What Linux for Mac?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    Great news, khack! Glad everything was straightforward!.

If X (the display layer/keyboard/trackpad input layer) crashes after waking from sleep, or you get tired of typing /sbin/trackpad notap after waking up, you might go to <a href="http://speakeasy.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/yellowdog/1.0/users/dburcaw/xf42/ByName.html"; target="_blank">speakeasy.rpmfind.net</a> and grab XFree86 4.2 packages for yellowdog.

ciao

edit: (for fonts you just need 100dpi fonts, base fonts, and 75dpi fonts)

Also, edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and make sure you are getting true hardware accel.

Identifier\t"Card0"

\tOption\t\t"UseFBDev"

\tOption\t\t"Backingstore" #speeds things up by remembering occluded data

\tDriver\t\t"r128" #Not fbdev!!! use "ati" for rage pro 64 bit hardware

\tVendorName\t"ATI"

also, IF you u/g to X 4.2, make sure you disable two unneccesary modules or X will crash. I forget what they are called, but I think they are called "xie" and p-something Here's my module section. This only applies to 4.2

Section "Module"

\tLoad "GLcore"

\tLoad "dbe"

\tLoad "dri"

\tLoad "extmod"

\tLoad "glx"

\tLoad "record"

\tLoad "ddc"

\tLoad "bitmap"

\tLoad "freetype"

\tLoad "speedo"

\tLoad "type1"

\tLoad "vbe"

\tLoad "int10"

EndSection

I think you have to restart for 4.2 to work properly.

[ 02-15-2002: Message edited by: stimuli ]

[ 02-15-2002: Message edited by: stimuli ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 49
    Oh yeah, one really handy tip is to switch from the ext2 filesystem to ext3.

When you don't shut down properly under ext2 (ie hard restart), it manually checks every square inch of your harddisk for errors, which is painfully slow, and scary if it can't repair an error. Ext3 is a 'journalling' filesystem, so none of this is necessary.It will skip fsck(file system check)-ing your drive.

When you've gotten more familiar with linux, and compile your own kernel, you might try this:

This might require a kernel recompile, I'm not sure if YDL 2.1 has ext3 support built in. (Edit: actually, YDL 2.1 probably does, and it probably has the required e2fsprogs as well.) Enable ext3 in the kernel under 'Filesystems' (but not any debugging options for ext3), grab a more recent e2fsprogs from <a href="http://speakeasy.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/linuxPPC/contrib/software/System_Environment/Base/e2fsprogs-1.25-0.ppc.html"; target="_blank">here</a> ( rpm -Uvh e2fsprogs* ), run" tune2fs -j /dev/hdx " (where 'x' is your linux partition) and change your root device in /etc/fstab to ext3.

[ 02-15-2002: Message edited by: stimuli ]</p>
  • Reply 23 of 49
    Oh, this one's for you, kHack, I just stumbled across this on <a href="http://imaclinux.net"; target="_blank">http://imaclinux.net</a>; :

<a href="http://www.cymes.de/members/joker/projects/pbbuttons/pbbuttons.html"; target="_blank">http://www.cymes.de/members/joker/projects/pbbuttons/pbbuttons.html</a>;

it let's you use your volume/eject keys and the like.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by NoahJ:

<strong> YDL will be MUCH faster than OS X for the obvious reasons already stated many ohter places. Less resource Intensive, Less overhead, less monolithinc windows manager. </strong><hr></blockquote>

YDL is not a mach based kernel like OSX. With a mach kernel you incurr more overhead since the OS does not communicate with the hardware directly. It sends hardware requests, such as disk read/writes, to the mach server which in turn performs the hw operation. My first linux on mac was mklinux, which was also mach based with the linux portion running as an user process. Next I tried ppclinux, which was definitly faster.

• Reply 25 of 49
    Anyone wanna go over the advantages of mach again? Why did AAPL go with mach?

Because Avie Tevanian works at Apple?
  • Reply 26 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by stimuli:

<strong>Anyone wanna go over the advantages of mach again? Why did AAPL go with mach?

Because Avie Tevanian works at Apple? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Or maybe because Steve Jobs sold Next to Apple.

• Reply 27 of 49
    Sorry...message was a waste o' space...time to go to bed....

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: MacGregor ]</p>
  • Reply 28 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by kHack:

<strong> Sound works way better than in OS X - the volume goes higher and it sounds better.</strong><hr></blockquote>Bear in mind that Yellow Dog may not be designed with the iBook in mind, and you may not be doing your speakers a favour by pushing them beyond Apple's specifications (kinda like those old "blow up your monitor via .xinitrc" rumours )
  • Reply 29 of 49
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I use BeOS 5.0.3 Professional on all my older beige macs. It works extremely well. It squeezed so much more life out of em and makes them fly. seriously. BeOS is so fine tuned for the PPC that there is no lag anywhere. the OS is always responsive.

The software may be lacking now but it all depends on what you want to do. The web browser available is probably equivalent to IE 4.1 which some may not be able to handle.

The media player plays everything pretty much except for Sorenson and Qdesign. There are 3ivx codecs for the PPC BeOS available. But don't work that well on single processor machines. My dual processor 9500 handles em just fine.

