Apple delays Leopard release until October

Comments

• Reply 301 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CRAYOLA View Post

I was awaiting Leopard to buy a Mac Book.

I can't until June -- Oct. I must purchase a Mac Book before Leopard. \

Seeking advice:

Do I wait for new Mac Books, or would these be delayed until Leopard?

Do I wait for Certificates for free Leopard upgrades? What are the chances of this and when?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Welcome to the forum CRAYOLA. Most people here would tell you that if you need a new laptop, the best choice is to simply go out and buy one. Yes, you'll likely miss out on new features dropped into the new models, but it all comes down to your needs. If you need it, buy it. When the new stuff comes out, either hand it down to a relative you know that needs it, or Ebay it.

Best of luck to you. At this point Apple has us all wondering what they are doing.
  • Reply 302 of 504
    This is what I expect to commence at WWDC due to my recently lowered expectations.

Steve: Hey guys, look at this awesome, amazing iPhone! It's available at the end of the month.

Steve (mumbling): Oh, and there's going to be a little update to OS X when we figure out how to justify putting some people on it.

Steve: And there's one more thing. Look at this super-amazing iPhone!

Steve: OK, see you soon!

As you can probably guess, I'm a bit PO'ed.
  • Reply 303 of 504
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by igorsova View Post

Just want to point out that Apple didn?t say that Leopard will be released in October. ?Anticipating launching the software in October? can also mean that it will be released in February 08.

oooh, stop it Can't you allready imagine all those people jumping off this famous red bridge in San Fran this WE!? So mean of you!
  • Reply 304 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Wow this is extremely disappointing. This has been the slowest year for me since I became an apple user. No crazy new machines, no new OS, no new ipod, no new screens. I guess my wallet is thanking me.

But I've already started visting my usual apple sites less and less. Apple is offically borning to me now.

This certainly has been a slow year for Apple. They haven't released anything that I've been compelled to purchase. Sure, the ATV is out, but I won't go buy one until the second version. With all of the modifications out there possible with the current model, it may inspire Apple to use the platform for all it's worth rather than limiting it as much as they are currently. On the hardware side, they have completely let me down by not releasing new products. Sure, people used to joke about how frwquently new iPods would be released, and when we want a new wide screen one like the iPhone, there's nothing.

I'm sure there are people out there who know this off the tp of their heads. Is this the worst year for Apple updates thus far? If not, when was it?
  • Reply 305 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by montefuego View Post

I am disappointed, too, but mainly as a stockholder/apple advocate. But really, this idea of waiting to purchase a computer until Leopard is ready, or worrying about getting it for free, or really thinking you can't do without it, is obsession. What, really, do you need from Leopard to do the work you need to do with your computer. It can't be the secret features, because you don't even know what they are. It can't be Time Machine, because you're using your computer now without it. This obsession with Leopard has been fostered by Steve Jobs, and now it's backfiring a bit, but let's all take a deep breath. Even CS3 won't use the 64 bit capabilities of Leopard, and it's so new it's not even out yet. Leopard is part of a longterm strategy, so four months (not three) is not that big a deal when you think about those terms.

Just buy the computers now, and use the software you have - it's fine. And take a deep breath. Stockholders like me, just HOLD your breath - for a long time - and pretend it isn't happening, cause it will probably hurt for a while, especially if Apple's results in a week aren't stunning....

Anyone agree?

Lots of people obsess. I obsess about many things like new cars, and new electronics to include Apple products. Everyone obsesses about something. I know many women that obsess over their perfect wedding, or their favorite jewelry. Everyone does it to a degree.

In the software world people tend to obsess because change is a constant. I obsess about the new OS because I'm always interested in the new features. When Tiger came out I loved playing around with Dashboard, and still do. It's the features that really make me interested in the OS. With Leopard, there isn't too much to talk about really. Sure, there's Time Machine which is great if you have a hard drive die on you, but it's mostly going to be in the background. It's the features that Apple is keeping hidden that are making me obsess because I think they are keeping them secret so Microsoft won't start copying them. To me, that means they will be cool features. That's why I obsess.

If it weren't for ATV, I think Apple would be having a dismal first half of the year. If the Mac Pro is any indication of future Mac updates, it's really gonna suck because the recent Mac Pro update sure did.
  • Reply 306 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike12309 View Post

oh they are gonna miss back to school.. thats too bad. in time for Xmas though.

All they'd have to do to push Leopard back until 2008 is a problem with iPhone software, after launch, that steals the software engineers back away from Leopard. I'd actually laugh at that point because it would be so horrible. No OS update for 2007, nothing but sad refreshes for the hardware side, excluding the ATV and iPhone gadgets.
  • Reply 307 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

I'm sure there are people out there who know this off the tp of their heads. Is this the worst year for Apple updates thus far? If not, when was it?

I recall that in the dark days of the Motorola G4, we went a whole year without a speed increase, with the top speed of the G4 desktop sitting at 500 Mhz. And that was after the infamous reverse bump at its introduction. *That* was a bad year.
  • Reply 308 of 504
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Well, I'd say the market is having a more appropriate reaction than many people on this board. It's down $1.50 as of right now, which represents to me a reaction of "well, it's not good, but it's certainly not a disaster."
  • Reply 309 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lucina View Post

What if iPhone bombs?

