Buy at Apple Store, or MacMall?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited December 2014
Maybe I'm missing something, but it appears I could save around $300 on a Mac Pro by buying from MacMall.

Why is there such a price difference? Is Apple merely making a better profit if we buy from their store?

Does it take any longer to get a "stock" Mac Pro from MacMall than from the Apple Store?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soul_Survivor View Post

Maybe I'm missing something, but it appears I could save around $300 on a Mac Pro by buying from MacMall.

Why is there such a price difference? Is Apple merely making a better profit if we buy from their store?

Does it take any longer to get a "stock" Mac Pro from MacMall than from the Apple Store?

on line store has no tax?
  • Reply 2 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

on line store has no tax?

Both the Apple store and MacMall are online stores.

I've seen some online stores add the tax.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:

First, is their shipping charge from Mac Mall, if so what? Apple is free. . Second, did you go all the way to checkout at Mac Mall? Sometimes, on online stores until you go to checkout, you don't see "rebates" factored into price. If there are rebates check carefully.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Thanks. I went through the checkout at Mac Mall.

They have mail-in rebates. I didn't see any tax included in the transaction.

The Apple Store quoted taxes.

I just got the money I've been expecting, and I plan on buying a Mac Pro and Mac Book Pro.

We have a new Best Buy in town, and I plan on checking with them tomorrow.

If they have the "stock" versions of these computers in the store, I'll likely buy them both there.

I've been waiting a long time.

I plan on adding more memory and hard drives to the Mac Pro later.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Quote:

Thanks. I went through the checkout at Mac Mall.

They have mail-in rebates. I didn't see any tax included in the transaction.

The Apple Store quoted taxes.

I just got the money I've been expecting, and I plan on buying a Mac Pro and Mac Book Pro.

We have a new Best Buy in town, and I plan on checking with them tomorrow.

If they have the "stock" versions of these computers in the store, I'll likely buy them both there.

I've been waiting a long time.

I plan on adding more memory and hard drives to the Mac Pro later.

Best Buy??? They usually have the worst prices except occasionally for specials. I use BB to look but never to buy. Maybe with their new Mac tie-in, they'll match the Apple store, but lower? I don't think so.

MacMall may be in no tax NH, I forget but they may not charge taxes. You should be able to determine on website. Something for you to consider since your final bill is going to be ~6k. Re memory and other upgrades, online offers good prices better than Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    I think you're missing the point.

I'm talking about the prices at the Apple Online store, and the Mac Mall Online store.

The price of the Mac Pro at the Mac Mall is about $300 cheaper than the Apple online store.

The Mac Mall also has a mail in rebate. The Apple store does not.

The online Apple store listed tax when I went to the shopping cart. The Mac Mall did not.

I just called my local Best Buy. They do NOT have any Macintoshes. I'm not surprised because it appears to be a very small store. I hadn't been able to visit them yet because I don't have a car.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Quote:

I think you're missing the point.

I'm talking about the prices at the Apple Online store, and the Mac Mall Online store.

The price of the Mac Pro at the Mac Mall is about $300 cheaper than the Apple online store.

The Mac Mall also has a mail in rebate. The Apple store does not.

The online Apple store listed tax when I went to the shopping cart. The Mac Mall did not.

I just called my local Best Buy. They do NOT have any Macintoshes. I'm not surprised because it appears to be a very small store. I hadn't been able to visit them yet because I don't have a car.

Cool.Good luck. I thought you said you might buy at BB.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Quote:

MacMall may be in no tax NH, I forget but they may not charge taxes.

MacMall is not in New Hampshire, but Mac/PC Connection is (in fact, they are right down the road from me).

As for taxes, New Hampshire does not have any sales tax.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    kingmekingme Posts: 70member
    Quote:

If you want something custom (like a different drive or more memory) you have to go through Apple.com. Be aware that once you order a modified Mac, it's YOURS. No returns unless its DOA. If you buy a stock Mac and it goes bad you can exchange it at your local Apple store.

If you buy from Apple.com, you can become a student (they don't check) and get a discount too.

If you buy from MacMall, the prices seem to be similar but they often throw in bonus software or hardware.

I'd buy with AMEX because they seem to back you up if something goes wrong. \
  • Reply 10 of 41
    I'm looking at the various possibilities of where to buy my Mac(s).

I live in a small town of Maine, so my options for local stores are rather limited.

I thought of the new local Best Buy store since it is close. I called, and they don't carry Macs.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Quote:

I live in a small town of Maine, so my options for local stores are rather limited. I thought of the new local Best Buy store since it is close. I called, and they don't carry Macs.

I don't trust the Best Buys, Circuit Cities or CompUSAs anymore. I think they sell returned items or the stuff that is older than is being produced right now.

I bought from Apple.com and had my machine in two days.

Where are you in Maine? My family is from Oakland!
  • Reply 12 of 41
    I'm in Lewiston, about 50 miles from Portland.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Quote:

I'm in Lewiston, about 50 miles from Portland.

My cousins live in Scarborough now. I love Oakland. I know all the fishing holes on Messalonskee.

Buy from Apple.com (through their educational link).
  • Reply 14 of 41
    I'm not originally from Maine... I don't know the areas you're talking about. I pretty much hang out in my area.

I'm leaning toward the Apple site now, and trying to moderate my impulses a bit.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:

I'm not originally from Maine... I don't know the areas you're talking about. I pretty much hang out in my area.

You've got to get out more.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Yes, you're right.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    My last 2 major purchases were made at the local Apple Store and Apple's website. When buying Apple stuff I only deal with HQ.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Retailers like MacMall usually throw in shitty deals like, "Buy a mac and we will give you a FREE PRINTER!! OMG!"

What they don't tell you is that these "free" printers have tiny ass ink cartridges which you have to pay through the nose to replace every time they run out. LAME.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    I just ordered my 24" iMac with 2 GB RAM, and a 500 GB hard drive.

I'm so excited.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Quote:

I just ordered my 24" iMac with 2 GB RAM, and a 500 GB hard drive.

Sweet! That is a nice animal there!