4 Days - NAB predictions.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
OK, I'll throw in my best guesses.

Nvidia cards.

Final Cut Studio update.

Thats my conservative prediction. You just can't go wrong with a prediction like that.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 98
    jaddiejaddie Posts: 110member
    Dear onlooker

Don't you also expect to hear more Leopard news, including features and a more specific release date?

Also, wouldn't you expect to hear something about iMovie HD?

I plan to order a new workstation right after the special event.

Sincerely,

Jaddie
  • Reply 2 of 98
    I hope for a new iMac, maybe a new design or at least new specs. Also something about Leopard and iLife/iWork.
  • Reply 3 of 98
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    definitely new cinema displays with hdmi, possibly displayport and isight.

how's that for rampant speculation?
  • Reply 4 of 98
    Traditionally, the NAB-events have been fairly low key and limited to pro-level , video-related announcements. Also, the keynotes were never given by Steve himself (but by Phil Schiller).

Steve wouldn´t let someone else announce leopard details, i think he would want to do that himself. Expect that at a seperate "steve-event" between now and june or wwdc at the latest.

So, I predict the usual pro stuff:

- Update to FinalCut and all the pro-video apps

- BluRay-related hardware-anouncements (BluRay BTO MacPro-option)

- Perhaps announcement of "Phenomenon" (Shake-succesor)

- long shot: updated MBPs or Cinema Displays
  • Reply 5 of 98
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I predict lots of whining. It might even include me.
  • Reply 6 of 98
    donebyleedonebylee Posts: 521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I predict lots of whining. It might even include me.

Agreed.
  • Reply 7 of 98
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I can't imagine we'll hear any Leopard news at the National Association of Broadcasters event this Sunday. I know, I know. It would be nice to know what those "Top Secret" features are. But this conference isn't really the venue for it. Most broadcasters will want to focus on their core set of tools ? Final Cut Pro/Mac Pro/graphics cards.
  • Reply 8 of 98
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    I actually think, if other RUMORS are presumed to be true, that Apple may be in a bit of a 'pickle' with NAB announcements...

Presume for a moment that Leopard holds secrets, and that those secrets are (as suspected) related to the use of Core Animation and UI. Extend that and presume that there are indeed iPod/AppleTV/iPhone elements of Leopard related to creating a consistent eco-system of Apple products.

Given the fact that you haven't shown any of these things yet, can you launch an updated FINAL CUT PRO, including a slightly modified UI; use of Core Animation and Core Video, ease of export (a single click to export to HD Apple TV; iPod (widescreen) and iPhone, tie in to Time Machine for retrieval of deleted footage, and perhaps leverage of new hardware?

Can you really show off your stuff without revealing your hand as it relates to the new OS, your 'accessory' products, and new hardware?

I'll answer my own question and say 'yes', by focusing on the basic enhancements to the product (extensive updates to Motion etc.) that come with every new revision and only hinting at the way it will leverage Leopard technology. The downside of this is that everyone is likely to leave a bit 'underwhelmed', complaining that the new stuff is more minor evolution than dramatic step forward.

What to do if you're Apple?
  • Reply 9 of 98
    donebyleedonebylee Posts: 521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sport73 View Post

What to do if you're Apple?

I think you punt.

You unveil underwhelming hardware updates such as new graphics cards for the Mac Pro. You insinuate that Leopard will really, really, really add something cool but that you're not allowed to talk about it yet.

And promise great new apps sometime between now and later.

I think Apple is "in a pickle" as you put it and I don't think they get out of it until Leopard is released.
  • Reply 10 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

OK, I'll throw in my best guesses.

Nvidia cards.

Final Cut Studio update.

Thats my conservative prediction. You just can't go wrong with a prediction like that.

Does anyone have any thoughts/clues?

Did Apple treat NAB invite same way last year - i.e. did not advise who the presenter was until show time?

Thanks!
  • Reply 11 of 98
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Here's what I see happening and the reasons why.

Final Cut Studio 2 announced. -

Final Cut Pro 6- MAJOR update. Now handles multiple codecs/resolutions in the timeline, Multi-cam beefed up. More support for Panny Codecs(AVC-Intra) , Vector based material, Aperture, AVCHD and more. Improved MXF support. Background rendering and improved media management

Compressor 3- Much improved compressing performance. Added support for VC-1 encoding and more controls. Improved Batch and distributed encoding.

