Apple delays Leopard release until October

Comments

• Reply 221 of 504
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by igorsova View Post

You have all rights to keep yourself surprised in any way you choose. Sadly you can’t see or don’t want to see obvious thing – Apple failed with not only one but with three things: iPhone, Leopard and staying honest with customers.

1. How has it failed with iPhone? There is no word that it won't be shipping on time.

2. How does a 3 month delay to wok out bugs equate to a failure? This is arguably the most important release of OS X since Macs are becoming more popular and that Vista's recent release will undoubtedly draw an excessive amount of comparisons. I'd rather read about some minor time delay comparison to Vista than a comparison of which OS is buggier.

3. Being Honest? Are you on crack? Apple didn't have to say anything today. The WWDC could have come and Apple could have made no mention of a Leopard release date or even have announced a nice safe October release date for Leopard.

• Reply 222 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

If Leopard is required for the iPhone there may well be a 10.4.10 that includes the modules needed for the iPhone and, maybe a few tweaks for the rest of us..

The iPhone will work with Windows too and integrate with iTunes for all it's syncing so I doubt that it will be required.
  • Reply 223 of 504
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

how often did Jobs jab at Microsoft for delaying Vista?

Four months isn't four years, and it's one delay vs. several, but I would fully expect the Windows users to pretend that it is, even from Windows users that don't use Vista.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charko View Post

AAPL is already $2 down in extended trading!

Where do I get the after-hour trading numbers? Google still shows Apple at a respectable $92 and only a 0.40 drop.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

Think Secret look like a bunch off morons today - they posted this story today:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0704leopard9a410.html

"Think Secret recently learned that Apple is now targeting a release date for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard of June 11, the same day Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference kicks off."

I believe Think Secret has been losing credibility. For me it started when they said that Aperture was dead. I don't think they've had a correct scoop in two years. At least they amended their statement now, they didn't with respect to Aperture.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by athletics68 View Post

iPhone will do ok in the marketplace, but not as well as they're hoping and banking. It has no features that smartphones out there already don't have.

I'm hoping the features it does have is ease of use. If iPhone is anywhere nearly as smooth as the demo videos, then there's definitely nothing like it. I want one, but it will be after they've dropped the price or after my current PDA dies.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AISI View Post

Well, it depends what you mean by 'communicating.' Last month Apple basically lied to us: Apple says Leopard won't be delayed. \

They did this with AppleTV too. I wonder if Apple PR are kept "out of the loop" with respect to their own company.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

Apple releases the hardware when it's available and sometimes even before! Notice the 3ghz, 8 processors Mac has a processor from Intel that no-one else has been able to get yet!

The way the Intel PR said it, it looks like Intel may have offered the chip to other companies but they were turned down. It's possibly Intel's hottest chip to date and it is possible that the others aren't as eager to pick it up as a result.
  • Reply 224 of 504
    Quote:

You have all rights to keep yourself surprised in any way you choose. Sadly you can?t see or don?t want to see obvious thing ? Apple failed with not only one but with three things: iPhone, Leopard and staying honest with customers.

The iPhone is already a failure? Do tell. One million people signed up for info, trade shows dominated by iPhone talk when it doesn't even have a meaningful physical presence, and a huge amount of free press discussing one aspect or another. I'm fairly certain that any company would kill for the kind of buzz that surrounds this thing. Will it live up to the hype? Probably not, but that won't make it a failure either and describing it as such before it even hits the market is just idiotic.

Leopard too? Another product that hasn't even been released yet is already a failure? That's just amazing, Mr. Kreskin, would you be so kind as to tell me if I should sell my stock now?

A month ago, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the bug list looked better and it was conceivable they could resolve them in time for a June release. But guess what? Things change! Really, they do! And now they've re-evaluated and realize the resources they have now aren't enough to put out a quality product on the original date. But, no, it couldn't be that! Apple is lying to their customers instead. Go back to studying the 9/11 conspiracy or whatever else it is that sends you scurrying for your tin-foil cap.
  • Reply 225 of 504
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Also the people complaining about iPhone don't understand the market.

