Apple delays Leopard release until October

Comments

• Reply 241 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

I know this is a Leopard thread sorry for bringing up my issues with hardware. I guess Apple will just be late with everything.

Since when has Apple EVER been EARLY when is comes to hardware releases?
  • Reply 242 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

LEOPARD DELAYED! IPHONE FAILED! GOV'T BEHIND 9/11! SKY IS FALLING!

If it is all you can say, than you understood that my conclusion was right.

(;
  • Reply 243 of 504
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Grrr. Still pees me off that everything has to go through iTunes now to sync instead of them porting iSync to Windows.

Me too. I understand Apple's "one app to control them all" model but I personally would prefer not to use iTunes in that way. Honestly, I can't say that I'd do it any differently if I were in Apple's shoes.
  • Reply 244 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by badNameErr View Post

Sorry. I forgot they're late with all of that too.
  • Reply 245 of 504
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Like I said, they didn't have to say anyting. Plus, when does changing your mind or finding out new information mean you're lying.

Them changing their mind so late in the project isn't a credible explaination. If they really did change their mind in the last two weeks, then I don't think they knew what they were doing with respect to project management. It was about two months from when they should be "going gold" and three months from their projected official release, they should have been the home stretch and have had a very good idea of where the project was.
  • Reply 246 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by badNameErr View Post

Every Intel transition except for Xserve?
  • Reply 247 of 504
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

Did you miss their anouncement a few days ago where they stasted that Leopard was not going to be delayed?

Which announcement was that?

IIRC that rumour was an analyst saying that they'd talked to someone at Apple and they'd confirmed it was on schedule. I remember reading it but now can't find it (and it's too general to google for).
  • Reply 248 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Them changing their mind so late in the project isn't a credible explaination. If they really did change their mind in the last two weeks, then I don't think they knew what they were doing with respect to project management. It was about two months from when they should be "going gold" and three months from their projected official release, they should have been the home stretch and have had a very good idea of where the project was.

Just think, Apple might be able to stretch Leopard out over two years and bring in the new cat in 2009. With this extra time they're getting they'd better have a flawless launch. If they end up sending out patches right away they'll look even worse. You'll be able to hear laughter everywhere from Microsoft users.
  • Reply 249 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Have you never been working on a project, saw the end was close at hand and then something came up that forced a major delay? I'm being general here, but In reference to my personal experience with software it's happened more than once. These Leopard builds are proof that things aren't moving as smoothly as they could.

I still stand by the fact that Apple could have said nothing and merely given us an October release date at WWDC.
  • Reply 250 of 504
    Quote:

Have you never been working on a project, saw the end was close at hand and then something came up that forced a major delay? I'm being general here, but In reference to my personal experience with software it's happened more than once. These Leopard builds are proof that things aren't moving as smoothly as they could.

I still stand by the fact that Apple could have said nothing and merely given us an October release date at WWDC.

Or they could have sent out pictures of a Leopard in the snow wearing a santa hat.
  • Reply 251 of 504
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Or they could have sent out pictures of a Leopard in the snow wearing a santa hat.

Or a pumpkin with leopard spots.
  • Reply 252 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Why? Adobe CS3 doesn't depend on Leopard. Once you're in Photoshop or Illustrator you don't see the OS or care about it.

Maybe not, but Apple depends upon Adobe CS3 to trigger the pro sales that have been slow because the pros are waiting for both CS3 and Leopard.

Why?

It's the EXPENSE. Professionals (corporate/mulit machine graphics and layout houses) are waiting to upgrade when Leopard ships installed. It would not be smart to invest in new hardware then have to spend extra money and installation time for the new OS a few months later.

Offering free upgrades would entice these pros to buy as soon as CS3 is released.
  • Reply 253 of 504
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Is it spring in October in the southern hemisphere?

Too bad they waited until today to make this announcement.

They could have really blown everyone's mind if they made

this announcement on April 1.
  • Reply 254 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Or a pumpkin with leopard spots.

I thought that too, but it'd just look like someone took a gun to a pumpkin. I'm sure someone with serious Photoshop skills can put together a Leopard out in the snow with a santa hat on. What's one delay when you can have two? Steve will be to busy counting money made from the iPhone to bother with the pesky full-sized OS or Macs.
  • Reply 255 of 504
    Just want to point out that Apple didn’t say that Leopard will be released in October. “Anticipating launching the software in October” can also mean that it will be released in February 08.
  • Reply 256 of 504
    I hate to say this... but I think Apple made a critical error in judgment, IMO. With all of Microsoft's problems with Vista, they had a very unique opportunity to finaly "nail" them! Now I am not so sure! I think they should have put the iPhone on the "back burner" and concentrated on Leopard - even if it meant delaying the iPhone 'till Christmas, esp if it meant that the 1st gen was going to be a 3G handset. IMO, they should NOT have previewed iPhone 'till it was ready to ship - now since it looks like, possibly, late June or even July for it's release!

PS - edit... I think the iPhone hurt Leopard and vise versa... They allocated their resources incorrectly and, apparently, were stretched too "thin"! I hope this does not hurt them in the long run!
  • Reply 257 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by igorsova View Post

Just want to point out that Apple didn?t say that Leopard will be released in October. ?Anticipating launching the software in October? can also mean that it will be released in February 08.

Thanks for pointing that out! My snow leopard idea still applies for February, thought the santa hat would be out of season. So perhaps just a leopard sitting out in the snow. \
  • Reply 258 of 504
    Quote:

Thanks for pointing that out! My snow leopard idea still applies for February, thought the santa hat would be out of season. So perhaps just a leopard sitting out in the snow. \

Wouldn?t Leopard be a great Xmas present?
  • Reply 259 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OS X Guy View Post

I hate to say this... but I think Apple made a critical error in judgment, IMO. With all of Microsoft's problems with Vista, they had a very unique opportunity to really "nail" them! Now I am not so sure of things! I think they should have put the iPhone on the "back burner" and concentrated on Leopard - even if it meant delaying the iPhone 'till Christmas, esp if it meant the 1st gen was going to be a 3G handset. IMO, they should NOT have previewed the iPhone 'till it was ready to ship!

Steve can make to much money with the iPhone. He wont delay it. But they seem to be focusing far more on gadgets than they are on their OS or Macs. Fitting that they dropped the word Computer from their name. No need to remind people what they used to be interested in! I suppose that whole OS development thing can get boring after a while so they can mothball that and focus on the cool toys.
  • Reply 260 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by igorsova View Post

Wouldn’t Leopard be a great Xmas present?

Sure it would be. I'd expect it to be properly packaged though. Hopefully someone will come up with the picture I described. I have no skills with Photoshop so I'm not going to attempt it.

There IS a snow leopard.