End of April...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was considering getting an iMac up to the point of actually ordering it...

When I saw that the printer deal ends April 23rd.

So I got curious and went to the Special Deals section on the Apple Store and noticed the following:

Norton Anti-Virus - Deal Ends April 21

. Mac Rebate - Deal Ends April 23

Printer Rebate - Deal Ends April 23

That means almost all the special offers will be over within two days at the end of April. Usually when a deal ends it means a change in the product it involves.

Im thinking that a .Mac and Mac hardware update will happen before the WWDC

Anybody think the same?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Apple sells Anti-Virus software? Isn't that a bit Off Message?!
  • Reply 2 of 27
    jsnuff1jsnuff1 Posts: 37member
    when those rebates end have nothing to do with new products. Apple always renews those rebates right when they end and has been doing so the past few quarters.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    atlasatlas Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

You know, I never got that either ^_^

Very good observation, though, tkelly.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:

what it basically does is .. when you get an email with virus attached from your PC owning friends...zapps it so you dont pass it on to your other PC owning friends

or indeed if your a switcher used to PCs you think you HAVE to get anti virus software... norton will be happy to take your money... as would i... im sure i offer about as much protection
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

what it basically does is .. when you get an email with virus attached from your PC owning friends...zapps it so you dont pass it on to your other PC owning friends

or indeed if your a switcher used to PCs you think you HAVE to get anti virus software... norton will be happy to take your money... as would i... im sure i offer about as much protection

Macs can still pass PC viruses on in word and other pc files.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:

Worse yet, it the worst Anti-Virus product. I'd recommend anything else besides Norton Anti-Virus.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    the 23rd of April is a monday ..........

and is this security patch the start of the updates proceding a hardware release ??????

wheres rongold when you need him
  • Reply 8 of 27
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carlito2 View Post

the 23rd of April is a monday ..........

and is this security patch the start of the updates proceding a hardware release ??????

wheres rongold when you need him

Security updates hapen every month. That part means nothing.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Worse yet, it the worst Anti-Virus product. I'd recommend anything else besides Norton Anti-Virus.

Actually, I think using nothing is better than using Norton. Better to run a computer "naked" than wearing Norton's new clothes. From what I've seen, Norton AV just causes more problems than it solves.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:

Apple's message isn't that Macs are immune to viruses. They are pretty careful to avoid that, they say something to the effect that Macs are more secure against viruses. Unfortunately, people misinterpret what Apple's ads and lit such that they think that Macs can't get viruses. It's subtle, but they are two different things.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member

End of April: that is close to May 1st, right?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=73829

• Reply 12 of 27
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Actually, I think using nothing is better than using Norton. Better to run a computer "naked" than wearing Norton's new clothes. From what I've seen, Norton AV just causes more problems than it solves.

That dittos my sentiments exactly, but some people prefer to have AV software. Of course they don't realize that your SOL if you get infected before the new virus definitions come out. It's better to have a backup solution than AV software IMHO.

I also run my Macs without any AV.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tkelly View Post

Im thinking that a .Mac and Mac hardware update will happen before the WWDC

Anybody think the same?

May 1st is a Tuesday.

• Reply 14 of 27
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    santa rosa CPUs are releasing on May 9th
  • Reply 15 of 27
    tkellytkelly Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

santa rosa CPUs are releasing on May 9th

Quote:
    Originally Posted by http://computershopper.com/shoptalk/2007/03/07/intel_centrino_pro_set_to_laun

A year ago today, Intel officially outlined the development of its new Santa Rosa platform, which will be branded as the Centrino Pro. While the company has only offered a somewhat-vague time frame for the launch of its new chipset--"the first half of 2007" is the official word--our sources have indicated that the 4th-generation Centrino is set to be unveiled on May 9th. Along with the chipset itself, we expect to see coinciding Centrino Pro-based product launches on that date as well.

I'm willing to bet that an Apple product will be one of those "coinciding Centrino Pro-based product launches".

Now comes the crazy stuff:

The day before is May 8th, a Tuesday. No perfect time to announce updated iMacs and Mac Minis (not design, just guts) to go along with the new processor coming out the next day. Perfect timing too. No rebates for anyone to get a printer to go along with that. A rush of people will still go out and buy the updated computers.

Of course thirty-two days later, on June 11, there will be an even better release of a new design for the iMacs, Mac Minis, and Mac Books to go along with the new iPhone. Sending yet another rush of people to buy the new updated computers.

Or maybe I'm looking too into it...
  • Reply 16 of 27
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    I don't think Apple will be releasing anything around the time of the iPhone. It would distract from it, and Apple wants every last eyeball on the planet to be glued to the iPhone.

I'd agree Santa Rosa/Penryn iMacs, MacBook Pros, MacBooks, and probably the mini during May.

Then there's enough time to regrow the arm and leg.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    there was an aperture update on friday ............

see what monday brings ?????
  • Reply 18 of 27
    tkellytkelly Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsnuff1 View Post

when those rebates end have nothing to do with new products. Apple always renews those rebates right when they end and has been doing so the past few quarters.

I guess jsnuff was right. The rebates were increased until July 23rd. I also hope that he's right about the fact that it has nothing to do with new products. I don't want to wait until July 23rd...
  • Reply 19 of 27
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I am thinking that major new rev's are coming at the WWDC. Yeah they are going to talk about Leopard ? but for a full 90 minutes? I think they are going to have time to squeeze in 30-45 minutes of new hardware introductions + new versions of the iLife suite too.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

I am thinking that major new rev's are coming at the WWDC. Yeah they are going to talk about Leopard — but for a full 90 minutes? I think they are going to have time to squeeze in 30-45 minutes of new hardware introductions + new versions of the iLife suite too.

Apple usually doesn't go off-message like that. They talk to developers about things that are related to the development process. New hardware can fit development, but iLife does not. Not that I think it's likely, they might talk about third party development systems for iPod & iPhone, and I'm a little more certain they will talk about Xcode 3, Obj C 2 etc.