In short: Michigan saga, iPod supplier bust, new retail concepts

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Michigan officials have quashed suggestions they were on the take from Apple. Simultaneously, one of the iPod maker's instrumental suppliers has landed in hot water with police, and another partnership sees Apple shaking up its retail store designs.

Politicians make amends over iPod row

Democratic Party members in Michigan were eager on Friday to match words with deeds by compensating Apple for the money it spent on flying them to California for a technology demo.

The gesture was an attempt to quickly squelch the controversy generated by the trip, whose partial Apple funding implied that the computer company had tried to buy influence and win an educational contract that would have reportedly seen $36 million in iPods delivered to every Michigan child.

Representative Tim Melton was adamant that the proposal had never been meaningful, and that repaying Apple the $1,702 it had cost each of the three Democrats who made the trip was simply a way of proving the party's honesty.

"The only reason we're paying for it is to end this public perception that something is misguided," Melton said. "There was never a plan to provide an iPod for every child in the state of Michigan."

Taiwan iPod supplier caught up in police raid

Meanwhile, one of Apple's core providers for the iPod felt heat from local authorities after a high-profile raid caught out Inventec's Taipei-based offices.

Agents from the island territory's Ministry of Justice made a surprise visit to the company on Thursday that saw 22 employees grilled by investigators over concerns about insider trading and stock manipulation by executives, claims which have also affected BenQ and several other major companies in the region.

Inventec said its legal woes were unlikely affect its day-to-day business.

Apple draws on consultants for fresh store ideas

After years of using a largely stable design, Apple this week began considering new concepts for its retail shops.

The consultant group Fitch was said to be helping Apple explore fresh ideas for its overall store philosophy, and was not committing to remaking any particular stores at this early stage.

Neither Apple nor Fitch was willing to comment on the development.

Developers claim to work on third-party iPhone apps

Multiple software teams have jumped the gun on the iPhone as a platform byclaiming early compatibility with the Apple handset.

Though the mention has since been removed, Scenario Software's official page for its Scenario Poker Dashboard widget claimed it was "designed for the size of iPhone's touch screen." Similarly, a dating service utility titled iPhone flirt was shown that programmer Miguel Sciaudone insisted would be a full-fledged software package for the device -- though running through advanced web technologies.

"The app is optimized and designed specifically and only for the iPhone," he said. "Due to the restrictions Apple is placing on 3rd party applications for the iPhone, the only current solution is to use the capabilities of the Safari web browser."

Apple has generally held a "walled garden" approach to allowing programs on to the iPhone, which the California firm has said would only be extended to third parties in tightly controlled circumstances.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    It is the "Democratic Party". "Democrat Party" is a term used as an annoyance, as it sounds worse than the correct term.

Chris
  • Reply 2 of 41
    "Democrat Party members in Michigan "

This really sets my teeth on edge. There is no such thing as the "Democrat Party." There is, however, a Democratic Party in Michigan.

Democrat is a noun. Democratic is an adjective. Not only is the formulation "Democrat Party" factually incorrect, it is also grammatically incorrect.

A brief review of the "Republic Party's" poll tested rational behind popularizing this incorrect usage is available here.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    aimanaiman Posts: 5member
    "Democrat Party"

I'm glad others noticed this! Is AI now taking its cues from George Bush and Karl Rove?
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Of course, had it been Republican party members going on this trip to Cupertino, you'd be complaining about the appearance of impropriety, etc. But since it was a trip taken by Democrats, all you can do is complain about the wording of "Democrat" vs "Democratic" in the news article.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    "Democrat Party members"

I see "W" is writing for AI now.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    aimanaiman Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LanceTx View Post

Of course, had it been Republican party members going on this trip to Cupertino, you'd be complaining about the appearance of impropriety, etc. But since it was a trip taken by Democrats, all you can do is complain about the wording of "Democrat" vs "Democratic" in the news article.

The trip by Democrats had the appearance of impropriety AND "Democrat Party" is a loaded term. It's also possible to walk and chew gum at the same time.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Similarly, a dating service utility titled iPhone flirt was shown that programmer Miguel Sciaudone insisted would be a full-fledged software package for the device -- though running through advanced web technologies.

Well it sounds like a new product is in the offing, the iDate, and for the more bold the iRedLigthDistrict
  • Reply 8 of 41
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    It's Democratic party, please. No such thing as Democrat Party.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

It's Democratic party, please. No such thing as Democrat Party.

I got p.o.'d right away when I saw the usage of the phrase "Democrat Party," because it shows how far that right-wing perversion has spread into journalistic parlance. At this point in history, it is hard to tell whether the author intended to be offensive, or was simply ignorant of what the adjectival form of Democrat is. (This ignorance is caused by the confusion started by Rove and Bush when they repeatedly insert the noun where the adjective belongs to somehow tarnish the image of the Democratic Party.)

I'm sure The Shrub has convinced many weak-minded people to pronounce the word "new-kyoo-lar" instead of "new-klee-er." By the way, there is no issue: the first (the President's pronunciation) is completely and unequivocally wrong, and the second one is right.

In retribution, I use Sam Seder's pronunciation of the GOP. He calls them "Rape-ub-lic-ans." Hey, it is more true to the Latin roots of the word anyways!

UPDATE: The correct word "Democratic" was put in place of the galling "Democrat" as adjective some time after the original version of this post. Everyone who posted before me and I are not crazy. The mistake was there, but it has since been corrected. Thank you.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    The english language are under attack. U'all gotz to chill, this is the new improved free world. Proper grammar don't mean nothing.

Yea, it's sad.

My favorite is, "Apple are..."
  • Reply 11 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Exactly. Everyone knows it should be: "Apples are..."

• Reply 12 of 41
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

As has been discussed a billion and one times here on AppleInsider, "Apple are" is a correct, though uncommon, form.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

As has been discussed a billion and one times here on AppleInsider, "Apple are" is a correct, though uncommon, form.

Apple is a single entity, not plural.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... and win an educational contract that would have reportedly seen $36 million in iPods delivered to every Michigan child.

Each student needs $36 million worth of iPods?
  • Reply 16 of 41

I always look at alt-groups and forums to get the correct info. Thanks for the garbage.

You better re-educate these blokes then, University of Nottingham
  • Reply 17 of 41
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

I always look at alt-groups and forums to get the correct info. Thanks for the garbage.

You better re-educate these blocks then, University of Nottingham

I won't bother finding you more references. Just do yourself a favor and stop making a fool of yourself by proclaiming that "Apple are" is wrong; it is not.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

I won't bother finding you more references. Just do yourself a favor and stop making a fool of yourself by proclaiming that "Apple are" is wrong; it is not.

Thank you.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Each student needs $36 million worth of iPods?

Like, rock on Garth!
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LanceTx View Post

Sounds like you're making some assumptions there. I think both parties are corrupt (although one is far worse). I would also not be disrespectful to either. It cheapens the level of discourse and gets in the way of productive discussion.

And had it been Republican party members described as such, I would not have commented at all.

Chris