DVD Studio Pro 5- Added support for HDi authoring for HD DVD. Add Blu-ray encode and BD-Java authoring support.

Motion 3- - Z Axis and speed improvements.

Soundtrack Pro 2- More sound restoration features. Better AU support

Final Cut Studio Extreme

Adds Shake 4.5, Artbox asset management, Logic Pro 8 and Final Touch HD to the above.

$7995

Apple seeds the next Leopard release just before the show and demos all apps running on a Leopard build. Apple announces that G80 Nvidia product will be available for order with Leopard's shipment. Apple also announces new Cinema Displays will be available at that time with HDCP support and that HD DVD and Blu-ray burning options will be available there as well.

Logic Pro 8 is announced and demoed. It now is peer application in a FCS workflow with excellent roundtrip functionality and is bundled in FCS Extreme.
  • Reply 12 of 98
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I believe that NAB will be close enough to Leopard's release that the secrets can finally be released to the public - with a FULL version landing in the hands of current testers that same day.

Let's face it, there is no way that MS is going to out any of the secret features into

Vista any time soon - they are too tied up getting the bugs out of Vista. Now is the time to get the final beta testing done on the full version so it's time for Steve J to give another Keynote.
  • Reply 13 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Here's what I see happening and the reasons why.

Final Cut Studio 2 announced. -

Final Cut Pro 6- MAJOR update. Now handles multiple codecs/resolutions in the timeline, Multi-cam beefed up. More support for Panny Codecs(AVC-Intra) , Vector based material, Aperture, AVCHD and more. Improved MXF support. Background rendering and improved media management

Compressor 3- Much improved compressing performance. Added support for VC-1 encoding and more controls. Improved Batch and distributed encoding.

DVD Studio Pro 5- Added support for HDi authoring for HD DVD. Add Blu-ray encode and BD-Java authoring support.

Motion 3- - Z Axis and speed improvements.

Soundtrack Pro 2- More sound restoration features. Better AU support

Final Cut Studio Extreme

Adds Shake 4.5, Artbox asset management, Logic Pro 8 and Final Touch HD to the above.

$7995

Apple seeds the next Leopard release just before the show and demos all apps running on a Leopard build. Apple announces that G80 Nvidia product will be available for order with Leopard's shipment. Apple also announces new Cinema Displays will be available at that time with HDCP support and that HD DVD and Blu-ray burning options will be available there as well.

Logic Pro 8 is announced and demoed. It now is peer application in a FCS workflow with excellent roundtrip functionality and is bundled in FCS Extreme.

Any ideas on who the presenter will be?
  • Reply 14 of 98
    Don't forget the recent drop in price for all of the monitors. Apple might release LED LCD's. Considering the underwhelming selection of GPU's currently offered, I'd hope they'd include some of the newer NVidia offerings.

The presenter for Apple at NAB will be a good indicator as to what we can expect. I doubt Steve will bother with it if it's nothing substantial.

I also predict my purchasing a new Mac Pro.
  • Reply 15 of 98
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

I believe that NAB will be close enough to Leopard's release that the secrets can finally be released to the public - with a FULL version landing in the hands of current testers that same day.

Let's face it, there is no way that MS is going to out any of the secret features into

Vista any time soon - they are too tied up getting the bugs out of Vista. Now is the time to get the final beta testing done on the full version so it's time for Steve J to give another Keynote.

AGREED. Enough of this secrecy already!
  • Reply 16 of 98
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ashraman View Post

Any ideas on who the presenter will be?

Wish I knew. Probably some stud with Final Cut Pro like Randy Ubillos or something.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

Don't forget the recent drop in price for all of the monitors. Apple might release LED LCD's. Considering the underwhelming selection of GPU's currently offered, I'd hope they'd include some of the newer NVidia offerings.

The presenter for Apple at NAB will be a good indicator as to what we can expect. I doubt Steve will bother with it if it's nothing substantial.

I predict that you'll be happier than a pig in mud with a new Mac Pro and updated Final Cut stuff. Hey Brian what camera are you recording HD in? I hope you got some great footage at the Arboretum.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention one thing. My "out of left field" predition is this. Apple will announce a FW based control surface that offers a multiplicity of features.

It'll have 8-16 100mm "flying faders" and knobs for mixing in Logic Pro and FCS. It'll have transport controls that work in Logic Pro and FCS as well. Plus...it'll have control features for doing color correction. This device will offer a nice blend of tactile control and software based control. It may even have built in metering or the option for it.

