Apple delays Leopard release until October

Comments

• Reply 161 of 504
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sausage&Onion View Post

ALSO! One disc can be used on ALL your computers!!! The upgrade cost is about 25 per comp if you are replacing 5 macs!

And if you just go into an Apple Store and steal it off the shelf, it costs $0 per Mac!!!!

You are meant to buy one copy per Mac you wish to upgrade. For families, there is the 5-pack for $199 (a fantastic deal).
  • Reply 162 of 504
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Great news. I'll be picking up another handful after the short-sellers irrationally knock AAPL down... hope it drops to around 65 to 70!... if it does, probably buy another 10-20 thousand worth.

You're a smart guy, Spam old chap!
  • Reply 163 of 504
    lucinalucina Posts: 3member
    Face it. It's Apple, not Apple Computer anymore.

OS will come in second because of the loyal customer base.

Betting big on iPhone ... we shall see.
  • Reply 164 of 504
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

And if you just go into an Apple Store and steal it off the shelf, it costs $0 per Mac!!!!

You are meant to buy one copy per Mac you wish to upgrade. For families, there is the 5-pack for $199 (a fantastic deal).

But we both know how common this is. I hope Apple monitors it's install base based on update requests and not purchases + retail sales of OS X.
  • Reply 165 of 504
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lucina View Post

Or a relatively satisfied customer base. There is far more pain in my ability to find an

adequate smartphone than in getting my daily affairs done with current OS X.
  • Reply 166 of 504
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lucina View Post

How is changing the name mean that Apple is somehow defaulting on their commitment to offer a good computer? The iPhone is a computer. Leopard for Mac is only being delayed until Leopard for iPhone is out.

No need for us to drink the Kool-Aid just yet.
  • Reply 167 of 504
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Apple will loose a good deal of educational market share for this year because of this.
  • Reply 168 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

Heh, I still hold 100,000 shares. 10,000 of those were at about $14.00 while the other shares were around $60.00

Wow and congrats Webmail! You da man!
  • Reply 169 of 504
    kbsbemekbsbeme Posts: 25member
    As soon as the new Adobe CS is released, Apple needs to start including a free OS upgrade with every computer sold or the professional community may delay their purchases another six month.
  • Reply 170 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d.wannan View Post

Well... I'm not so bothered about the delay in Leopard's release... the only thing for me is Boot Camp... this is timed beta software, due to expire at least in part in September - if we don't get Leopard (and the 'full' version of Boot Camp) till October now, what's going to happen to those of us heathens running Windows on Boot Camp on our Macs?

Stop running Windows?
  • Reply 171 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

So Apple is not viable because of a 3 month delay, however Microsoft is viable for your company when it released details about the OS, then completely changed it, stripping it of all good features, then delayed it 1.....2......3.... years...

Glad I don't work with your logic.

Ditto!
  • Reply 172 of 504
    I just registered so I can post this.

Please people keep a little perspective here. Leopard has been delayed four months - not four years.

As somebody posted earlier, good developers don't just grow on trees. They had to move some people from Leopard to get the iPhone finished. Which is understandable since the IPhone is undoubtedly one of the most important products Apple has ever shipped. If iPhone shipped and the software sucked Apple would loose much credibility.

I'm a software developer and I can tell you Leopard will easily be the best release of OSX ever. You are going to see some amazing stuff for it. It's a programmers dream OS.

Remember, it's only four months.

And BTW, if you need new hardware, just buy it!!!!!!

Sheesh.
  • Reply 172 of 504
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d.wannan View Post

Well... I'm not so bothered about the delay in Leopard's release... the only thing for me is Boot Camp... this is timed beta software, due to expire at least in part in September - if we don't get Leopard (and the 'full' version of Boot Camp) till October now, what's going to happen to those of us heathens running Windows on Boot Camp on our Macs?

No need to worry. When the beta expires, it does not stop working. You just won't ever get support for it from Apple, and there won't be any updates. It is rumoured that Apple will offer Boot Camp final as a stand-alone product for Tiger users.
  • Reply 172 of 504
    discodisco Posts: 83member
    So, I've been a member of AI for quite a long time. In the past 2 years or so I really haven't visited much, as my interest in rumors is slowly decreasing. I'm a professional grapic designer who sees a computer as just another tool, like a pencil or marker. My infatuation with the latest and greatest has waned, as I see a lot of it now as gimmickey and just another reason to get users to upgrade. Now, after all of these years of not really caring or having any inside information, I finally heard some news from a very reliable source. I don't know anything more than what I'll state below, so I won't be able to answer any more follow up questions, or quite frankly, have any more access to additional info. It was a one-time spilling of the beans by someone who should have kept their mouth shut I'm guessing. Choose to believe me or not, but as you can see from my posting history, I'm not much of a speculator these days. I'm posting this because for once, I actually know a little somthing. It's not ground-breaking, but it may shed a little light on the situation.

