Apple delays Leopard release until October

Comments

• Reply 201 of 504
    Yeah, Leopard delayed for six months, and after six months it might be another six months. It’s not only Intel inside that Apple and MS have in common. Now Leopard smells like Vista!!!!!!! Great progress……..
  • Reply 202 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

It is not just the 4 month delay, its the trend. MacWorld in January saw no new Mac hardware or software, instead the iPhone and Apple TV were anounced there, thats a bit disrespectful to all those people that go to MacWorld to see new Mac anouncements. They also said little to nothing about iLife and iWorld at MacWorld, here we are in April and we have yet to hear much about those products, when normaly they are released in Jan at MacWorld, at the same MacWorld Apple Computer changed their name by dropping the computer part. Then they lied about "10.5 not going to be delayed", now they said it is delayed until October and they use as the excuse the iPhone.

What you see is big time frustration over Apple lesser comitment to the Mac platform, the lies, and the disrespect to the users that have supported the company.

People have a right to be big time disappointed, not just for the delay but for the trend and shift in priorities.

Ill buy Leopard when it comes out, but im disappointed in the priority shift and the way Mac users are being treated.

But remember that both the apple tv and the iPhone run OS X, so, at least from my POV, it doesn't seem quite as bad knowing that.
  • Reply 203 of 504
    csi95csi95 Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I hope Apple will start offering FREE Leopard upgrade coupons with all new Macs sold after WWDC.

I was thinking the same thing. I really doubt it will happen, but that would garner some huge good-will from the Mac faithful.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

how often did Jobs jab at Microsoft for delaying Vista?

This was my first thought after hearing the news. Talk about eating crow. First the AppleTV is delayed, now Leopard? I'd say that Steve has been knocked off his high horse a bit.

Apple really needs to hit one out of the park with Leopard now. The stars were all aligned for Apple. Vista had become a joke because of how delayed it was. When it was released the response was luke warm at best. Apple could swoop in with Leopard and blow the doors off of Microsoft. Maybe even make a sizable dent in the desktop market.

Now the tables have turned. Microsoft will have 6 months to get SP1 out the door and let the thud of Vista fade a bit. By the time Leopard is released, it might be too little, too late.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Well, get on with the hardware updates already then Apple. The Mac mini has turned into an antique, we need HDCP support on the displays, better graphics hardware in general, etc. Obviously, there is no point in holding this stuff off for Leopard now.

Here, here! The iMac and MBP are getting long in the tooth as well. No use waiting till October to release updates, ship them on Monday. Do something to take the sting off the Leopard delay news.
  • Reply 204 of 504
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    There Are So Many Of You That Need To Get Bitch Slapped Back Into Reality!!!

Chill

The Fuck

Out
  • Reply 205 of 504
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Apple will loose a good deal of educational market share for this year because of this.

Sorry I can't resist.

Yeah, those 8th graders at P.S. 122 and those sophmores at Central State U. are going to be really hurtin' pups because Apple is releasing Leopard late. Good point I-ball!
  • Reply 206 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Chill

The Fuck

Out

AND LARGE LETTERS ARE CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL
  • Reply 207 of 504
    Quote:

Chill

The Fuck

Out

Eeeww.... this sounds to me like a Don Imus moment!

• Reply 208 of 504
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by staticvector View Post

AND LARGE LETTERS ARE CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

When in Rome....
  • Reply 209 of 504
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

It is not just the 4 month delay, its the trend. MacWorld in January saw no new Mac hardware or software, instead the iPhone and Apple TV were anounced there, thats a bit disrespectful to all those people that go to MacWorld to see new Mac anouncements. They also said little to nothing about iLife and iWorld at MacWorld, here we are in April and we have yet to hear much about those products, when normaly they are released in Jan at MacWorld, at the same MacWorld Apple Computer changed their name by dropping the computer part. Then they lied about "10.5 not going to be delayed", now they said it is delayed until October and they use as the excuse the iPhone.

What you see is big time frustration over Apple lesser comitment to the Mac platform, the lies, and the disrespect to the users that have supported the company.

People have a right to be big time disappointed, not just for the delay but for the trend and shift in priorities.

Ill buy Leopard when it comes out, but im disappointed in the priority shift and the way Mac users are being treated.

The priority shift is in your head IMO. Apple has delivered new technology when it has made sense. Centrino Pro is the next major hardware refresh followed by Stoakley for Desktop/Workstations.

Complaints about iWork or iLife are somewhat fair but Apple never promised that they'd update the apps every MacWorld.

It's very easy to find something to be upset over and many people will manufacture what they perceive are just causes for their anger. Apple is doing what they must do. I'd rather they ship something that works and doesn't put my data or computer at risk rather than pander to a small percentage of consumers that want to keelhaul them on principal

Quote:
    Originally Posted by igorsova View Post

Yeah, Leopard delayed for six months, and after six months it might be another six months. It?s not only Intel inside that Apple and MS have in common. Now Leopard smells like Vista!!!!!!! Great progress??..