It might. The biggest concern I have is battery life. The iPhone isn't that big to begin with. With all of the phone and iPod guts in it, there's limited room for batteries. If the battery life sucks, people will take major issue with it. It's one thing with someone's iPod dies because of poor battery life, but when someone's PHONE dies because of it, it's personal then. Most people I know depend on their cell phone for communication throughout the day, with limited charge times. If they can't at least match the times Nokia and Motorola get with their phones, a.k.a. what people are used to, Apple will really have a problem on their hands.
  • Reply 310 of 504
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    >>Wow, glass screens on a phone. That's a brilliant "reliable source" you've got. Did he also tell you that the next MBPro would be made of balsa wood to lower the weight?<<

If you seach back thrpough the last month's news stories, the German company that makes the glass coated touch screens was mentioned. Name begins with a B, but I can't remember it right now.
  • Reply 311 of 504
    Althought some long-time Apple users are saying this is a good thing having a stable OS vs. a rushed-new OS, I beg to differ (from a marketing standpoint).

Even though you have a 3 month delay, and after prior jabs to M$ about delays, it puts a few dents into the confidence in the stock of Apple. I don't see people making the decision "aw shucks, guess i'll just have to buy vista", no that's not the case, but isn't apple known for it's innovative thinking/planning/stratedgy? Indeed it has been a slow year for Apple, and now i believe that the iPhone will make or break the bank this year.

I guess what I'm trying to say this, and as I dodge the rocks thrown at me.... Apple has grown a lot within the past 3 years, and in doing so, they're starting to look like M$ with their slip ups. So the next time something like this comes from Apple, I'll end up saying "They pulled a M$ on us"
  • Reply 312 of 504
    sam damonsam damon Posts: 129member
    Here's what the headlines have missed: this is Apple's second major software fsckup.

The first one was Aperture 1.0. Aperture's initial release was certainly not what people have come to expect from Apple. From most accounts, this program simply didn't work from the start as Apple intended. The only way Apple could fix it was to pull over help from the Final Cut programming team, get the bugs out, and then release as a 1.5. Sure, the next version of FC was delayed, but no one except video geeks noticed.

This time, Apple's software fsckup is more serious, and a bunch more people have noticed. Sure, Tiger's fine. I really didn't feel the need to upgrade in say, June. With Apple's system software, it's usually a good thing to wait for a couple point releases before upgrading. So, in that sense, this isn't a big deal. What worries me, are the underlying factors behind the delay more than anything else. Sometimes, asking for the impossible gives you the impossible.

The whole delay affair makes me think all is not right in the halls of Cupertino... the pressure cooker can only take so much heat before the steam tries to find a way out.
  • Reply 313 of 504
    People don't realize how important the iPhone is to Apple. Fuck OSX, Apple has had the superior OS for over 3 years now - that does not mean shit and has not brought them leaps and bounds in revenue or market share. Mobile computing is the future, and it is very important that Apple gets this right. 4 months is nothing, get over it - even the Market realizes this, AAPL did not fall far at all.
  • Reply 314 of 504
    [QUOTE= even the Market realizes this, AAPL did not fall far at all.[/QUOTE]

We'll see in 5 hrs.
  • Reply 315 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

People don't realize how important the iPhone is to Apple. Fuck OSX, Apple has had the superior OS for over 3 years now - that does not mean shit and has not brought them leaps and bounds in revenue or market share. Mobile computing is the future, and it is very important that Apple gets this right. 4 months is nothing, get over it - even the Market realizes this, AAPL did not fall far at all.

The iPhone will finally enable people to surf the web while driving their H2s in heavy traffic.
  • Reply 316 of 504
    No big deal, I've got no problems with Tiger really.
  • Reply 317 of 504
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by domerdel View Post

We'll see in 5 hrs.

What happens in 5 hours from when you posted? The market has been open for about three hours now, now it's down to just under $91/share.
  • Reply 318 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What happens in 5 hours from when you posted? The market has been open for about three hours now, now it's down to just under $91/share.

Market closes in 5 hrs. ... well 4.5 now
  • Reply 319 of 504
    Quote:

Succinct. And a correct summation.

1 billion phone market.

250 million PC market.

30 million Mac market.

Guess which wins? iPhone.

However, seeing as iPhone is based on a cut-down version of Leopard?

Is Leopard really delayed at all? Ironically, it will ship in June. Heh.

Just not for 'Mac' users.

But then, the iPhone will be a 'Mac' of sorts. Just like Apple TV and iPods are. To a degree. Getting Leopard to run on another new processor in iPhone is quite some achievement.

I don't like Leopard being 'Late'. But I'd rather they get it right. 3 months isn't going to hurt us that much. I'd have been waiting for them to patch it anyhow.

In the meantime, we'll probably see the new iMac around the late spring time. New Macbooks/Pros. GPU options for the Pro line.

And Penryn's due 2nd half this year.

Looks like things won't get started on the Mac front until WWDC. It's not that bad. We'll still get to see a 'near' final/feature complete 'Leopard'.

It just won't be QAssured. And the developers get to play and test the top secret features which is what most people seemed to be worried about.

I'll be buying a new Mac this year. So. I'll have to wait a little longer. Yeh, yeh...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 320 of 504
    I am a little disappointed that it's being delayed till October now, but do you really have any problems with the OS now? I do want to see some of the new features and how they actually work, but as of right now, with the new update, I don't think OS X has run any better then it is now. It does everything I want it to, and 99.9% of the time, it runs flawless. I think if Steve feels they need more time, then it's probably a good idea to delay it. A lot of people here have said that they would rather it be delayed then release a bug ridden OS that crashes, can't burn CDs, and a whole other slew of problems. Apple will take some damage by this, but it will probably be better in the long run. Steve and everyone there in upper management know what they're doing, they aren't a bunch of 18 year old chasing cheerleaders around with no pants on. They will do what is in the companies best interest, they want to get out the OS as fast as possible, WITHOUT any problems. Everyone just calm down, relax, and enjoy what you have now. Stop looking ahead and getting pissed about something that will come in time. Take life one day at a time... YEAH!! haha I'm done