Here goes:

-The iPhone is indeed a huge drain on Apple right now. Engineering efforts are intense around the new product due to various reasons.

- The iPhone was originally was designed with a plastic LCD screen - it has been switched to glass at the last minute. I am not certain of the reason behind the switch, but engineering is struggling to implement the last-minute change.

-There are worries within engineering about the durability of the new glass screens.

-Projections for the phone are huge. Over 1 million units a month.

-The interface of the iPhone is really shaking up Leopard. Many of the new interface paradigms are being folded into the OS.

-Touch-everything. A massive rethinking about how people interact with hardware will be introduced.

-There is a huge amount of R&D regarding multi-touch. It's resulting in some amazing new interface opportunities.

That's all I really know as being factual. Some of it is rather obvious, but the impact that the phone is having on Apple is perhaps the most interesting nugget. If one were to speculate, it seems Apple is telling a half-truth about the Leopard delay. yes, the phone is a drain on Apple, but the delay is most-likely related to rolling new interface features into Leopard and developing the hardware to drive it. Needless to say, it will interesting to see what Apple unveils in October.
  • Reply 175 of 504
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Well I hope that they aren't using Leopard as an excuse to delay major hardware upgrades. They need to do something groundbreaking with hardware.
  • Reply 176 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

It's a bummer that Leopard is delayed but let's be honest Tiger hasn't even hit its 2nd birthday. It's not like we have a rapidly growing defunct OS. Unlike others ...I do want the iPhone to have tremendous success because it's platform agnostic and iTunes/iPods shows us that when Apple nails this they make a lot of cash and that funds cool new Mac products. A few more months is trivial to wait IMO.

Well said, H!
  • Reply 177 of 504
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    so what does this mean for hardware upgrades? i can wait for leopard, but i could really do with a new machine...
  • Reply 178 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Woah, man, get a sedative. Is 10.4 really suddenly so awful?

As always, Chucker, the voice of reason!
  • Reply 179 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by disco View Post

So, I've been a member of AI for quite a long time. In the past 2 years or so I really haven't visited much, as my interest in rumors is slowly decreasing. I'm a professional grapic designer who sees a computer as just another tool, like a pencil or marker. My infatuation with the latest and greatest has waned, as I see a lot of it now as gimmickey and just another reason to get users to upgrade. Now, after all of these years of not really caring or having any inside information, I finally heard some news from a very reliable source. I don't know anything more than what I'll state below, so I won't be able to answer any more follow up questions, or quite frankly, have any more access to additional info. It was a one-time spilling of the beans by someone who should have kept their mouth shut I'm guessing. Choose to believe me or not, but as you can see from my posting history, I'm not much of a speculator these days. I'm posting this because for once, I actually know a little somthing. It's not ground-breaking, but it may shed a little light on the situation.

Here goes:

-The iPhone is indeed a huge drain on Apple right now. Engineering efforts are intense around the new product due to various reasons.

- The iPhone was originally was designed with a plastic LCD screen - it has been switched to glass at the last minute. I am not certain of the reason behind the switch, but engineering is struggling to implement the last-minute change.

-There are worries within engineering about the durability of the new glass screens.

-Projections for the phone are huge. Over 1 million units a month.

-The interface of the iPhone is really shaking up Leopard. Many of the new interface paradigms are being folded into the OS.

-Touch-everything. A massive rethinking about how people interact with hardware will be introduced.

-There is a huge amount of R&D regarding multi-touch. It's resulting in some amazing new interface opportunities.

That's all I really know as being factual. Some of it is rather obvious, but the impact that the phone is having on Apple is perhaps the most interesting nugget. If one were to speculate, it seems Apple is telling a half-truth about the Leopard delay. yes, the phone is a drain on Apple, but the delay is most-likely related to rolling new interface features into Leopard and developing the hardware to drive it. Needless to say, it will interesting to see what Apple unveils in October.

Great stuff. Thanks.
  • Reply 180 of 504
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    iCry!