4 Days - NAB predictions.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

It doesn't make sense to introduce new options in Mac Pros just 2 weeks after they introduced new options in Mac Pros. It'll piss off everyone who jumped on the 8-core computers a week ago, and cause a lot of computers to be sent back... Also, reducing the price of cinema displays just before release a new line doesn't make much sense either. In the past, Apple has just put old product lines in the sale section of the store, not left them in the main store with new prices.

Nothing else you have listed makes sense at this event... 2 GB standard in Mac Pros would raise the base price, which is important when Apple promoters say that Mac Pro costs less than a Dell, the New Ultraportable isn't going to happen, and iMacs won't be unveiled at a conference geared to professionals.

Sorry if that bursts any bubbles. Final Cut Pro should be updated, but my money's on a lame-ass speech about what will be new when it comes out in August, kind of like they did with ATv and iPhone and Leopard... They want to wait for 99.99% compatability with things like Photoshop, Leopard, etc...

BTW, when Final Cut is released, they will also release Final Cut Express, which will replace iMovie and other equivalents and maybe come free with certain systems. Apple's made a lot of money on Garage Band users moving up to Logic Express (which a low percentage really need) and Logic Express users moving to Logic Pro (which very few need), and it's a good way to sell the product to prosumers and wannabes with too much money. I also expect Logic Express to become more user friendly and replace garageband... None of this will happen until Leopard, though, as they will all add to the hype, and help prevent any disappointments when Leopard does not include definite proof of who shot J.R...

I guess we'll know in a few days. One would hope that the high end GPU wouldn't remain a NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB, Stereo 3D (2 x dual-link DVI). That's just not top of the line anymore. That said, if they DON'T come out with better GPU's, can I go out and buy a top of the line NVidia GPU and drop it in? What are the real limitations there? This is obviously something I've never done, but may need to do.

As for your comments regarding Final Cut Express, I seriously doubt it. Many people I know are intimidated by the layout and complexity of Final Cut Express. When iMovie makes them cringe, there's motivation to keep it around. Many camcorder users I know and work with believe that iMovie is all they need and don't need anything more. I agree with them.
  • Reply 22 of 98
    Keep your eye on what Panasonic's doing. That's a good indication of the direction FC will head.
  • Reply 23 of 98
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Final Cut update

Logic update.

New studio suite for radio/podcast professionals.
  • Reply 24 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sam Damon View Post

Keep your eye on what Panasonic's doing. That's a good indication of the direction FC will head.

I agree. stay tuned!
  • Reply 25 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Final Cut update

Logic update.

New studio suite for radio/podcast professionals.

And you believe that none of those titles will have Leopard specific elements? Just curious.
  • Reply 26 of 98
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sam Damon View Post

hah - the future's RED, baby. 4k all the way.

Support for Panny's AVC-I someway down the track, as an update.

harrison - no one's mentioned FinalTouch integration into FCP.

I really, really hope that this happens. We'll see very soon.

z axis in Motion - I hope - AND LIGHTS !
  • Reply 27 of 98
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

hah - the future's RED, baby. 4k all the way.

Support for Panny's AVC-I someway down the track, as an update.

harrison - no one's mentioned FinalTouch integration into FCP.

I really, really hope that this happens. We'll see very soon.

z axis in Motion - I hope - AND LIGHTS !

Rob wouldn't that be cool if we had enough "oomph" for 4k editing using Red and Redcine? Who knows it would certainly be Leopard only because this would likely require 64-bit QTKit frameworks. I don't don't think legacy 32-bit Quicktime frameworks have the plumbing.

I think Apple will have AVC-Intra support in FCP6. Panny is already shipping supporting product right?

I'm praying that Apple can get the bugs out of FinalTouch and integrate it nicely. Mike Curtis and others have tried it and while it shows promise it just wasn't stable enough for consistent billable work. Many have just used Red Giants Colorista and taken the time hit.

Ahhh Motion 3. Think about the new GPU coming with 768MB frame buffers and more programmable shaders. Motion 3 should be butter on a modern GPU.

Let is not forget Proximity Artbox integration. Let me hear "Final Cut Pro's Media mgtmt stink" for the last time.