Computer sales growth year over year are slowing down, as the computer market is saturating. Smartphone sales are soaring and only a small portion of potential smartphone users own one.

The trend is also toward portable devices. In 2006 notebooks outsold desktops and smartphones outsold notebooks. In 2006 notebooks grew 27% at 78.8 million units. Smartphones grew 66% at 80 million units. As I said earlier only a small portion of potential smartphone users own one.

Apple knows this and is adjusting its priorities to where the future growth will be.

edit: smartphone growth in 2006 was over 200%
  • Reply 226 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

It is not just the 4 month delay, its the trend. MacWorld in January saw no new Mac hardware or software, instead the iPhone and Apple TV were anounced there, thats a bit disrespectful to all those people that go to MacWorld to see new Mac anouncements. They also said little to nothing about iLife and iWorld at MacWorld, here we are in April and we have yet to hear much about those products, when normaly they are released in Jan at MacWorld, at the same MacWorld Apple Computer changed their name by dropping the computer part. Then they lied about "10.5 not going to be delayed", now they said it is delayed until October and they use as the excuse the iPhone.

What you see is big time frustration over Apple lesser comitment to the Mac platform, the lies, and the disrespect to the users that have supported the company.

People have a right to be big time disappointed, not just for the delay but for the trend and shift in priorities.

Ill buy Leopard when it comes out, but im disappointed in the priority shift and the way Mac users are being treated.

I agree completely! I think Apple is forgetting all about it's user base here by not doing much at all for the first four months aside from blaming the iPhone for all of their delays - yeah, like that's the truth. The products we're used to getting early on we're not hearing a word about and that's rather frustrating. At this point iLife and iWork will have to drop their indication of year in the title because 2007 will mostly be over with at that point. I wish I had the confidence that these secret features were worth it, but I'm growing more doubtful by the day. Sure, Tiger works fine, but the lack of progress with the computers is considerably disappointing.
  • Reply 227 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

To me being honest with me is telling me "hey ...I can't ship this product to our standards in the timeframe that I wanted to. I need to delay things a bit"

Punishing Apple for not keeping stringent deadlines is foolish. I'm the one who's going to end up collateral damage if they ship a crappy OS that deletes or destroys my computer. Apple will have not failed if the iPhone is delivered in June working like it's expected to.

The above I 100% support and agree with, the rest I understand.

Apple will go where the big money and oportunities exist and today that is the phone, but ...... I don't have to like it.

The lack of honesty on their part is what is burning my rear.
  • Reply 228 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Also the people complaining about iPhone don't understand the market.

Computer sales growth year over year are slowing down, as the computer market is saturating. Smartphone sales are soaring and only a small portion of potential smartphone users own one.

The trend is also toward portable devices. In 2006 notebooks outsold desktops and smartphones outsold notebooks. In 2006 notebooks grew 27% at 78.8 million units. Smartphones grew 66% at 80 million units. As I said earlier only a small portion of potential smartphone users own one.

Apple knows this and is adjusting its priorities to where the future growth will be.

Which is further exemplified by Apple's complete lack of significant updates to their computers or their software.
  • Reply 229 of 504
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

To me being honest with me is telling me "hey ...I can't ship this product to our standards in the timeframe that I wanted to. I need to delay things a bit"

There's still the pesky matter of them denying this a month ago. It was within three months of the end of their stated release window and they had no idea that they might need to push back the date? I don't think that's credible.

Quote:

Punishing Apple for not keeping stringent deadlines is foolish. I'm the one who's going to end up collateral damage if they ship a crappy OS that deletes or destroys my computer.

I really don't think a six month time frame is a stringent deadline.
  • Reply 230 of 504
    Quote:

Which is further exemplified by Apple's complete lack of significant updates to their computers or their software.