There is also a Mac emulator for BeOS called SheepShaver. it works very well. The guys who make it are planning to open source it as well. What I do is make Sheepshaver one of my "workspaces" and then I just have to press F2 and I am in the Mac OS. F1 and I am in BeOS.

There are hundreds of other shareware and commercial apps available.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    (I'm a bit of an OS junkie)

I always wanted to try BeOS... it doesn't support my Powerbook which annoys me, but that's Apple's fault not Be's.

Super lean, hella threaded and hella fast. Mmmmm...
  • Reply 31 of 49
    GuitarBloke: but if the volume is super-low in OSX, he won't be able to tell that his speakers are blown, eh?

Do NOT run this xinitrc:

#!/bin/sh

/sbin/explode /dev/new_monitor &

/sbin/flames /dev/new_monitor --burst --flames &

exec self-destruct

This is totally off-topic, but then so are half my posts: I just noticed that the default Ximian Gnome settings are <a href="http://www.stimuli.ca/linux/flagrantbiting.png"; target="_blank">flagrantly biting</a> the layout of Mac OS 9... even down to the App switcher at top right! There's a 'ximian-menu' on the top left, with 'System' and help menus next to it.

If you're going to flagrantly bite, flagrantly and shamelessly bite from the best...

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: stimuli ]</p>
  • Reply 32 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by stimuli:

<strong>(I'm a bit of an OS junkie)

I always wanted to try BeOS... it doesn't support my Powerbook which annoys me, but that's Apple's fault not Be's.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh not this again. Why is it YDL supports that notebook and not Be OS? Hummmm?
  • Reply 33 of 49
    Well, I could probably do something sneaky with open firmware, but screwing w/ OpenFirmware 2.1 sounds like as much fun as having my nuts chewed off by a rabid dog.

Same w/ OpenBSD: I could get it working, but I'd rather have a life instead

So BeOS probably copped out for similar reasons.

Besides, BeOS is now toast, and reformatting my poor Toshiba 12GB drive into six partitions instead of four sounds like about as much fun as... well, not very fun.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>

Oh not this again. Why is it YDL supports that notebook and not Be OS? Hummmm?</strong><hr></blockquote>

yawn... see when be says that they support a system they , amazingly, SUPPORT IT.

BeOS will run on that powerbook likely. But they don't support it. Nor did they put any work into supporting.

YDL has. but they have much lower standards for support.

All the features of my 9500 and performa 6360 are supported in beOS. I can't say the same for YDL.

thank you.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    I just think Be was being a big ****ing cry baby. "Apple wont let us give you our wonderful OS."
  • Reply 36 of 49

<strong>

Oh not this again. Why is it YDL supports that notebook and not Be OS? Hummmm?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Way back when I emailed Be about support for newer pieces of hardware. They said the reason it was never supported was because Apple never provided them with enough information about the system architectures for them to be able to adequately support it. I'm unsure as to whether or not the thing would actually install onto the unsupported boxes, but that's the response they sent me.

I hear that Apple and YDL actually communicate about the hardware that YDL will support... but that's just what I heard, so come forth and correct me...

-j4
  • Reply 37 of 49

<strong>I just think Be was being a big ****ing cry baby. "Apple wont let us give you our wonderful OS."</strong><hr></blockquote>

Before Jobs returned Apple had worked with Be on supporting the machines, gave them test boxes, and also information on all the hardware at the lowest level so that it would work well.

When Jobs came back he cut off all that communication.

Be never supported powerbooks because that was the next thing they were working on right when Jobs returned and the powerbooks are the products they needed the information the most on due to power saving and special circumstances in portables. Be didn't want to release an OS that "supported" portables but had no power saving features or sleep capabilities.

No Linux to this day has any of those on a powerbook AFAIK
  • Reply 38 of 49
    YDL shows sleep as working for the *books.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    Actually, AppleNut, that's entirely false. With the exception of clockspeed switching, which, to be honest, I never use, Linux supports all power features, like sleep, configurable HD spindown,screen dimming/blanking etc. It also supports media bay hot swapping, etc etc.

I don't think I'd use linux (on a PB) if it didn't support sleep. I'm the type who never shuts down, as I see no reason to.

Also, BootX, Quik and YaBoot bootloaders obviously all make really low system calls. Quik is basically an OF script, and I imagine so is Yaboot.

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: stimuli ]</p>
  • Reply 40 of 49
    [quote]Actually, AppleNut, that's entirely false. With the exception of clockspeed switching, which, to be honest, I never use, Linux supports all power features, like sleep, configurable HD spindown,screen dimming/blanking etc. It also supports media bay hot swapping, etc etc.<hr></blockquote>

that's great to hear. I honestly have not tried a PPC Linux in a couple of years and that was not the case back then.

How's battery life compared to the Mac OS? Because Mac OS does some under the hood stuff. ie: OS 9 and OS X I have the same power saving settings on yet I get a lot more life out of OS 9 for some reason.

[quote]

Also, BootX, Quik and YaBoot bootloaders obviously all make really low system calls. Quik is basically an OF script, and I imagine so is Yaboot.<hr></blockquote>

correct me if I'm wrong but the beige g3s and other pre UMA G3 motherboards did not have openfirmware, correct?

Because from what I understand openfirmware is a lot more "open" then what Apple was previously using. That could be a reason that last year there were reports that Be was testing BeOS 5.5/6 on PowerMac G4 systems