Bot-detection/deletion

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
1) Capatcha on sign up if it's not there already

2) Delete multiple accounts with same exact birthday (i.e. like there were something like 20 accounts with the same birthday and date that were bogus a few days ago.

3) Delete accounts that have less than 10 posts after 1 month of signing up.

Might help a bit with all of the fake sign-ups

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

1) Capatcha on sign up if it's not there already

2) Delete multiple accounts with same exact birthday (i.e. like there were something like 20 accounts with the same birthday and date that were bogus a few days ago.

3) Delete accounts that have less than 10 posts after 1 month of signing up.

Might help a bit with all of the fake sign-ups

I agree with all but number 3. Some people just don't have a lot to say, but like to keep an account to comment on the News/Rumors that Apple Insider posts from time to time.

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 7
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

I agree with all but number 3. Some people just don't have a lot to say, but like to keep an account to comment on the News/Rumors that Apple Insider posts from time to time.

Sebastian

I don't mean that you would have to post 10 posts per month... I just mean that after one month, a user should have ten posts or log in more than say.... 5 times. Something like that. Once you make your 10 posts... your account's permanent. I just say that because I see a lot of these bot accounts with 0 or 1 posts.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

I don't mean that you would have to post 10 posts per month... I just mean that after one month, a user should have ten posts or log in more than say.... 5 times. Something like that. Once you make your 10 posts... your account's permanent. I just say that because I see a lot of these bot accounts with 0 or 1 posts.

Well using that Captcha (or whatever it's called) trick should reduce that number. But requiring 10 posts in the first month, or even 5 logins will annoy new users.

Sebastian
  • Reply 4 of 7
    kingmekingme Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Well using that Captcha (or whatever it's called) trick should reduce that number.

There are bots that can actually READ captchas... which is better than me because those damn things trip ME up and I'm human (though that has been open for debate).
  • Reply 5 of 7
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiNGME View Post

There are bots that can actually READ captchas... which is better than me because those damn things trip ME up and I'm human (though that has been open for debate).

There are bots that can read really weak capatchas. The strong capatchas are hard to read. And then there are ones that ask you to complete an instruction. For example, what is 10-6?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I guess the best captchas would have you read a word and perform an operation and append them together somehow. For example,

Put "5-3" after the fourth letter of the word you see.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    kingmekingme Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt View Post

I guess the best captchas would have you read a word and perform an operation and append them together somehow. For example, Put "5-3" after the fourth letter of the word you see.

There must be a plugin for vBulletin that puts your posters through a "trust" test. While on another Mac forum I noticed that my first three or so posts had to be modified by a sysop. After they saw that my first few posts were real they released the moderation and now my posts go live right after I post them.

Since most spammers are lazy a-holes, I'd have to think that this strategy is very effective in detecting hit and run posters.