Apple delays Leopard release until October

Comments

• Reply 261 of 504
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kbsbeme View Post

Maybe not, but Apple depends upon Adobe CS3 to trigger the pro sales that have been slow because the pros are waiting for both CS3 and Leopard.

Why?

It's the EXPENSE. Professionals (corporate/mulit machine graphics and layout houses) are waiting to upgrade when Leopard ships installed. It would not be smart to invest in new hardware then have to spend extra money and installation time for the new OS a few months later.

Offering free upgrades would entice these pros to buy as soon as CS3 is released.

Don't be silly. Most creative pros would rather have a stable OS than a brand new unproven OS. And $129 is really nothing when you're spending $4000 on a MacPro and $3000 on CS3 or so. They've got work to do. If they need new hardware, they'll buy it regardless of the OS.
  • Reply 262 of 504
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

One would hope. By giving the software engineers this extra time do you believe the likelihood of hitting 10.5.9 will be reduced considering that they have this time to get it all right the first time? Perhaps they'll only need to use so much as 10.5.2?

LOL.

Apple will go well beyond 10.5.2, but given the ample time to work on it, I would also doubt that we will see 10.5.9. Expect to see a 10.4.9.5...
  • Reply 263 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

LOL.

Apple will go well beyond 10.5.2, but given the ample time to work on it, I would also doubt that we will see 10.5.9. Expect to see a 10.4.9.5...

Now that's funny! I really do look forward to hearing about Apple's reception at NAB just a few days away. They'll have to explain how all the new pro software they are introducing works perfectly fine on Tiger and that there's no reason to worry about Leopard not being released until there's snow on the ground in the Northern Hemisphere, and not to worry about Mac updates because Ive is so winded from that CPU update in the Mac Pro to be bothered with actually giving us new faster products throughout. But hey, he DID get to talk to Steve on an iPhone in the last keynote.
  • Reply 264 of 504
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Apple's reception at NAB just a few days away. They'll have to explain how all the new pro software they are introducing works perfectly fine on Tiger and that there's no reason to worry about Leopard

Yes it'll be interesting to see what Apple will do in respect with the pro apps.

Apple could show the new apps and say they will ship when Leopard is shipped. A lot of people and businesses are heavily invested in Apple's pro apps so its unlikely many will switch to something else simply because of a four month delay.

Its possible Apple could launch the new version of the pro apps sooner than Leopard, then offer the functionality that works with Leopard in a software update when Leopard is released.
  • Reply 265 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

Heh, I still hold 100,000 shares. 10,000 of those were at about $14.00 while the other shares were around $60.00

Isn't great how anonymous forums let people lie about things like having 10 million dollars in stock?
  • Reply 266 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by disco View Post

So, I've been a member of AI for quite a long time. In the past 2 years or so I really haven't visited much, as my interest in rumors is slowly decreasing. I'm a professional grapic designer who sees a computer as just another tool, like a pencil or marker. My infatuation with the latest and greatest has waned, as I see a lot of it now as gimmickey and just another reason to get users to upgrade. Now, after all of these years of not really caring or having any inside information, I finally heard some news from a very reliable source. I don't know anything more than what I'll state below, so I won't be able to answer any more follow up questions, or quite frankly, have any more access to additional info. It was a one-time spilling of the beans by someone who should have kept their mouth shut I'm guessing. Choose to believe me or not, but as you can see from my posting history, I'm not much of a speculator these days. I'm posting this because for once, I actually know a little somthing. It's not ground-breaking, but it may shed a little light on the situation.

Here goes:

-The iPhone is indeed a huge drain on Apple right now. Engineering efforts are intense around the new product due to various reasons.

- The iPhone was originally was designed with a plastic LCD screen - it has been switched to glass at the last minute. I am not certain of the reason behind the switch, but engineering is struggling to implement the last-minute change.

-There are worries within engineering about the durability of the new glass screens.

-Projections for the phone are huge. Over 1 million units a month.

-The interface of the iPhone is really shaking up Leopard. Many of the new interface paradigms are being folded into the OS.

-Touch-everything. A massive rethinking about how people interact with hardware will be introduced.

-There is a huge amount of R&D regarding multi-touch. It's resulting in some amazing new interface opportunities.

That's all I really know as being factual. Some of it is rather obvious, but the impact that the phone is having on Apple is perhaps the most interesting nugget. If one were to speculate, it seems Apple is telling a half-truth about the Leopard delay. yes, the phone is a drain on Apple, but the delay is most-likely related to rolling new interface features into Leopard and developing the hardware to drive it. Needless to say, it will interesting to see what Apple unveils in October.

Wow, glass screens on a phone. That's a brilliant "reliable source" you've got. Did he also tell you that the next MBPro would be made of balsa wood to lower the weight?
  • Reply 267 of 504
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Wow, glass screens on a phone. That's a brilliant "reliable source" you've got. Did he also tell you that the next MBPro would be made of balsa wood to lower the weight?

