Starcraft OSX patch problem

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I downloaded the SC OSX patch and installed it. Now when I try to start the game I get a "can't find file Local" error. What the heck is this? I tried reinstalling several times but to no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    [quote]Originally posted by gobble gobble:

<strong>I downloaded the SC OSX patch and installed it. Now when I try to start the game I get a "can't find file Local" error. What the heck is this? I tried reinstalling several times but to no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I get the same thing. Anyone?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Did you follow the directions exactly? I remember when I installed it the directions seemed a little odd, but I followed them and it worked. I seem to remember people having trouble if they didn't do the alias thing right. Try reinstalling the original and then do the alias thing that the directions talk about.

BTW, is there a way I can play without having my cd in the drive? (Yes, I own the game but I don't always have the CD with my ibook)
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Problem solved. After some experimenting I found that if you drag all of the patch files into the Starcraft Files folder individually, rather than as a folder as recommended by the directions, then everything works. No need to make an alias, just double-click on the Starcraft (carbon) icon. Let me know if this doesn't work for you.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>BTW, is there a way I can play without having my cd in the drive? (Yes, I own the game but I don't always have the CD with my ibook)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sure - create a disk image with Disk Copy. Then just mount it when you want to play.
  • Reply 5 of 9

<strong>Problem solved. After some experimenting I found that if you drag all of the patch files into the Starcraft Files folder individually, rather than as a folder as recommended by the directions, then everything works. No need to make an alias, just double-click on the Starcraft (carbon) icon. Let me know if this doesn't work for you.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Which part is confusing? The instructions seem pretty clear and straightforward to me.

1) Find the Starcraft folder on your hard drive, and open it.

2) Open the Starcraft Files folder.

3) Drag all the files from the ?Brood War 109 for Mac OS X? folder into the ?Starcraft Files? folder.

4) Close the Starcraft Files folder.

5) Select the Starcraft (Carbon) file in your Starcraft Files folder.

6) Choose Make Alias from the File Menu.

7) Move the new alias file to the Starcraft Folder.

8) Double click the Starcraft (Carbon) alias to play.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by ColorClassicG4:

<strong>

Sure - create a disk image with Disk Copy. Then just mount it when you want to play.</strong><hr></blockquote>

But I mean without having to use all the space that an image would take. I'll do a full install of the game if I need to, but I'd rather not have 500meg images sitting on my puny 10gb HD unless I have to. TIA.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by a2daj:

<strong>

Which part is confusing? The instructions seem pretty clear and straightforward to me.

1) Find the Starcraft folder on your hard drive, and open it.

2) Open the Starcraft Files folder.

3) Drag all the files from the “Brood War 109 for Mac OS X” folder into the “Starcraft Files” folder.

4) Close the Starcraft Files folder.

5) Select the Starcraft (Carbon) file in your Starcraft Files folder.

6) Choose Make Alias from the File Menu.

7) Move the new alias file to the Starcraft Folder.

8) Double click the Starcraft (Carbon) alias to play.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It seemed clear and straightforward to me too. And I followed the instructions to the letter, several times. Problem is, it didn't work. And apparently, I'm not the only one to have this problem. Hence, the work around.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    A disk image will NOT work. Currently, the only way to play SC without the CD in the drive is to download a hack. However, Im not sure there are any for the Mac. Blizzard intentionally put CD protection on SC and all their games(dont know about earlier than SC) to prevent piracy. I know its a hastle for us legal owners, but seriously I would even probably have pirated it if they didnt include the protection. Its good for Blizzard's finances and no more.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member

<strong>Problem solved. After some experimenting I found that if you drag all of the patch files into the Starcraft Files folder individually, rather than as a folder as recommended by the directions, then everything works. No need to make an alias, just double-click on the Starcraft (carbon) icon. Let me know if this doesn't work for you.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If I remember correctly, they said to copy the CONTENTS, not the whole folder. And it worked fine for me first time.