And please Apple.....i've waited for Logic Pro 8 for too long. Now is the time to unleash the beast.
  • Reply 28 of 98
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

And you believe that none of those titles will have Leopard specific elements? Just curious.

Not if they want to sell many right away.
  • Reply 29 of 98
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Rob wouldn't that be cool if we had enough "oomph" for 4k editing using Red and Redcine? Who knows it would certainly be Leopard only because this would likely require 64-bit QTKit frameworks. I don't don't think legacy 32-bit Quicktime frameworks have the plumbing.

I think Apple will have AVC-Intra support in FCP6. Panny is already shipping supporting product right?

I'm praying that Apple can get the bugs out of FinalTouch and integrate it nicely. Mike Curtis and others have tried it and while it shows promise it just wasn't stable enough for consistent billable work. Many have just used Red Giants Colorista and taken the time hit.

Ahhh Motion 3. Think about the new GPU coming with 768MB frame buffers and more programmable shaders. Motion 3 should be butter on a modern GPU.

Let is not forget Proximity Artbox integration. Let me hear "Final Cut Pro's Media mgtmt stink" for the last time.

And please Apple.....i've waited for Logic Pro 8 for too long. Now is the time to unleash the beast.

1) RedCode from Red's Graeme Nattress is the answer for the downconverted formats.

4K native - I admit is somewhat down the track. And probably never for me.

2) yep - Panny's shipping soon. They stated that support for AVC-I might not be there from the get go but that they'll be working with the major NLE's for support asap. Hope it's faster than with Sony's XDCam which sorta drifted in over a year long period.

3) Just had a friend of mine do a show for me through FinalTouch. Very powerful and offers true pro colour grading. The xml flip flop is clunky but works - if Apple can do away with that and you could correct straight in the tl - well it doesn't get any better or simpler.

4) Media Mangler - I still to this day do not trust it and manage media manually. I've seen others use it successfully, tho' - I'm chicken and proud of it.

5) Motion - hmmm, I use it and like it but still go to AE for anything that might involve keyframes - maybe I'm old school. An app like Motion without Lights, Cameras and z space is a bit like a cow with a machine gun ... I hope they include those this time round.
  • Reply 30 of 98
    resres Posts: 711member
    I really hope we'll see a logic pro update with a whole new user interface. I've been using Logic for a while now and I am still uncomfortable with it (it is very powerful and comes with great instruments, but it just doesn't flow well for this old guitarist who is used to analog recording).
  • Reply 31 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Res View Post

I really hope we'll see a logic pro update with a whole new user interface. I've been using Logic for a while now and I am still uncomfortable with it (it is very powerful and comes with great instruments, but it just doesn't flow well for this old guitarist who is used to analog recording).

Res...are you using one of the latest versions of Logic with Guitar Amp? If so what do you think of GA?

I agree I think LP8 would be a huge update that would have a radically different UI. I haven't really wanted to learn Logic Pro yet because I just had this sneaking suspicion that Apple is going to totally revamp the application and that I'd be better off diving into the next version.

I think Apple is onto something and that this sunday we "may" be seeing the vestiges of their overarching Pro app UI paradigm (sorry).

I know many Final Cut Pro users that want a spiffed up UI. I know Logic Pro users that DEMAND a spiffed up UI. I know Aperture users who LOVE the UI.

My thoughts are this. I think we'll begin to see where Apple is going with UI design this sunday with FCP6 and hopefully LP8. We already know they are planning a Shake sucessor next year so whatever they deliver in homogenous UI in their Pro App 2007 will likely be the trend for the near future.

Clearly Apple loves the semi-transparent black Heads Up Display (HUD) used often but I think we're going to see other clues as well. New UI elements and widgets that will proliferate through Mac apps.

We're fully 64-bit to the core. Now it's time to start building some cool stuff.
  • Reply 32 of 98
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Res View Post

You wont see Logic at NAB, It's the wrong venue. Your thinking of NAMM. NAB will be all video.
  • Reply 33 of 98
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ashraman View Post

Any ideas on who the presenter will be?

