Is Illustrator and CorelDraw available for the Mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Yes or no?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    evokenevoken Posts: 56member
    Illustrator is available and the new version (CS3) has just been released.

I think Corel dropped development for CorelDRAW for Mac after version 11.

Evo
  • Reply 3 of 10
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evoken View Post

Illustrator is available and the new version (CS3) has just been released.

I think Corel dropped development for CorelDRAW for Mac after version 11.

Corel had a Mac version as "recent" as that? Or is it updated every three years and thus 11 would not be OS X compatible?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Corel had a Mac version as "recent" as that? Or is it updated every three years and thus 11 would not be OS X compatible?

Both CorelDRAW 10 and 11 were available for Mac OS X, and is confirmed to work even on a MacBook Pro (through Rosetta, I assume).

But, really, Corel pulled the same nonsense as many other companies: budge in to release a Mac app, find out people aren't buying it, cite "lack of interest" and pull it again, rather than, oh, thinking about why it wasn't a success. (Hint: crappy port.)
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

But, really, Corel pulled the same nonsense as many other companies: budge in to release a Mac app, find out people aren't buying it, cite "lack of interest" and pull it again, rather than, oh, thinking about why it wasn't a success. (Hint: crappy port.)

That, and a lot of companies (especially game designers) are abandoning macs now that Bootcamp should come standard with Leopard. I think in the future, most people who want to play decent games on Mac will also sadly have to buy Vista...
  • Reply 6 of 10
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

That, and a lot of companies (especially game designers) are abandoning macs now that Bootcamp should come standard with Leopard. I think in the future, most people who want to play decent games on Mac will also sadly have to buy Vista...

That's kind of non-sense. They never were here. They left it to MacSoft, Feral, Aspyr, and others. And the aren't abandoning anything. Mac users would prefer to buy a $50 game than a $200 OS + game + reboot + harddisk space, etc... If anything, I think Mac games have increased.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Can you cite any developers that are dropping the Mac for that reason?

I really can't say that it's nonsense, but I don't think I agree that it's a serious problem.

Generally, I'd rather have companies that specialize in the platform anyway. Applying conventions from one platform on another usually ends badly for most. Aspyr, et. al. are probably good examples of companies that specialize on the platform.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    aryayusharyayush Posts: 191member
    Thanks for the answers! I am going to buy CS3.

Wish Corel had been there too. They teach CorelDraw at my institute and I already have to suffer Windows there. I cannot bear using it on my MBP just for one program.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

That's simply not true.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

That, and a lot of companies (especially game designers) are abandoning macs

Such as??