That's my WAG or rather dream.

Think in terms of an audio mixing control surface with this integrated

Another cool feature would be if the control "spheres" could double duty for surround-sound panning. Grab a sphere and move a sound around in 3D space (OpenAL).
  • Reply 17 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

- Best prediction I have seen yet on the boards!

" I also predict my purchasing a new Mac Pro.[/QUOTE]"

Any thoughts on Fed and interest rates while you are at it?

Seriously though, I hope your prediction comes true....
  • Reply 18 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Wish I knew. Probably some stud with Final Cut Pro like Randy Ubillos or something.

I predict that you'll be happier than a pig in mud with a new Mac Pro and updated Final Cut stuff. Hey Brian what camera are you recording HD in? I hope you got some great footage at the Arboretum.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention one thing. My "out of left field" predition is this. Apple will announce a FW based control surface that offers a multiplicity of features.

It'll have 8-16 100mm "flying faders" and knobs for mixing in Logic Pro and FCS. It'll have transport controls that work in Logic Pro and FCS as well. Plus...it'll have control features for doing color correction. This device will offer a nice blend of tactile control and software based control. It may even have built in metering or the option for it.

That's my WAG or rather dream.

Think in terms of an audio mixing control surface with this integrated

Another cool feature would be if the control "spheres" could double duty for surround-sound panning. Grab a sphere and move a sound around in 3D space (OpenAL).

hmurchison, I shoot with a Sony HDR-HC1 and I have to admit, I couldn't be more pleased with the results. The colors look great and the clarity is all that I'd hoped for in a reasonably priced High Definition camcorder. Now if only I could have kept my two brothers from talking during filming! I'll head out to La Push soon and get some footage of the rock formations out there. It'll be cool. I just bought 12GB of RAM and two 750GB HD's for the Mac Pro in my immediate future from OWC. I'll use the HD it comes with as the third drive just for Time Machine in Leopard.

As for your prediction, I think it's a great idea. Might that account for the "Asteroid" rumor that has thus far been vaporware?
  • Reply 19 of 98
    Heres 2 Lists

Conservative Guess (Hardware Wise)

- New Graphics Options in Mac Pro's

- New Cinema Displays

Hopefull/ Very Optimistic Prediction

The above plus

- BTO Blu-Ray Drive for Mac Pro

- Redesigned iMacs (Although I think these will more than likely be unveiled at WWDC)

- 2GB of RAM as Standard in Mac Pro's

- New Ultraportable
  • Reply 20 of 98
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superlatic_uk View Post

Heres 2 Lists

Conservative Guess (Hardware Wise)

- New Graphics Options in Mac Pro's

- New Cinema Displays

Hopefull/ Very Optimistic Prediction

The above plus

- BTO Blu-Ray Drive for Mac Pro

- Redesigned iMacs (Although I think these will more than likely be unveiled at WWDC)

- 2GB of RAM as Standard in Mac Pro's

- New Ultraportable

It doesn't make sense to introduce new options in Mac Pros just 2 weeks after they introduced new options in Mac Pros. It'll piss off everyone who jumped on the 8-core computers a week ago, and cause a lot of computers to be sent back... Also, reducing the price of cinema displays just before release a new line doesn't make much sense either. In the past, Apple has just put old product lines in the sale section of the store, not left them in the main store with new prices.

Nothing else you have listed makes sense at this event... 2 GB standard in Mac Pros would raise the base price, which is important when Apple promoters say that Mac Pro costs less than a Dell, the New Ultraportable isn't going to happen, and iMacs won't be unveiled at a conference geared to professionals.

Sorry if that bursts any bubbles. Final Cut Pro should be updated, but my money's on a lame-ass speech about what will be new when it comes out in August, kind of like they did with ATv and iPhone and Leopard... They want to wait for 99.99% compatability with things like Photoshop, Leopard, etc...

BTW, when Final Cut is released, they will also release Final Cut Express, which will replace iMovie and other equivalents and maybe come free with certain systems. Apple's made a lot of money on Garage Band users moving up to Logic Express (which a low percentage really need) and Logic Express users moving to Logic Pro (which very few need), and it's a good way to sell the product to prosumers and wannabes with too much money. I also expect Logic Express to become more user friendly and replace garageband... None of this will happen until Leopard, though, as they will all add to the hype, and help prevent any disappointments when Leopard does not include definite proof of who shot J.R...