Steve introduces the new Final Cut with Walter Murch and David Fincher.
  • Reply 34 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

BTW, when Final Cut is released, they will also release Final Cut Express, which will replace iMovie and other equivalents and maybe come free with certain systems. Apple's made a lot of money on Garage Band users moving up to Logic Express (which a low percentage really need) and Logic Express users moving to Logic Pro (which very few need), and it's a good way to sell the product to prosumers and wannabes with too much money. I also expect Logic Express to become more user friendly and replace garageband... None of this will happen until Leopard, though, as they will all add to the hype, and help prevent any disappointments when Leopard does not include definite proof of who shot J.R...

Logic > becomes Studio Musician Pro

Logic Express > becomes Studio Musician

Soundtrack Pro adds 3D interface for convolving reverb and 5.1 channel control

GarageBand > GarageBand adds new on-the-fly composing tools with AI backup musicians
  • Reply 35 of 98
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Logic > becomes Studio Musician Pro

Logic Express > becomes Studio Musician

Soundtrack Pro adds 3D interface for convolving reverb and 5.1 channel control

GarageBand > GarageBand adds new on-the-fly composing tools with AI backup musicians

Dude wrong venue. This is NAB not NAMM.
  • Reply 36 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Dude wrong venue. This is NAB not NAMM.

I know the difference. The comment was directed to specific statements here.
  • Reply 37 of 98
    Careful fellas. Broadcasting encompasses audio too.

https://nab2007.bdmetrics.com/portal...spx?id=2375623

Product Offerings
    • Pro Audio - Audio Editing

• Pro Audio - Audio Mastering

• Pro Audio - Audio Post-Production

• Pro Audio - Audio Processing and Effects

• Pro Audio - Audio Production

• Pro Audio - Audio Recording

• Acquisition and Production - Video Capture Devices and Software

• Acquisition and Production - Video Processing

• Acquisition and Production - Video Production

• Post Production - Editing and Special Effects

• Post Production - Graphics and Animation

• Post Production - Mastering and Duplication

• Post Production - Music and Sound Libraries

• Post Production - Subtitling and Closed Captioning

• Management and Systems - Digital Asset Management and Storage

• Management and Systems - Software/Applications/Middleware

• Management and Systems - Television/Newsroom Automation Systems

• Management and Systems - Video/Content Servers

• Delivery and Distribution - Streaming/Webcasting

I'd love to see Logic Pro 8 be finally announced. If it comes at NAB Apple will highlight the integration with Final Cut Studio.
  • Reply 38 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Careful fellas. Broadcasting encompasses audio too.

https://nab2007.bdmetrics.com/portal...spx?id=2375623

Product Offerings
    • Pro Audio - Audio Editing

• Pro Audio - Audio Mastering

• Pro Audio - Audio Post-Production

• Pro Audio - Audio Processing and Effects

• Pro Audio - Audio Production

• Pro Audio - Audio Recording

• Acquisition and Production - Video Capture Devices and Software

• Acquisition and Production - Video Processing

• Acquisition and Production - Video Production

• Post Production - Editing and Special Effects

• Post Production - Graphics and Animation

• Post Production - Mastering and Duplication

• Post Production - Music and Sound Libraries

• Post Production - Subtitling and Closed Captioning

• Management and Systems - Digital Asset Management and Storage

• Management and Systems - Software/Applications/Middleware

• Management and Systems - Television/Newsroom Automation Systems

• Management and Systems - Video/Content Servers

• Delivery and Distribution - Streaming/Webcasting

I'd love to see Logic Pro 8 be finally announced. If it comes at NAB Apple will highlight the integration with Final Cut Studio.

Good point, 'murch. I rescind the defense of my comments.
  • Reply 39 of 98
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    NAB:

Highly likely:

-Final Cut Studio 6

-Final Cut Express (update)

Moderately likely:

-Mac Pro + BluRay

-Mac Pro + New extreme graphics card (Nvidia?)

Somewhat likely:

-MacBook Pro (+ BluRay?)

No:

-Cinema Display (If it ain't broken, don't fix it; recent price drops)

-MacBook

Really No:

-Leopard

-iPhone

-Zebra striped "Steve-Jobs-style" turtleneck
  • Reply 40 of 98
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Good point, 'murch. I rescind the defense of my comments.

I'm desperately hoping for some new nVidia card options in the Mac Pros, any speculation as to what cards will be available? Any significant improvement over the current cards (including the X1900) would be awesome.