Apple unveils Final Cut Studio 2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sCreeD View Post

Whoa! I watched the FCServer video and they mention something along the lines of Windows users being able to preview segments. (Halfway through when the blonde woman is working). Just after that they show what looks like a Windows viewer client (??) because it's using a white pointer rather than the Mac black. The rest of interface was Pro Apps slate. They never showed it full screen to see if it had OS X or Windows window buttons.

I thought they were just referring to the video format, but is there a Windows client in the works?

Final Cut Server will have a client each for Mac OS and Windows.
  • Reply 22 of 81
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    This is the motion upgrade I've been waiting for. Bye bye After Effects!
  • Reply 23 of 81
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

This is the motion upgrade I've been waiting for. Bye bye After Effects!

Do you think ? Still no expresions though .... so camera shake , wobble and WIGGLE funstions are probably still not going to exist. ( Unless apple has wiggle plug in , that'd be cool)
  • Reply 24 of 81
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wally007 View Post

Do you think ? Still no expresions though .... so camera shake , wobble and WIGGLE funstions are probably still not going to exist. ( Unless apple has wiggle plug in , that'd be cool)

There are ways around that. Old skool skills can do all but the most demanding ones. Unless you mean amateur sources...those are of a different breed.

Sure it's nice, but that's why you pay more for higher stuff and 3rd party stuff. This is FCS, not a master collection post plus.
  • Reply 25 of 81
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wally007 View Post

For me at least.

I'm not an advanced After Effects user, there are many features I've surely never touched, but I am a big user of the camera and lighting, and now that Motion has that I'm hoping to cut one more program out of my workflow (and budget). Being able to render my animations directly in the Final Cut timeline, which don't need to be archived because they are re-renderable, is a major time and workflow saver; I've been trying to use Motion as much as possible, but find myself back in After Effects whenever I wanted to use camera and lighting effects. So at least for me, Motion should now do everything I need from an animation program at this time

Regarding wobble and wiggle, one could always opt to just keyframe the camera (especially easy with Motion's recording capabilities) if Apple doesn't allow behaviors to be applied to the camera itself.
  • Reply 26 of 81
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    so what's the verdict from the pros? Is this is a big deal that'll sell a lot of software (and of course your movies/content) and hardware or just another day?
  • Reply 27 of 81
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

so what's the verdict from the pros? Is this is a big deal that'll sell a lot of software (and of course your movies/content) and hardware or just another day?

I don't think a proper verdict can be made until the pros actually got a chance to test this software themselves. With some of it not coming out for months, that's rather hard.
  • Reply 28 of 81
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

I don't think a proper verdict can be made until the pros actually got a chance to test this software themselves. With some of it not coming out for months, that's rather hard.

No PRO here but Final cut pro has everything i've wanted now ... timeline is now on par with Premiere and everything else was already just as good or better , so that's great.

Color is something i'll have to see .... seems VERY robust from demo. If it's as advertized , it's killer app.

Motion 3 did exactly what we expected. 3D. I didnt use Motion 2 much ( if at all ) because of lack of lights / camera / 3d. Still not AE killer i was hoping for. I guess that's going to be Shake's successor.

But for christ sake , where's our GPU ?!?! My Mac Pro is dying with 7300GT. It's joke of a card for $4k machine. Motion/Color/and now parts of Final Cut pro are offloaded to GPU yet Mac's have day before yesterday's GPU's in their best computers. I dont know what to say anymore.
  • Reply 29 of 81
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Final Cut Server is coming from Apple's acquisition of Proximity Corporation and Color comes from the acquisition of Silicon Color.

FC Server was needed to compete with Avid's Unity. Proximity has an impressive client base of 150 broadcasters. That does give Apple Server a great head start.

Color is what looks most exciting for me and what I do. Unfortunately I'm not at NAB this year to test it out.

I also wish I were there to ask about RED. Apple confirms that it supports REDCODE, which is Red's codec. But they don't explicitly say if and how FCP supports 4K.
  • Reply 30 of 81
    Quote:

Color is something i'll have to see .... seems VERY robust from demo. If it's as advertized , it's killer app.