What hardware updates should there be?
  • Reply 231 of 504
    Quote:

It is not just the 4 month delay, its the trend. MacWorld in January saw no new Mac hardware or software, instead the iPhone and Apple TV were anounced there, thats a bit disrespectful to all those people that go to MacWorld to see new Mac anouncements. They also said little to nothing about iLife and iWorld at MacWorld, here we are in April and we have yet to hear much about those products, when normaly they are released in Jan at MacWorld, at the same MacWorld Apple Computer changed their name by dropping the computer part. Then they lied about "10.5 not going to be delayed", now they said it is delayed until October and they use as the excuse the iPhone.

What you see is big time frustration over Apple lesser comitment to the Mac platform, the lies, and the disrespect to the users that have supported the company.

People have a right to be big time disappointed, not just for the delay but for the trend and shift in priorities.

Ill buy Leopard when it comes out, but im disappointed in the priority shift and the way Mac users are being treated.

I do understand your point but remember, some of the non Mac products (iPhone, iPod, ATV) will help Apple sell Macs in the long run. Its all about the "halo effect". The Mac (OSX really) is still the centre of Apple's universe (as seen by iPhone and ATV). Apple shipped an entire new range of Macs last year and I would have been shocked had they released any new Macs at MacWorld in January. That really is just expecting far too much. Developing hardware/software products isn't easy and Apple aren't super human. Yes, a preview of the new iLife products would have been nice at MacWorld.

Also, some people seem to be implying that Apple's excuse for Leopard slipping isn't because they moved developers/testers to the iPhone team. I think your probably mistaken. Porting OSX to an entirely new hardware platform (with lots of limitations) is a non trivial task. It sounds like the truth to me anyway.

Again I understand your points and concerns but I don't think you have any real reasons to be "big time disappointed".

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.

(Hey, its my second post - this may become a habit!)
  • Reply 232 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post
    1. Being Honest? Are you on crack? Apple didn't have to say anything today. The WWDC could have come and Apple could have made no mention of a Leopard release date or even have announced a nice safe October release date for Leopard.

Did you miss their anouncement a few days ago where they stasted that Leopard was not going to be delayed?

Today they said it will be delayed until October, the same month they denied a few days ago,
  • Reply 233 of 504
    Quote:
    1. How has it failed with iPhone?

2. How does a 3 month delay

3. Being Honest?

If Apple didn?t fail with iPhone, it wouldn?t need to move recourses from Leopard.

Recourses from Leopard were moved ONLY because Apple realised that Leopard wasn?t going to be finished in time.

Rotten honesty is when OS said to be released in spring and confirmed that there won?t be any delays and now it is said its likely be ready in autumn.
  • Reply 234 of 504
    Quote:

What updates should there be?

How about a MBP that has a user-swappable HD like the MacBook has had for quite some time now?

How about a graphics card in the Mac Pro that doesn't get owned by what the folks using PC's can get their hands on? Though you'll probably blame NVidia for that.

How about having BTO drive options for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Believe it or not, some of us actually do have players and high definition setups. What do we have in a Mac? A past-gen DVD "Super Drive" that isn't so super anymore.

The list goes on, but I'd rather not publish a book.
  • Reply 235 of 504
    Those are more personal nitpicks. What you've listed adds little feature or performance gain for the average computer user.
  • Reply 236 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Great optimism Newb!!

Yea it's slightly disappointing, but you wouldn't want an OS release with holes like Swiss Cheese so STOP COMPLAINING. This will force Apple to take it's time and release a dynamite OS.

And btw, we still get our candy at WWDC. SOME if not MOST Top Secret features should be revealed.

One would hope. By giving the software engineers this extra time do you believe the likelihood of hitting 10.5.9 will be reduced considering that they have this time to get it all right the first time? Perhaps they'll only need to use so much as 10.5.2?
  • Reply 237 of 504
    Quote:

Did you miss their anouncement a few days ago where they stasted that Leopard was not going to be delayed?

