Wireless Mighty Mouse

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My mighty mouse has been acting up the past few days. The scroll will only scroll up now, it does not scroll down. I haven't yet tried reinstalling the software, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattss View Post

My mighty mouse has been acting up the past few days. The scroll will only scroll up now, it does not scroll down. I haven't yet tried reinstalling the software, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips?

Not to be completely unhelpful, but have you taken it back to the Apple Store? I've heard the Logitech MX Revolution is a good replacement for the Mighty Mouse.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    azcoderazcoder Posts: 44member
    It might be dirt on the little scroll ball.

Try spinning it to clear any dust....
  • Reply 3 of 7
    To be honest the mighty mouse sucks! It has typical Apple innovation and application, simplification, etc. But the QA must have been on spring break when they were preparing to release that product. I've already sent back one that came with my computer and now the second one is dying as well. There is no way to clean the scroll ball efficiently and that is a major design flaw.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    wooferwoofer Posts: 25member
    Take a look at mightymouserepair.com Good directions on how to take your mighty mouse apart and clean it. It did it to my wireless mighty mouse and it's fine now. No the little trac ball system is not the best design and the little rollers that come into contact with the ball get gunked up and won't turn any more. It's a bit of work...but it's a good learing experience and you'll see exactly why the trac ball gets balky and how to fix it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattss View Post

• Reply 5 of 7
    atlasatlas Posts: 90member
    Yeah, just clean it and it will be fine. This is my second one and it won't scroll down either, only left, right, and up.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I heard that all you gotta turn it upside down and blow into it while spinning the ball.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Yep, a 'can of air' and an optical wipe pretty much takes care of my MM when it quits scrolling in any particular direction. Culprit is usually a cat hair.