Apples Next Line Of Macs

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Now that Leopard definitely wont see the light of day until October (buggered my plans right up), the topic of new Hardware has come up. It has been said (by myself for one) that Apple now have no reason to hold back new hardware. This has had me thinking though, will apple



1) Release the Next gen iMacs, Minis, Macbook and Macbook Pros between now and Jul/Aug



OR....



2) Will Apple just release interim updates using the same designs/ chipsets to plug the gap between now and Leopard, then unleash the 'Next Gen Macs'
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,358member
    You don't have any updates thusfar because Apple is waiting for the next hardware revision in May. Leopard wasn't a factor in any of these upgrades.



    Intel isn't releasing Centrino Pro until May so Apple would be foolish to release any product on Napa (the current stuff)



    Centrino Pro has a faster 800Mz bus 802.11n, and the potential for NAND technology for fast bootup.



    I'm eyeballing a Macbook if funds will allow for it.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    You don't have any updates thusfar because Apple is waiting for the next hardware revision in May. Leopard wasn't a factor in any of these upgrades.



    Intel isn't releasing Centrino Pro until May so Apple would be foolish to release any product on Napa (the current stuff)



    Centrino Pro has a faster 800Mz bus 802.11n, and the potential for NAND technology for fast bootup.



    I'm eyeballing a Macbook if funds will allow for it.



    i know santa rosa was due out in may, but u not think there was the possibility apple may have held off for a month and released leopard along with new hardware in june (assuming leopard had made the spring deadline )



    im looking at ane wimac, need a new computer in may for MSc project, was gonna hold off till june for leopard but have no reason to now.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,358member
    No. I figured Apple would ship updated Macbook and Macbook Pro as soon as they could. Last year they probably thought they'd have Leopard done and release in May but clearly that was not to be.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    Leopard is going to be dependant on hardware, and not the hardware on leopard, so it would nice if Apple would release the newer range of macs when they become available.



    But personally, i dont see that happening. I wouldn't be surprised for the new hardware to be withheld until Leopard comes along.



    I think it'll be little updates in between, no big announcements for them, just little extra bumps in the specs as standard or as configuration options.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fisha View Post


    Leopard is going to be dependant on hardware, and not the hardware on leopard, so it would nice if Apple would release the newer range of macs when they become available.



    But personally, i dont see that happening. I wouldn't be surprised for the new hardware to be withheld until Leopard comes along.



    I think it'll be little updates in between, no big announcements for them, just little extra bumps in the specs as standard or as configuration options.



    That's not going to happen. Everyone will be debuting new hardware when Centrino Pro is announced. There is no reason for Apple to wait. They've already told people Leopard is coming in October so people are free to buy hardware now without fear.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Man this whole thing just gets under my skin (most likely due to work issues not Apple issues) I new Tech is always underway. That's just the way the world works. I don't have the have the latest and greatest or anything but why no word? They know they are pushing back the OS just say "Hey hardware is coming when leopard should have hit". I know it won't happen and that's when I'm gonna get my Mac book.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Before my advice to switchers was wait till June. Now, it't buy now. My advice to myself: Wait till the hardware changes significantly. Apple wants to do incremental Wow type of things. If they release awesome new hardware AND Leopard then all the hype is in one area. Release awesome hardware before... you get tons of ppl buying for that reason. Release Leopard later... you get tons of ppl buying for leopard. It means more sales for them so they have no reason not to.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    ... They've already told people Leopard is coming in October...



    Well, NOW there saying that... but they used to say it would be here this summer... who's to say it won't be delayed again ?
  • Reply 9 of 24
    I'm rather frustrated because I've been so ready to leave the PC World and get my first Macintosh.



    I hope to have a one-time significant sum of money within the next few weeks. I probably won't have that kind of money again, unless I win the Lottery.



    I'd hoped to get a new version of OS/X along with a new computer. Now I need to save some money to upgrade to Leopard later.



    And now we're wondering if they'll have some new Macs out later this year?



    I can't wait forever, but I hate the idea that my big move to Mac would give me a quickly-outdated computer.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soul_Survivor View Post


    I'm rather frustrated because I've been so ready to leave the PC World and get my first Macintosh.



    I hope to have a one-time significant sum of money within the next few weeks. I probably won't have that kind of money again, unless I win the Lottery.



    I'd hoped to get a new version of OS/X along with a new computer. Now I need to save some money to upgrade to Leopard later.



    And now we're wondering if they'll have some new Macs out later this year?



    I can't wait forever, but I hate the idea that my big move to Mac would give me a quickly-outdated computer.



    Buy updated hardware. If you're looking for a laptop then May is your date. The next gen Mac Pro architecture isn't coming until late this year. The iMac could be based on Centrino Pro as well. It's hard to guess. Apple has many options.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I'm hoping that everything gets it's update, or in-term update by x-mas and Apple announces an updated line of Mac Pros with new internal upgrades at MWSF.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post


    I'm hoping that everything gets it's update, or in-term update by x-mas and Apple announces an updated line of Mac Pros with new internal upgrades at MWSF.



    I've decided to just go ahead an buy my Macs when I have the money.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Whatever works for you.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    csi95csi95 Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    That's not going to happen. Everyone will be debuting new hardware when Centrino Pro is announced. There is no reason for Apple to wait.



    Look how long they waited to release Mac Pro's with Quad Core chips? They were released by Intel in the Fall...



    Just because Intel releases in May, doesn't mean Apple will have new hardware at the same time.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csi95 View Post


    Look how long they waited to release Mac Pro's with Quad Core chips? They were released by Intel in the Fall...



    Just because Intel releases in May, doesn't mean Apple will have new hardware at the same time.



    They waited until Intel had 3Ghz Quad core chips available. That's a significant difference from waiting for the next chipset platform. The two scenarios offer little corellation IMO.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    How about a QUAD chip in the 24" iMac?

    That would make me really happy.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AquaMac View Post


    How about a QUAD chip in the 24" iMac?

    That would make me really happy.



    There are no immediate plans for a quad core mobile processor that I am aware of.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Something nice in a Mini....
  • Reply 19 of 24
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 916member
    With the delay in Leopard I can see Apple releasing new Macs as soon as they are ready for one simple reason - they will want to boost sales to cover the drop in sales from Leopard's delay. As soon as Intel delivers some significant gains then I think Apple will be ready. They would already have all the bits & pieces in the labs testing beta machines like mad.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post


    There are no immediate plans for a quad core mobile processor that I am aware of.



    http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/i...m?newsid=17761



    Quote:

    Also on Intel's roadmap is a quad-core Penryn mobile processor to be released during 2008, aimed at high-level gaming and mobile workstations, where users are willing to trade battery life for more performance. The chip is unlikely to find its way into most notebooks for some time.



Sign In or Register to comment.