ANOTHER 23" ACD goes back to the shop...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
...how hard can it be for Apple to manufacture a 23"er with an even backlight?

Jeez.

I'm sick of taking these bloody things back to the dealer for a refund/swap.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    And the replacement's even worse!

Seven stuck pixels, an uneven backlight, yellow cast top centre and a swathe of yellow cast right across the screen.

WTF?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

And the replacement's even worse!

Seven stuck pixels, an uneven backlight, yellow cast top centre and a swathe of yellow cast right across the screen.

WTF?

buy a dell display. they are pretty consistently good, albeit ugly.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    It might just come to that.

I'm wondering if Apple are using a super-cheapo panel?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    tekmatetekmate Posts: 134member
    I like the Dells myself people here can yell at me but Apple displays are not worth the money in my book.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Wait for that new LED-backlit display coming from Samsung... won't be cheap, but at least it's supposed to have an even backlight

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/11/s...lcd-for-vista/
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Well every other Apple display that I've used recently has been fine.

My 30"er has been flawless (apart from the dancing pixels routine), the seven 20"ers in the studio that I've been working in lately have been fine, my MacBook and MacBook Pros (and the PowerBook before that) have been fine as have the various iMacs that I use.

I haven't seen a dead pixel on a display for years, and I've never seen backlights that have been so uneven ? what's the problem with the 23"er?

I'm taking this latest one back today as well (John Lewis have been great so far). Sooner or later either John Lewis will refuse to sell me another display or I'll just give up and buy an alternative product.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    You're lucky to have such a good dealer, but it sounds like you've dropped some serious coin there.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

buy a dell display. they are pretty consistently good, albeit ugly.

Really? I can get an S-IPS panel-based display from Dell?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TekMate View Post

I like the Dells myself people here can yell at me but Apple displays are not worth the money in my book.

As Chucker says, for the technology in an Apple display, they aren't that badly priced. Here's a AS-IPS display from NEC:

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/P...4-bd7f0b7e6ece

$1500 compared to just $900 for Apple's 23".

I always wondered why I saw Apple displays in the footage you get in DVD extras showing the film studios. They even use the Apple displays with PCs.

I still go for CRT no matter what people say. Although I'd need a small crane to lift it, I can get a 20" CRT for next to nothing these days and I get better quality than the high end flat panel screens.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Yeah, John Lewis are good and I'd recommend them to anyone in the UK thinking about purchasing any Mac hardware. I use them exclusively now, because they carry the full range and they have a no questions asked 30 day money back guarantee. The don't offer interest free deals like most of the other dealers, but Mac hardware is so touch-and-go these days that I wouldn't buy any Apple product from a dealer that didn't offer the 30 day service.

So I got ANOTHER 23"er today, and it looks like the backlight is even and there aren't any dead pixels either ? which is nice. I'm just trying my hardest to not look at the chunk out of the aluminium enclosure where the person that built this display knocked their watch of it.

Kind of past caring now... all these bad Apple experiences are starting to bleed in to one...
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Funny, the local dealers (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) all seem to balk at the idea of a implementing a satisfaction warranty. Even the largest Mac dealers here don't have it, only the chain stores.

I couldn't imagine having to go through what you've gone through with Apple directly, instead of at a dealer level. I'd probably never buy another Apple product again.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Yeah, if I'd bought it from PC World, I would have had some spotty Vista fanboy telling me that the backlight looked even enough under the shopfloors bright fluorescent lighting, and then telling me to piss off.

John Lewis will be getting my business again when the time comes to purchase another Mac Pro.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    So much for the acclaimed Apple quality control. I don't understand how a run like this can happen when Apple supposedly only uses the best panels available. I guess either they don't care about the 23" model or it's just a cursed model.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

So much for the acclaimed Apple quality control. I don't understand how a run like this can happen when Apple supposedly only uses the best panels available. I guess either they don't care about the 23" model or it's just a cursed model.

Sorry to be a pain, but my 23" has been perfect, with no complaints and heavy use, running off a variety of CPUs.