you prefer the $7 bargain bin and Walmart.
  • Reply 59 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

People are supposed to buy an Apple TV to watch barely SD programming? All this stuff is so 2-3 years ago. Much of this stuff is in the bargain bin for $7, better resolution, no DRM, doesn't waste disk space or require a computer to play back.

I think being able to avoid 5 minutes trying to open all that packaging and security tape on each CD and DVD alone is worth using iTunes. But to each his own.
  • Reply 60 of 82
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

DVDs don't have DRM? Did you really say that? Of course they do.

They have copy protection, but not DRM. Beyond "you can't copy unless you decrypt", they don't define any rules, such as "you can only watch on x devices for y days".