Final Touch was already a mature product.
  • Reply 31 of 81
    hugodraxhugodrax Posts: 116member
    Wow that RED camera + lens is a little more expensive than a Toyota Corolla but man its cheap in the world of pro gear though. Looks like it will be able to replace or get real close Film at that point.

For those who think 17+3K is expensive, try buying a Panavision camera and lets see how much film will cost.

Looks like for 30K you can build a nice setup for Pro work. (RED + Mac Pro and finalcut and other necessities)

I remember back when nonlinear editing was newfangled stuff running on turnkey systems costing a shitload of money, 30K would not even get you in the door just for the editor.
  • Reply 32 of 81
    Quote:

try buying a Panavision camera and lets see how much film will cost

Panavision doesn't sell cameras. Rental only.

A new Arriflex camera can get over $100,000. From what we've seen so far RED does not really replace all of the functionality of an Arri 435.

• Reply 33 of 81
    hugodraxhugodrax Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

A new Arriflex camera can get over $100,000. From what we've seen so far RED does not really replace all of the functionality of an Arri 435.

Whats a base gold + lens rental going for 4000-5000 bucks a week?

Yeah but you are talking a huge price differential and I think with the RED you are getting a shit load of bang for the buck at the moment and no film cost.

I see a new future with this new stuff coming down the pipe, opening up the doors for some quality stuff from smaller productions etc..
  • Reply 34 of 81
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Could Apple ProRes 422 be the key to something even bigger? HD quality at SD file sizes. Hmmm... Could this be used to deliver HD iTunes content?
  • Reply 35 of 81
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murk View Post

Could Apple ProRes 422 be the key to something even bigger? HD quality at SD file sizes. Hmmm... Could this be used to deliver HD iTunes content?

Of course, Apple really means compressed HD at uncompressed SD file sizes, which are not small to begin with (17MBytes/s?). These editing codecs are completely different from delivery codecs like H.264, so don't jump to conclusions.
  • Reply 36 of 81
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wmf View Post

Of course, Apple really means compressed HD at uncompressed SD file sizes, which are not small to begin with (17MBytes/s?). These editing codecs are completely different from delivery codecs like H.264, so don't jump to conclusions.

Thanks for yanking my foot out of my mouth so quickly.
  • Reply 37 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Funky View Post

Yes, just saw this too. A very unusal time to release this news on Sunday. Have never see the new product released on SUNDAY, normally release on either Monday to Wednesday.

It's not released. Still, a product announcement on a Sunday is rare. A trade show like this is a bit of an exception, they need to promote it when the expo opens tomorrow.
  • Reply 38 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sCreeD View Post

Yeah I was alluding to the relative lower cost of the camera itself.

Larger market evening news are going HD too.

Yes, but they don't need RED to do that, the extra resolution is just thrown away anyway, by the time there is a broadcast format that can use it, the footage they capture isn't that important. Granted, the defacto standard for local evening news seems to be XDCAM HD, even the cheapest of those cameras aren't that are much cheaper than the base price of RED One. I think XDCAMs are usually a complete camera without requiring expensive add-ons just to make it work, like with RED.
  • Reply 39 of 81
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Ah! For my old Arri 16Bl Quartz with Nagra. Nothing like having an assistant follow you around with a recorder.
  • Reply 40 of 81
    Quote:

Yeah but you are talking a huge price differential and I think with the RED you are getting a shit load of bang for the buck at the moment and no film cost.

Its possible, we'll have to wait until people can actually use it. You may end up getting what you pay for.

Quote:

I see a new future with this new stuff coming down the pipe, opening up the doors for some quality stuff from smaller productions etc..

This has been said every year since 2000 when Sony launched HDCAM. So far its been a mixed bag.

Quote:

Could Apple ProRes 422 be the key to something even bigger?

This is nothing new. NLE's have always used lower resolution proxy files to lower storage requirements. Back in the 90's hard drive storage was extremely expensive. These proxy files are used to cull the entire piece down to the final edit. The time code of the final edit is then used to digitize and conform the full resolution video into the final edited piece. That eliminates the need to ever store all of the raw full resolution footage.

The problem in the past has been that the low resolution proxy files looked like crap. That could make it difficult to see flaws in the image that you do see later at full resolution.