What's so bizarre about a phone having a glass screen? Mine has - Sony Ericsson P910i - It's glass with a touch screen layer.
  • Reply 268 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Yes it'll be interesting to see what Apple will do in respect with the pro apps.

Apple could show the new apps and say they will ship when Leopard is shipped. A lot of people and businesses are heavily invested in Apple's pro apps so its unlikely many will switch to something else simply because of a four month delay.

Its possible Apple could launch the new version of the pro apps sooner than Leopard, then offer the functionality that works with Leopard in a software update when Leopard is released.

Don't hold your breath for pro apps. Expect similar "releases" as iPhone 4 months ago and ATv back in the fall. This is now apple's marketing scheme - more hype, earlier announcements, later releases. It didn't exactly work with ATv, we'll see how it goes with iPhone, Leopard, and then FCPro and Logic. It already feels like that initial hype for iPhone is waning a bit, though, so they'll have to crank up the advertising again in a couple of months...
  • Reply 269 of 504
    I was awaiting Leopard to buy a Mac Book.

I can't until June -- Oct. I must purchase a Mac Book before Leopard. \

Seeking advice:

Do I wait for new Mac Books, or would these be delayed until Leopard?

Do I wait for Certificates for free Leopard upgrades? What are the chances of this and when?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
  • Reply 270 of 504
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

Well said, H!

Do you get paid by the post?
  • Reply 271 of 504
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CRAYOLA View Post

1) Do I wait for new Mac Books, or would these be delayed until Leopard?

2) Do I wait for Certificates for free Leopard upgrades? What are the chances of this and when?

1) No one here can say.

2) No. Slim to none.
  • Reply 272 of 504
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Fair point and question. I got a little carried away today by the panic posts on this thread. I'm suspending myself for 24 hours effective tomorrow morning. I'm also fining myself for excessive posting.
  • Reply 273 of 504
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Have you never been working on a project, saw the end was close at hand and then something came up that forced a major delay? I'm being general here, but In reference to my personal experience with software it's happened more than once. These Leopard builds are proof that things aren't moving as smoothly as they could.

Maybe, but my impression from the reports in the last three months is that the storm clouds were on the horizon. It's possible they were just in a state of denial about it. That and the fact that they admitted to siphoning off talent for another project, that had to have an impact on their breathing room.

Quote:

I still stand by the fact that Apple could have said nothing and merely given us an October release date at WWDC.

I forgot to mention, but I think that would have been better. Having to make a panic press release to refute rumors did them no good. A delay probably would have been clear to the rumor mills by the end of may if there weren't reports of the discs going to replication. I recall that Apple PR used to ignore or not comment on rumors, I don't know what happened here. It sure seems like it backfired.
  • Reply 274 of 504
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Wow this is extremely disappointing. This has been the slowest year for me since I became an apple user. No crazy new machines, no new OS, no new ipod, no new screens. I guess my wallet is thanking me.

But I've already started visting my usual apple sites less and less. Apple is offically borning to me now.
  • Reply 275 of 504
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

He doesn't, but I do.
  • Reply 276 of 504
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    tell me about it... there really isnt anything to mockup... what a shame
  • Reply 277 of 504
    doemeldoemel Posts: 75member
    Holy comoly! What a ruckus, the news has been out for a few hours and there's already 275 comments! That's gotta be an AI record.

Seems like the MacOS X 10.5 is the new Longhorn... Nah, just kidding. I for my part can't wait to get my hands on the 10.4.10 update!!!
  • Reply 278 of 504
    see below....
  • Reply 279 of 504
    I am disappointed, too, but mainly as a stockholder/apple advocate. But really, this idea of waiting to purchase a computer until Leopard is ready, or worrying about getting it for free, or really thinking you can't do without it, is obsession. What, really, do you need from Leopard to do the work you need to do with your computer. It can't be the secret features, because you don't even know what they are. It can't be Time Machine, because you're using your computer now without it. This obsession with Leopard has been fostered by Steve Jobs, and now it's backfiring a bit, but let's all take a deep breath. Even CS3 won't use the 64 bit capabilities of Leopard, and it's so new it's not even out yet. Leopard is part of a longterm strategy, so four months (not three) is not that big a deal when you think about those terms.

Just buy the computers now, and use the software you have - it's fine. And take a deep breath. Stockholders like me, just HOLD your breath - for a long time - and pretend it isn't happening, cause it will probably hurt for a while, especially if Apple's results in a week aren't stunning....

Anyone agree?
  • Reply 280 of 504
    mike12309mike12309 Posts: 135member
    oh they are gonna miss back to school.. thats too bad. in time for Xmas though.