I don't know what surprises me more.

a. that you actually registered just to post this

b. that you think June to October is 6 months. Not on Earth pal.
  • Reply 210 of 504
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:

Chill

The Fuck

Out

BAM!
  • Reply 211 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevorlsciact View Post

But remember that both the apple tv and the iPhone run OS X, so, at least from my POV, it doesn't seem quite as bad knowing that.

but none of those devices are true Macs, and they don't take advantage of the new C2D and the 16 gig of memory possible either. Intel hardware is way ahead of the current Tiger capabilities, we do not have a true 64 bit OS as it is not using full memory addressing and is not using 64 bit instructions. Santa Rosa is around the corner and no Leopard. Full 64 capabilities are likely to occur in 10.6 but the longer we wait for 10.5 the longer we have to wait for 10.6.

Frustrations would be lower if Apple just comes out and tells people the truth and tell people what they are really waiting for. Say no comment if they have to, but never lie to the customers. That is very bad form.
  • Reply 212 of 504
    . ......
  • Reply 213 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The priority shift is in your head IMO. Apple has delivered new technology when it has made sense. Centrino Pro is the next major hardware refresh followed by Stoakley for Desktop/Workstations.

Complaints about iWork or iLife are somewhat fair but Apple never promised that they'd update the apps every MacWorld.

It's very easy to find something to be upset over and many people will manufacture what they perceive are just causes for their anger. Apple is doing what they must do. I'd rather they ship something that works and doesn't put my data or computer at risk rather than pander to a small percentage of consumers that want to keelhaul them on principal

a. that you actually registered just to post this

b. that you think June to October is 6 months. Not on Earth pal.

Very well said, you make perfect sense, however I would like Apple to just spell it out and not make excuses and lies. Just say .... "guys we gave it a hell of a try, but then we ran into problems with all the new fangled features. Adding a, b, c, d, turned out a lot harder than we figured, so it is going to take us a few more months".

Be honest to the customers.
  • Reply 214 of 504
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Yeah, Leopard delayed for six months, and after six months it might be another six months. It?s not only Intel inside that Apple and MS have in common. Now Leopard smells like Vista!!!!!!! Great progress??..

Great optimism Newb!!

Yea it's slightly disappointing, but you wouldn't want an OS release with holes like Swiss Cheese so STOP COMPLAINING. This will force Apple to take it's time and release a dynamite OS.

And btw, we still get our candy at WWDC. SOME if not MOST Top Secret features should be revealed.
  • Reply 215 of 504
    Agreed. They should not have made a statement that Leopard was going to ship on time. This is where secrecy hurts you. People HAVE to trust what Apple says because Apple is not forthcoming so in many areas we agree.

I just happen to believe that Apple is indeed very focused on the selling more Macs.

Thanks for the understanding I didn't want to come off sounding too harsh.
  • Reply 216 of 504
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You guys are so dramatic.

Actually this helps me out of my delima. I was debating waiting for Penryn before I bought a new laptop. So now I will.
  • Reply 217 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

You have all rights to keep yourself surprised in any way you choose. Sadly you can?t see or don?t want to see obvious thing ? Apple failed with not only one but with three things: iPhone, Leopard and staying honest with customers.
  • Reply 218 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You guys are so dramatic.

Not dramatic, rather disappointed?

((((((:
  • Reply 219 of 504
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    We seem to have ALMOST as many posters bitching about the Leopard delay as we had when the move to Intel was announced - and we know what a flop that has been.

The iPhone may well be the cause of the delay, but we need to remember that there are TWO sides to the iPhone - Apple's and ATT's (Cingular). Consider fora moment that ATT might be the ones having problems and Apple had a very real need to provide them some very top notch support. Also consider the need to deliver the iPhone on time is greater than the need to deliver Leopard on time. The iPhone stakes are huge for both Apple & ATT and Apple will pull out all of the stops to hit their EIS.

I've worked on projects were outside companies (like ATT in Apple's case) have delivered a FUBAR problem at the last minute and there were some very long hours needed to clear out the problems. Any developer who has been hit with last minute "challenges" will probably understand the situation far better than the average consumer.

If Leopard is required for the iPhone there may well be a 10.4.10 that includes the modules needed for the iPhone and, maybe a few tweaks for the rest of us.

On the hardware side, I see Apple delivering on schedule. They might throw in a $19.99 upgrade to Leopard and even a Discount voucher for the iPhone if the Leopard delays were ATT's fault. ATT, obviously, would be paying for those discounts.
  • Reply 220 of 504
    Quote:

You have all rights to keep yourself surprised in any way you choose. Sadly you can?t see or don?t want to see obvious thing ? Apple failed with not only one but with three things: iPhone, Leopard and staying honest with customers.

That depends on your perspective.

To me being honest with me is telling me "hey ...I can't ship this product to our standards in the timeframe that I wanted to. I need to delay things a bit"

Punishing Apple for not keeping stringent deadlines is foolish. I'm the one who's going to end up collateral damage if they ship a crappy OS that deletes or destroys my computer. Apple will have not failed if the iPhone is delivered in June working like it's expected to.

You only get one chance to make an initial impression. I do not want to see the iPhone become "Newton 2"