Today they said it will be delayed until October, the same month they denied a few days ago,

Like I said, they didn't have to say anyting. Plus, when does changing your mind or finding out new information mean you're lying.

Scenerio:

Leopard Developer #1: "Did you read that PR sated that Leopard will ship on time?"

Leopard Developer #2: Yeah, what's with that? We still have too many things to work out. Especially with RedBox*."

Leopard Developer #1: "Maybe we should tell somebody in PR. They might have gotten confused with the Leopard build for iPhone."

* RedBox ain't gonna happen

Quote:

If Apple didn’t fail with iPhone, it wouldn’t need to move recourses from Leopard.

Recourses from Leopard were moved ONLY because Apple realised that Leopard wasn’t going to be finished in time.

Rotten honesty is when OS said to be released in spring and confirmed that there won’t be any delays and now it is said its likely be ready in autumn.

LEOPARD DELAYED! IPHONE FAILED! GOV'T BEHIND 9/11! SKY IS FALLING!

Here's a secret, the iPhone runs on Leopard frameworks.
  • Reply 238 of 504
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

but none of those devices are true Macs, and they don't take advantage of the new C2D and the 16 gig of memory possible either. Intel hardware is way ahead of the current Tiger capabilities, we do not have a true 64 bit OS as it is not using full memory addressing and is not using 64 bit instructions. Santa Rosa is around the corner and no Leopard. Full 64 capabilities are likely to occur in 10.6 but the longer we wait for 10.5 the longer we have to wait for 10.6.

Ah, if only they'd stuck with PowerPC's 64bit goodness and not wasted their time on moving the OS to Intel eh?

Quote:

The iPhone will work with Windows too and integrate with iTunes for all it's syncing so I doubt that it will be required.

Grrr. Still pees me off that everything has to go through iTunes now to sync instead of them porting iSync to Windows.

Quote:

A Core2Duo Mac Mini update a couple of days ago would have been nice. I had to buy a Mac Mini yesterday for use as a headless server so it doesn't matter really about the update for me but I can see why other people might.

However, the OP also mentioned software and the biggest 'Where is it?' for me is still iWork. I'm looking forward to more features in Pages and hopefully a spreadsheet program.
  • Reply 239 of 504
    Quote:

Those are more personal nitpicks. What you've listed adds little feature or performance gain for the average computer user.

The lack of HD drives is a significant issue. But then again, you may not have an HDTV so you're not as concerned as I am. The graphics card is a serious issue with me because I'm tired of Apple continually being so far behind the game in GPU's.

I know this is a Leopard thread sorry for bringing up my issues with hardware. I guess Apple will just be late with everything.
  • Reply 240 of 504
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by badNameErr View Post

I do understand your point but remember, some of the non Mac products (iPhone, iPod, ATV) will help Apple sell Macs in the long run. Its all about the "halo effect". The Mac (OSX really) is still the centre of Apple's universe (as seen by iPhone and ATV). Apple shipped an entire new range of Macs last year and I would have been shocked had they released any new Macs at MacWorld in January. That really is just expecting far too much. Developing hardware/software products isn't easy and Apple aren't super human. Yes, a preview of the new iLife products would have been nice at MacWorld.

Also, some people seem to be implying that Apple's excuse for Leopard slipping isn't because they moved developers/testers to the iPhone team. I think your probably mistaken. Porting OSX to an entirely new hardware platform (with lots of limitations) is a non trivial task. It sounds like the truth to me anyway.

Again I understand your points and concerns but I don't think you have any real reasons to be "big time disappointed".

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.

(Hey, its my second post - this may become a habit!)

badNameErr,

Very reasonable post with well made points.

Apple is in the midst of explosive growth. Managing that growth is bound to produce a hiccup or two. See the big picture. The iPhone, if done right, means Mega $ to Apple. In the lomg run, those $ will eventually translate into better computer hardware and software for all of us.